HR20 is a piece of junk

Status
Please reply by conversation.

viewer1xyz

Original poster
Nov 20, 2004
I am new to the HDTV version of DirecTV. I bought an HR20-700 and after a few days it started freezing - with pixelation and sound dropouts. It only happened on my local channels and on the HDTV channels.

A serviceperson came out - checked the signal levels - mostly in the 80s and 90s. He replaced the HR20-700 with an HR20-100.

The problem returned within hours after he left.

Yet another service person came out and did a "hard restart" - punching in 02468 after a reset. That helped for less than one day. The set still does not work.

On local channels and on HDTV channels the picture freezes - get pixelated, and the sound drops out. In most cases the set then changes itself to a different channel - always the same, wrong channel. The new channel comes up for a second or two - or else it freezes on the screen for several seconds. Channel 9 (local), for example, always switches itself to channel 610 (CSTV) during the dropout/pixelation period.

I am ready to throw this piece of junk into the woods. I cannot watch local channels or HDTV. Every 30 seconds the picture and sound go crazy - and, now, so am I!!!!

I dread getting back into the DirecTV phone system and talking to yet one more person who walks me through the same, stupid setup procedure. I would love to have service person number 4 come out - but only if he/she is willing to stay for 24 hours and watch the problem develop. -And then fix it !!!

I tried directing a fan onto the HR20-100, but that did no good either. I replaced the 2 small boxes on the signal cable input at the set (whatever they are called) and it did not help.

I have 2 older DVRs that are not HDTV -not HR20s - they are on the same Zinwall WB68 splitter and they have NO problems - local channels are just fine on them. Of course, they do not get HDTV.

I am out of ideas and patience. I hate the HR20 !!!!!!!!!

What would you do?????

Sorry to hear your having problems with your system.
What kind of Sat dish do you have? Did a tech install it? Is this a new system with a couple of older SD tuners?

Sounds like a dish alignment / interference problem to me.

What are the signal levels of the 103b transponders?

It could be worse. I tried AT&T Dish Homezone for four months and am thrilled with the stability and quality of service I get from my HR20-100S.

Obviously something is wrong with your setup. Mostly likely it is your installation. Is it bad on both tuners? Are all your connectors tight? Do you have good signals on all the sats and tps? Is the Dish grounded? Is you AC power clean? Did they use good new cable?

It sounds like a Dish alignment problem to me too. What do you get off 103b?

All these thing you can check yourself. Want it done right? Do it yourself!

not sure, but one thing you said made me think. the new channels with the bbc's are on the same frquency as ota's (so I understand) so if you have diplexers with your previous installation maybe that is the point of conflict.

I am new to the HDTV version of DirecTV. I bought an HR20-700 and after a few days it started freezing - with pixelation and sound dropouts. It only happened on my local channels and on the HDTV channels.

A serviceperson came out - checked the signal levels - mostly in the 80s and 90s. He replaced the HR20-700 with an HR20-100.

The problem returned within hours after he left.

Yet another service person came out and did a "hard restart" - punching in 02468 after a reset. That helped for less than one day. The set still does not work.

On local channels and on HDTV channels the picture freezes - get pixelated, and the sound drops out. In most cases the set then changes itself to a different channel - always the same, wrong channel. The new channel comes up for a second or two - or else it freezes on the screen for several seconds. Channel 9 (local), for example, always switches itself to channel 610 (CSTV) during the dropout/pixelation period.

I am ready to throw this piece of junk into the woods. I cannot watch local channels or HDTV. Every 30 seconds the picture and sound go crazy - and, now, so am I!!!!

I dread getting back into the DirecTV phone system and talking to yet one more person who walks me through the same, stupid setup procedure. I would love to have service person number 4 come out - but only if he/she is willing to stay for 24 hours and watch the problem develop. -And then fix it !!!

I tried directing a fan onto the HR20-100, but that did no good either. I replaced the 2 small boxes on the signal cable input at the set (whatever they are called) and it did not help.

I have 2 older DVRs that are not HDTV -not HR20s - they are on the same Zinwall WB68 splitter and they have NO problems - local channels are just fine on them. Of course, they do not get HDTV.

I am out of ideas and patience. I hate the HR20 !!!!!!!!!

What would you do?????

You just have really bad luck. You had D* and had problems so you switched to E* and had problems and now back to D* again and still having problems. I feel for you. Maybe you should give up on satellite TV. You will eventually get an HR20 that works properly if you have the patience. If not, I wish you luck whatever you decide to do.

Is it possible that there is an electrical issue or something related to the user's home that could be causing the problems?

Sorry to hear your having problems with your system.
What kind of Sat dish do you have? Did a tech install it? Is this a new system with a couple of older SD tuners?

Sounds like a dish alignment / interference problem to me.

This is a new HDTV system - installed by DirecTV about 1 month ago. There are 2 dishes - HDTV with 5 LNs (?) and a second dish for the local channels. We had an older DirecTV dish up there before - with 2 DVRs and on extra single tuner box. They all worked great before - and only the new HR20 is having a problem now.

The signal strength on 103b is: Tuner 1 - 95; Tuner 2 - 94.

Everyone thinks that the alignment is OK and no one wants to go onto the roof to mess with the dishes.

I think that it is a software glitch -or an HR20 hardware proble. But, who knows at this point.

Sounds more like a bad/incorrect multiswitch. If you have a 2nd dish for locals, you need to have a Zinwell 6x8 Wideband multiswtich installed.

I have the Zinwall WB68 multiswitch now. I don't think that is the problem.

I may just ask for yet another HR20 - maybe the third one will work.

This is a new HDTV system - installed by DirecTV about 1 month ago. There are 2 dishes - HDTV with 5 LNs (?) and a second dish for the local channels. We had an older DirecTV dish up there before - with 2 DVRs and on extra single tuner box. They all worked great before - and only the new HR20 is having a problem now.

The signal strength on 103b is: Tuner 1 - 95; Tuner 2 - 94.

Everyone thinks that the alignment is OK and no one wants to go onto the roof to mess with the dishes.

I think that it is a software glitch -or an HR20 hardware proble. But, who knows at this point.
did they run all new lines?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)