HR22 software update hangs

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jwinker

Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
Minnesota
Hey guys,

I joined the forum while researching this issue and I'm hoping you guys can help me out?

I have an HR22 that refuses to update. It is currently running 059F and trying to download 05D2. It gets to 5% and hangs for about 30 minutes, then reboots. On reboot, it tries again. It will continue this loop until I reset. Once it has been reset, it goes through the “long” reboot process and about 15 minutes later, I have content. After an hour or so, a box comes up announcing the receiver is going to download an update and if I do not hit “no” the cycle begins again.

Now, here’s the next problem…

I’ve read several similar posts and first suggestions seem to be a problem with the line or the dish resulting in low signal strength. I’m in a condo and we do not have access to anything behind the wall.

I’m hoping there’s a way to push an update over Ethernet or USB? Or is there a way to ignore updates and I’ll just keep working with 059F?

Thanks for any advice!

John

jwinker said:
Hey guys,

I joined the forum while researching this issue and I'm hoping you guys can help me out?

I have an HR22 that refuses to update. It is currently running 059F and trying to download 05D2. It gets to 5% and hangs for about 30 minutes, then reboots. On reboot, it tries again. It will continue this loop until I reset. Once it has been reset, it goes through the ?long? reboot process and about 15 minutes later, I have content. After an hour or so, a box comes up announcing the receiver is going to download an update and if I do not hit ?no? the cycle begins again.

Now, here?s the next problem?

I?ve read several similar posts and first suggestions seem to be a problem with the line or the dish resulting in low signal strength. I?m in a condo and we do not have access to anything behind the wall.

I?m hoping there?s a way to push an update over Ethernet or USB? Or is there a way to ignore updates and I?ll just keep working with 059F?

Thanks for any advice!

John

What's your signal strength? And as for getting the update else where, not to my knowledge. Having older software won't hurt anything though ;)

Tuner 1 shows 90% and Tuner 2 shows 83%.

I'd be fine with the old software if I could disable the auto-update.

SWM channels and signal strength are different. I'm assuming the 1st 2 you posted were the 101. What is the 99 and 103?

You are correct, the 1st set was from 101.

99`(c) shows 84% and 81% for Tuners 1 & 2.
103`(ca) runs from 76% and 73%.

103`(s) and 99`(s) will not acquire.

jwinker said:
You are correct, the 1st set was from 101.

99`(c) shows 84% and 81% for Tuners 1 & 2.
103`(ca) runs from 76% and 73%.

103`(s) and 99`(s) will not acquire.

Well the dish is off but not enough I would think it would hang up the download. Is it a "want" or a "need" for newer software?

It's neither - it's automatic. Every few hours, the box displays a message that it is about to download new software. If I hit "no" everything continues as normal. If I hit "yes" or do nothing, it reboots and starts to download. When it tries to download, it will hang after 5% (or occasionally 10%). I would estimate I have actively tried 30 times and it has automatically tried many more times than that. This has been going on for several weeks now.

Additionally, the device will power-on in the middle of the night or during the day and try to download the update. Again, it will fail over and over until I find it and press reset. It then goes through the 15-minute long boot up process, updating Satellite Signal and downloading the guide.

If I am in the middle of a show and miss the opportunity to hit "not now" when it automatically prompts, I will miss no less than 15 minutes of the program. That is the problem I am trying to solve. I would be perfectly happy with either option: either loading 05D2 some other way - or turning off the automatic check for updates and continuing to use 059F.

There isn't a way to disable the update. I'd call and see if 1 you can get it swapped out or have a tech out to swap it out

No go...

DTV Service says it's out of warranty. I can purchase another device and they can have it here by Weds. I can purchase another device at a retail store. Or I can "just live with it as it is."

Does the software reside on the drive or on the flash rom? I'm not opposed to manually flashing the ROM if I can get the update from another box.

Out of warranty? What? It's a service call, call them and tell them the box won't turn on at all! That'll get them to send a tech out to swap it. Out of warranty makes no sense at all

:welcome to Satelliteguys jwinker!

The issue may be more of the dish being out of alignment. 76 for a signal strength is too low. Although that may not be the issue with the download, it should still be addressed. Are you the only one using the dish?

There ya go jwinker,
Call D* back and tell them you think your dish Signal Strength is too low and mention the 75%, you can tell them that it's a bit lower if you want, I think it has to hit like 75 to pass on newer recvrs, so they should send someone out either way ....

So you have low SS as well as a recvr hanging up, they should send one out with a tech, who has to come out to do a re alignment regardless.

Jimbo said:
There ya go jwinker,
Call D* back and tell them you think your dish Signal Strength is too low and mention the 75%, you can tell them that it's a bit lower if you want, I think it has to hit like 75 to pass on newer recvrs, so they should send someone out either way ....

So you have low SS as well as a recvr hanging up, they should send one out with a tech, who has to come out to do a re alignment regardless.

It needs to be in the upper 80's in order to pass activation. I think the signal strength is to weak to download but I could be wrong. I would want a tech to come take a look at it myself. Having to go through what the OP has is unacceptable in my eyes

Edit: some places in the country have different signal strength requirements. Obviously south Florida is going to he different than somebody in New York so depending on where the OP is you may be right Jimbo. However, I think 75 is still too low but I may stand corrected

Last edited:
It needs to be in the upper 80's in order to pass activation. I think the signal strength is to weak to download but I could be wrong. I would want a tech to come take a look at it myself. Having to go through what the OP has is unacceptable in my eyes

Edit: some places in the country have different signal strength requirements. Obviously south Florida is going to he different than somebody in New York so depending on where the OP is you may be right Jimbo. However, I think 75 is still too low but I may stand corrected

Your more than likely correct...

I just threw that number out there as a starting point.

Run a system test and see if you get a diagnostic code 43 or 47 that usually means dish needs aligning.
Your 103ca and cb are too low. And I believe those are the sats that the download comes from. Forgive me if I am incorrect.
Replacing your box might not fix the problem, but its worth a shot. As mentioned, call in and say it won't turn on, be prepared to pay 20 bucks for the shipping.

Also disconnect the sat cable and leave it off for a while. If you have a power inserter anywhere, unplug it. If your cable hooks up to a wall plate unscrew it and check the color of the barrel insert. It should be blue or orange. If not replace it, it could be an older barrel that doesn't support swm frecquncies.

Doing all of this will "eliminate the static electricity in the line" haha so I told my customers when I worked at dtv tech support.
But sometimes it was a temporary fix.

Because it is a condo you probably don't have any roof access. But do you know if you have your own dish? When you call in do they call your account an mdu?

The download comes from the 101 satellite, transponder depends on exactly which DVR you have. What's the exact model number?

jwinker, have you addressed the alignment issue with Directv?

Correct me if I am wrong. But would it not be cheaper to just add the Directv Protection Plan and schedule a service call to have to dish realigned and also possibly replace the reciever. I hear that Directv will replace a reciever if you do not have the protection plan but I heard they will extend your commitment.

No, replacement of a faulty receiver does NOT extend your commitment whether you have the protection plan or not.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts