HR10-250 multiswitch wiring questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

janzy

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Aug 18, 2004
I decided to add a rooftop HD antenna to my system today and screwed something up!
I have 1 SD Directtv Tivo unit, a Zenith HD520 box and a HR10-250.
All were working properly until I started screwing around.
I have an oval 3 lnb dish with the old 4x4 multiswitch mounted to the back of the dish. From there the wires drop into the basement where I installed a Terk 5x8 multiswitch. The five wires drop from the rooftop multiswitch and the HD antenna and feed into the Terk unit, then feed upstairs to my equipment.
Then the fun starts!
The HD520 feeds from a diplexor and both the sat and off air pq is great....
The HR10-250 will not recognize Sat 2, only Sat 1 and I don't get all my off air channels (machine has scanned for them).
Can someone tell where I am messing up.
Thanks

I don't believe you can use both multiswitches at the same time so you need to bypass the 4x4 and go directly into the 5x8 from the LNBs. At least that's the way I wired my old style 3 LNB dish.
2 connections from sat A LNB to MS.
1 connection from sat B LNB to MS.
1 connection from sat B and 1 connection from sat C into special combiner then into MS.

I know you can use both, the one on the roof is attached to the back of the dish.

Some multiswitches can be used with the 4x4 one on the dish but maybe the Terk MS you have cannot. For example, I have a Spaun 5x20 MS that has a little switch on it that allows the 4x4 MS on the dish (or a phase III dish) to be used. When I installed the dish I decided not to use the 4x4 so I had to set the Spaun switch correctly. Maybe there's something in your Terk instructions that mention this. Otherwise to use the Terk, you'll need to go to the roof and rewire to bypass the 4x4.

HR 10-250 Multiswitch Wiring Questions

janzy said:
I decided to add a rooftop HD antenna to my system today and screwed something up!
I have 1 SD Directtv Tivo unit, a Zenith HD520 box and a HR10-250.
All were working properly until I started screwing around.
I have an oval 3 lnb dish with the old 4x4 multiswitch mounted to the back of the dish. From there the wires drop into the basement where I installed a Terk 5x8 multiswitch. The five wires drop from the rooftop multiswitch and the HD antenna and feed into the Terk unit, then feed upstairs to my equipment.
Then the fun starts!
The HD520 feeds from a diplexor and both the sat and off air pq is great....
The HR10-250 will not recognize Sat 2, only Sat 1 and I don't get all my off air channels (machine has scanned for them).
Can someone tell where I am messing up.
Thanks

Here's some possible solutions:

1. Is the antenna cable hooked up to the right port on the multiswitch (on my Terk 5X8 it's the middle port)?

2. Is the switch hooked up to AC power?

3. On the back of the HR 10-250, do you have one of the cable feeds separated by a diplexer (with a bypass for voltage) with one line going to the satellite in port and the antenna side going to the antenna in port?

4. If all the above is ok, there's a possibility the 4 way at the dish is bad or the multiswitch is bad.

I have a very similar set-up (oval dish with the 4 way switch built into the dish and 4 lines going to the multiswitch and a separate OTA in the attic). My works just fine?

Hope this helps and good luck!

It's no big deal, and you don't need more components, except for four F81 barrel connectors for the cables.

All you need to do is to remove the 4x4 switch on the back if the Phase I three lnb elliptical dish. Make sure you mark the cables for the 101 lnb, which are connected to the Channel Master 4x4 switch. The switch connections are marked wit Sat A. These are connected with the 101 or Sat A cables that go to that position on the Terk switch. There will be a special diplexor that is called the Sat C combiner. It looks like a standard splitter. Do not remove the two cables from the lnb's going to this combiner on one side. Remove the single cable on the other side. Connect the cable from the 4x4 switch going into the connection marked Sat b. Connect the last cable going to the sat b connection with a barrel connector to the last cable going to the Terk switch.

Perform a check switch with any receiver. If you do not get a signal for 110, you need to interchange the two Sat B cables going into the Terk switch.

It's as simple as that. You might want to weatherproof the connections by applying a drop of 100% pure silicone grease on the tip of all of the center conductors of the cables going into the connectors. You can get the grease at any auto parts store. It is fold for about $3 a tube at any auto parts store. After doing that, wrapping the connections with three layers of electrical tape might be a good idea. I also like to coat the connection with pvc pipe glue. It seals it out water well. Yet, you can still cut it open and remove the tape with a knife.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sunday Ticket billing question

Q re HR10-250 Tivo menu vs. DirecTV menu

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)