HR34 and SWM questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

george99

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 27, 2007
Hi Guys, few questions.
If I convert my house to use SWM with 8-way splitter, and I get an HR34 with 5 tuners, can I still have 2 other HR21 DVRs connected, or is that too many since the HR34 has 5 tunes, and the 2 HR21s have 2 tunes each, that adds up to 9 using an 8-way splitter. Or is it per receiver?

Also, how does the RVU work? Is it just for recorded stuff? Or can I watch live TV on a TV that is not connected directly to the HR34?
How does the HR34 connect to other TVs with RVU? Ethernet? Just curious because if the HR34 is on the other end of the house from a TV(with RVU) I am wondering how they connect?

Is there maybe a good wiring diagram that describes this all?

Hi Guys, few questions.
If I convert my house to use SWM with 8-way splitter, and I get an HR34 with 5 tuners, can I still have 2 other HR21 DVRs connected, or is that too many since the HR34 has 5 tunes, and the 2 HR21s have 2 tunes each, that adds up to 9 using an 8-way splitter. Or is it per receiver?
it goes by tuner so you would need the SWM16

Also, how does the RVU work? Is it just for recorded stuff? Or can I watch live TV on a TV that is not connected directly to the HR34?

from what I read the RVU is basically a "dummy" receiver and relies on the HR34 for everything.

It will work,unless you are recording and watching from all receivers.You will have interference with channels.

it goes by tuner so you would need the SWM16

from what I read the RVU is basically a "dummy" receiver and relies on the HR34 for everything.

Is there an SWM Dish with the built in multiswitch that has 16 available? I only found 8.

I think I found my answer: http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-forum/259207-can-i-connect-swm16-lnb-built.html?amp;goto=newpost
Plus I cannot find anything on google for a dish with built in SWM 16.
I already have 2 HR21s and 2 H21s. I would rather swap the new HR34 with the H21. I paid more for the DVR, might as well have its benefits and not lose my recordings. Also, I have gone thru about 5 or 6 H21s. They burn out around once a year and need replacement. I never had an issue with the HR21s.
So I guess I can stay with the Slimline dish with 4 wires and just add an SWM16 multiswitch to the equation.

the swm16 is your answer, there is no 16tuner lnb (built in) and if you have currently 2 hr21s, and 2 h21s, that is 6 tuners, and the hr34 would add 5 more, so thats 11. if you swap a H21 for the HR34 you would lose one tuner, so yes you absolutely need the swm16.

Mikewj50 said:
It will work,unless you are recording and watching from all receivers.You will have interference with channels.

No it won't. It won't activate, when it runs IV it will see its missing a tuner and pop up no signal detected on "X" tuner(s). If he unhooked one and then activated it would but as soon as the unplugged receiver comes back up he'll see 771b on the screen. Not enough tuners. HAS to have a SWM 16

No it won't. It won't activate, when it runs IV it will see its missing a tuner and pop up no signal detected on "X" tuner(s). If he unhooked one and then activated it would but as soon as the unplugged receiver comes back up he'll see 771b on the screen. Not enough tuners. HAS to have a SWM 16

Could you set up one of the dvrs to operate on one tuner only as if it was not a swm setup and just one cable connected to it?

raoul5788 said:
And that works even when connected to a swm lnb?

Yup! You can set any DVR to single tuner regardless of the system it's on. However, not really sure why you would want to lose a tuner when it's SWM except for situations like the one that was being talked about with 1 too many tuners

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts