HR24 failing, looking to replace/upgrade

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JoshMcMadMac

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Waynesboro, PA
The hard drive on my HR24 receiver is dying, so it looks like I am going to have to get it replaced. I do not have the protection plan. I have had DirecTV for three years now, and am out of contract. I have the HR24, and four other H24 receivers in the house. That leads me to a few questions:- Is it likely I will be able to get DirecTV to give me a replacement HR24 without a new contract and charging for the box?
- If I have to go onto a new contract, it should not be too difficult to get a free Genie right?

- If I do get a Genie, am I better off keeping the H24 receivers over replacing them with minis?
- Do the minis have the same $6 monthly fee as the H24?
- I am pretty sure I have a SWM 8 at this point; I remember the installer telling me that I had one "spare" connection when he hooked everything up back in 2010. Will I need a SWM 16 for the Genie in my setup?
- Is it possible to reduce my costs on receiver fees by reusing an access card on different receivers? We only use one or two televisions ever at a time, and it would be nice to be able to save ~$20 a month if I could just plug/unplug an access card between receivers.

I know that most of my questions cannot be answered definitively, and that ultimately I have to sort this out with DirecTV directly. I am just hoping to get input and experiences first so that I am better prepared when I do call. Thanks so much!

you will be required a new contract
get a genie, shouldn't be an issue
a mini has the same fee as an h24

Replacing a defective HR24 does not restart a contract! If you were to replace it with a Genie, which they may do for you, would get you a renewed contract. There are pros and cons to using a receiver/dvr instead of a mini. Someone with each setup can better explain the differences.

Replacing the HR24 as a repair, even without the protection plan does not extend the contract UNLESS someone at D* screws up.

BTW, each mini or receiver/dvr beyond the first one, is $6/month. You can't switch cards between them. A Genie has 5 tuners, a dvr 2, and a receiver has one. The minis have none. If the total you want to use is over 8, then you will need a swm16. It would be at no extra charge.

BTW, each mini or receiver/dvr beyond the first one, is $6/month. You can't switch cards between them. A Genie has 5 tuners, a dvr 2, and a receiver has one. The minis have none. If the total you want to use is over 8, then you will need a swm16. It would be at no extra charge.
Thanks, that is what I remembered. So, right now I have one DVR (x2 tuners) and four receivers, for a total of (6) tuners. If I upgraded to a Genie, that would add three tuners for a total of (9), requiring a SWM 16 upgrade. Does the internet connection also take up one of the SWM outlets?

Replacing faulty equipment does NOT start a new contract, whether you have the PP or not. Sometimes CSRs make mistakes on this, so once the replacement has arrived and been activated, call DirecTv and ask for the access card department to make sure your contract has not been accidentally extended.

Thanks, that is what I remembered. So, right now I have one DVR (x2 tuners) and four receivers, for a total of (6) tuners. If I upgraded to a Genie, that would add three tuners for a total of (9), requiring a SWM 16 upgrade. Does the internet connection also take up one of the SWM outlets?

The Genie has 5 tuners, not 3, but the point remains that you would be over 8. I don't think the DECA takes up one of them.

If you qualify for a genie upgrade, that will restart your 2-year commitment. You can't replace a faulty DVR with a genie. And it's possible you might not qualify for an upgrade.

I figured I should follow up here. I called DirecTV retention and the very nice, helpful lady took care of me. I am on the hook for another contract, but I am happy with the service as it is. She discounted $30 for six months, $20 for twelve months, found $7 in monthly package savings by dropping me down a tier without losing anything I watch, and will have an installer out tomorrow with a new Genie. It is costing a few bucks for the installation, but I think it is a good deal considering I went into it with a dead DVR and thoughts of going to Xfinity.

texasbrit said:
If you qualify for a genie upgrade, that will restart your 2-year commitment
Our contract should be up now or next month so thinking about a Genie upgrade here - probably move the HR24-100, drop the D12-700 (it's an HDTV).

Hopefully a deal can be struck though, we need to upgrade our package to keep ESPN & have to cover the extra DVR cost

As long as you already have a dvr, and aren't increasing the number of receivers/dvrs, the monthly cost is the same. The dvr charge is per account, not per dvr.

Nope, the pp only guarantees free shipping in regards to replacing defective equipment.

so true. My stepdad had a DVR crap out (HR23 IIRC) and they wanted to charge him $20 to ship out a new one. He told them to shove it and after some arguing they settled on I guess $4
Even better he got a HR24 in its place :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.