HR10-250 Dying Whats Next?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rustolemite

SatelliteGuys Family
Dec 8, 2004
Pineville, LA
my HR10-250 looks like its finally dying and wanted to know what I should do next ... should I buy another HR10-250 or get Directv's version of HD-DVR ? Also will I need to upgrade my dish as well ? I have the 3 LNB for HD right now. Thanks for any advice.

Rustolemite

Call Directv, talk to retention group, get the 5 LNB Slimline dish installed for free and see what you can get for HR20 deals. You can always buy an HR10-250 on ebay if you want another receiver but as an HD receiver, that has a limited life span outside of OTA channels.

Yeah Brewer says it all, after a period of which Directv hasn't specified, the HR10-250 will just be able to get SD channels because all HD is moving over to Mpeg-4 which the HR10 can't decode.

If you own your HR10-250 (not leased), call DIRECTV and tell them it's dying. That's what I did, I got them to give me a free HR20, with new dish and free installation (I had to enter a 2 year agreement)

Once I got all the new equipment up and running and was happy with it, I tested the Hard drive in my HR10-250 and determined it was defective. I just sold my HR10-250 with bad hard drive on eBay for $153 + $18 shipping costs. the Hr20 is great, I was a little leary at first, but I don't regeret the move at all.

Does it currently have any function of value? Can I view movies on my TV that are based on my PC? Or pix?

You can stream pics and music, but I don't think you can do video.

next dumb question , can you actually own a " HR20-700" if I buy it off ebay or will I still just be leasing it ????

thanks

rustolemite

You can buy one but its like 600 or so dollars to own. So when you see one on ebay for 200-300 bucks, its not owning, its the upfront lease fee. If you do buy, make sure when activating it, they put it down as owned. If you don't enforce the point, they will usually put it down as lease on the bill.

You can buy one but its like 600 or so dollars to own. So when you see one on ebay for 200-300 bucks, its not owning, its the upfront lease fee. If you do buy, make sure when activating it, they put it down as owned. If you don't enforce the point, they will usually put it down as lease on the bill.

Make that more like $ 800 ... to purchase

Hmmm. I needed an HD upgrade to a TiVO no-HD unit so I ordered the 5-LNB dish upgrade with the HR-20. First HR-20 failed to power up. The tech had another one on his truck which worked for 3 hours before beginning to lose (as in fade to black) channels. Call to Tech Support (prompt and courteous) resulted in repeated "red button" reboots without success. Getting 3d unit in 2 business days.
Compared with my DIRECTV TiVO unit in the living room, I am not impressed by the dubious quality of this unit, nor do I like the operating system and capabilities.
Have been a loyal DirecTV customer for 8 years, but if it comes down to a choice between TiVO and DirecTV, DirecTV will lose.

Hmmm. I needed an HD upgrade to a TiVO no-HD unit so I ordered the 5-LNB dish upgrade with the HR-20. First HR-20 failed to power up. The tech had another one on his truck which worked for 3 hours before beginning to lose (as in fade to black) channels. Call to Tech Support (prompt and courteous) resulted in repeated "red button" reboots without success. Getting 3d unit in 2 business days.
Compared with my DIRECTV TiVO unit in the living room, I am not impressed by the dubious quality of this unit, nor do I like the operating system and capabilities.
Have been a loyal DirecTV customer for 8 years, but if it comes down to a choice between TiVO and DirecTV, DirecTV will lose.

It looks like you've been struck by lightning, twice. I hate seeing stories like this that start off on a bad foot. I had one of the original HR20's back in September and its worked pretty well since start (albeit several bugs via software fixes). So hopefully the third one fixes it and you can evaluate the unit as it should. I think you just hit a massive case of bad luck. But then, better to have it fail immediately then go through tons of calls and annoying small issues. So there is a lucky and bright side to the story. ;)

Thanks sir1jaguar but we only need this posted one place please.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)