HR20-700 is a very good DVR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

HDhysteria

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
40 miles west of chicago
i will not say excellent because it is lacking some things that would make it so. With that being said, I have had the box for over 6 months and I must say that I am very very pleased with its performance. It's electronics, it's a computer, how may times have you rebooted windows in the last 6 months? I like it, could it be better? Of course. Could it be worse, It sure could.

I prefer it to the HR10, and that's not just because it can receive the MPEG 4 HD and the HR10 can't.

What makes the HR20-700 different, or better, than the HR20-100? And the same question applies to the HR21.

So does this receiver need an external antenna to pick up OTA broadcasts? That is a nice feature if that is the case.

I am almost ready to leave Comcrap and am looking to make the switch either back to dish for the 622 or to the new frontier for me getting Direct and this receiver.

Edit: Researched to learn of the RF remote. I guess they were catching up to Dish network there.

So does this receiver need an external antenna to pick up OTA broadcasts? That is a nice feature if that is the case.

I am almost ready to leave Comcrap and am looking to make the switch either back to dish for the 622 or to the new frontier for me getting Direct and this receiver.

Edit: Researched to learn of the RF remote. I guess they were catching up to Dish network there.
all of them need an external antenna to pick up OTA(except the HR-21 it doesnt have an OTA tuner)

Its an internal or external antenna for the remote they are talking about.

I have a HR20-700 and I cannot hear it. Open air ent center about 10 ft away. I know have the free agent ext hdd and still dont hear anything.

I love my HR20's (-700 & -100)

I always read where people who have had HR10-250's & those from Dish complain about the functionality of these boxes.

I have he ZERO problems getting used to this box, in fact it was a breeze. and yes I have an older R10 Tivo unit, so I know the differences.

OK so you don't have tuner toggling, but there is a work around.

I'm just getting tired of listening to people complain about how difficult the HR20's are to navigate.

Basically what I'm saying is that if you can't figure this box out or even get used to it, than either I'm a friggin genius, or those who trouble with these are... Well, you get the point.

So, quit crying like little be-othches and either accept this unit for what it is, or go to Dish, Comcrap, TWC, etc. Go pay more for less, or push a couple more buttons on the HR20 remote and stop with the tears.

_

I always read where people who have had HR10-250's & those from Dish complain about the functionality of these boxes.

I have he ZERO problems getting used to this box, in fact it was a breeze. and yes I have an older R10 Tivo unit, so I know the differences.

I'm just getting tired of listening to people complain about how difficult the HR20's are to navigate.

Basically what I'm saying is that if you can't figure this box out or even get used to it, than either I'm a friggin genius, or those who trouble with these are... Well, you get the point.

So, quit crying like little be-othches and either accept this unit for what it is, or go to Dish, Comcrap, TWC, etc. Go pay more for less, or push a couple more buttons on the HR20 remote and stop with the tears.

_

Well said. I've been thinking the same thing for quite a while now.

I've heard stories from time to time that either the -100 or -700 is quieter. Is this true, and if so, which is quieter?

I have both, and my -700 can be louder.

2 reasons:

1. When the box is not level, it buzzes, level it, it goes away.

2. The -700 has a lot more venting, therefore I do hear the fan more.

_

:D

I know folks like to say how intuitive TiVo is, to which I'd respond, if it's so intuitive, it would have shut off "Suggestions" without making me do it because it would have known how useless I find it.

nothing pisses me off more than not being able to receive all of my ota channels. Ive been contacting directv about this but cant make any headway. they need to update their channel database to reflect all channels within 75 miles of any zipcode so that you can receive all channels in your area.

nothing pisses me off more than not being able to receive all of my ota channels. Ive been contacting directv about this but cant make any headway. they need to update their channel database to reflect all channels within 75 miles of any zipcode so that you can receive all channels in your area.

I totally agree.

Even though I despise TWC, one thing they did was good.

I live between 2 major cities, Milwaukee. & Chicago, TWC gave me locals from both locations, where D* only gives me Milwaukee. What sucks is I work in Chicago and liked being able to see the local traffic report before leaving for work.

I had 2 cbs's 2 nbc's, 2 pbs's, 2 abc's, and most of what was on there was duplicates, however Milwaukee's cbs won't allow D* to broadcast their HD signal, so in order for me to get it, I need a HUGE antenna for OTA.

I know this is off topic, and has nothing to do with the HR20, but I thought I should chime in
:D

_

AMEN !

HR20-700 is pretty good

I have to agree that the HR20-700 (I have 2 of them) is pretty good....it's not a Tivo, but close....I have personal experience with 4 different DVR's...Tivo was the best, HR20-700 is 95% of Tivo (and in some ways I like it better).....I had a Comcrap DVR service at my other house, it was TERRIBLE...so I switched to Dish Network at my other house, and that was completely UNUSABLE also...I mean it was so frustrating, my wife DEMANDED I rip the dish off the side of the house and ship the box back. Also, I DO like the fact that we get functionality updates periodically. Now, if they would JUST put the screen adjustment function like on the non-DVR's, I'd be set.

Now, if they would JUST put the screen adjustment function like on the non-DVR's, I'd be set.

Yea, that would be nice. I was watching one of the new HD channles last night, and some of the bottom (test, etc.) was chopped off, not sure if I missed anything good, but it would have been nice to see.

I have both, and my -700 can be louder.

2 reasons:

1. When the box is not level, it buzzes, level it, it goes away.

2. The -700 has a lot more venting, therefore I do hear the fan more.

_

I'm on my second -100 and it may be a third soon. My other -700 is very quiet but my current -100 buzzes quite frequently. The first -100 made too much racket with the disk accessing but didn't buzz like the current one. Maybe part of the issue is that I'm using the problem receivers in a second smaller room.....a study where you can hear this stuff more easily than, say, in a living room. In any case, they can make these units better. I think the -700s are built better than the -100s.

Well comparing Tivo(HR10) to my current HR20-700, these are my pet peevs;
CONS
1- I press info button, and I must press again to remove it--not with Tivo
2- No station logo in playlist--Tivo had it
3- I see a program in my playlist that I've seen already, I still havent figured out how to delete that one program without deleting the entire season pass--Tivo could delete the single program
4- Tivo had a smoother fast forwarding motion(not a biggie) :)
5- Remote control volume and channel buttons are set too low for ease of use.
6- But my biggest problem is no OTA scanning with HR20. :( Especially considering the H20 has it.

PROS

1- I like active button(seems to be inactive on weekends) :rolleyes:
2- MPEG4 capable

I know some of those seemed like knit picking, but just pointing out what bothers me.

I'm on my second -100 and it may be a third soon. My other -700 is very quiet but my current -100 buzzes quite frequently. The first -100 made too much racket with the disk accessing but didn't buzz like the current one. Maybe part of the issue is that I'm using the problem receivers in a second smaller room.....a study where you can hear this stuff more easily than, say, in a living room. In any case, they can make these units better. I think the -700s are built better than the -100s.

The card door on my 100 buzzes, a small piece of felt solved the problem for me.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts