HTC Diamond

Zynergi

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 20, 2007
NC
Looking for reviews from people that have used either the Treo 700w(x), HTC 6700, 6800, Touch and/or Touch Pro that have used/switched to the new Diamond and what they think..I cant decide of I want the Touch Pro or the Diamond.

I have a 6700 now and love it, but its getting sluggish and considered the size of a brick. I want to stay with a WMD.. so not interested in get a iPhone or Blackberry replies :) I am on Alltel if that matters.

TouchPro all the way... the keyboard is a must for me.

Yeah me too. I just ordered the Touch Pro the other day and I have the 6800 right now and I will be selling it in the near future when I receive my new phone.

Yeah me too. I just ordered the Touch Pro the other day and I have the 6800 right now and I will be selling it in the near future when I receive my new phone.

I'm taking donations for my purchase of my TouchPro by the way... I still love my Mogul though. Best phone I've ever played with besides the TouchPro ;)

I've had the touch pro since early November, love it. I wouldn't trade it for the Diamond. I use the keyboard way too much.

I'm taking donations for my purchase of my TouchPro by the way... I still love my Mogul though. Best phone I've ever played with besides the TouchPro ;)

I got Alltel to give it to me for $179 after $100 rebate.

I went from 6700 to Instinct to Touch Pro. The Touch Pro is Sweet!

The instinct was a BIG mistake for me since I depend on Exchange E-Mail for work, and the way the instinct App works is bad for me.

My wife has a diamond and she loves it, but she doesn't type much and she has small fingers so the on-screen keyboard is fine.

Me: I just got a touch pro a couple weeks ago, I gotta have a keyboard for email.

If you have the Touch Pro don't forget to try out the FM radio and look into getting the Video Out cable. Great for power point presentations or watching movies in a hotel room. You can pick it up for pretty cheap at Expansys.com. I've talked to several Touch Pro owners who didn't even know that feature existed.

Here's a link.

http://www.expansys-usa.com/p.aspx?i=170917

I have the AT&T Fuze which is their GSM version of the Touch Pro. I love the phone and have played around with the different Roms out there for it on the web. I even got into learning how to cook my own.

The FM radio works pretty well and even displays song info from RDS. I have read that the FM radio only works on the GSM hardware versions of the Touch Pro though, not the CDMA that Sprint uses.

This thing can do a lot. I use it a lot to stream internet radio via bluetooth to my car or home stereo. If you use a lot of its advanced features, the battery can drain quick though.

I've ordered one of those video cables to try out.

I am with Alltel so its a Watered down version verses the GSM version. I went with the Diamond mainly for its smaller size. I didnt use the Keyboard much in my 6700 and with a rotate app the QWERTY kb is easy to use with texting. so far so good.. scared to burn a custom rom into it just yet :)

From what I read the FM radio works on the CDMA version with the right ROM.

That would the first thing I do with a new phone....custom ROM all the way.

If you have the 6700, you may want to consider the 6800. Coupled with MS Mobile 6.1 OS you now have stereo BT with faster auto connect and integrated voice through BT dialing by pushing the button on your headset. This means you can listen to sling player through your BT headset and when a phone call comes in it suspends and returns automatically. The BT never falls asleep and needs to be reset as with the 6700.
The other advantage is that with 6.1 you get EVDO Rev A. I just tethered it to my Vista computer as a test and got 2.3 Mbps download on speedtest.net. The connection is now so fast Sling player is fast enough to watch programs full screen on my 24 inch HD monitor. The 6800 has enough ram now to run 4-6 applications at a time with no trouble. It has a task switcher to quickly jump from Opera to solitaire all while listening to a podcast via BT connection. It also supports 8Gb Micro SD cards for plenty of storage. In a sidebyside test with an Iphone on AT&T's 3G the internet data download on Verizon is twice as fast! I once did this with a friend who was bragging about his iphone so we tested on the same large Video file I had on my server. The iphone speed took twice as long.
The downside of the 6800 is they may not be available anymore. Plus, the iphone OS and hardware still looks snapier than the MS v 6.1.

I have the HTC Touch Pro. It is a great idea.

I actually have to change my battery out 3 times a day. Battery life just sucks. Do a google search on the device and you see folks have lots of issues with the battery.

I'm connected to an exchange server, and a couple pop accounts, and txt. I get lots of mail, lots of txt's.

And forget it if you switch to wi-fi, I can actually watch the battery drain.

It's sad. I'm probably going to send it back and get a motorola Q9.

Steve

I actually have to change my battery out 3 times a day. Battery life just sucks. Do a google search on the device and you see folks have lots of issues with the battery.
Steve

You need to consider flashing to a different version of the Radio, if you have a GSM version of the phone. I get 2 days of heavy usage out of mine.

In a sidebyside test with an Iphone on AT&T's 3G the internet data download on Verizon is twice as fast! .

Interesting. In head-to-head tests at work between Verizon, Sprint and AT&T versions of the Touch Pro, our results are usually pretty close. Of course, a good Rev A signal is getting just over 2Mbps, but the HSDPA on the AT&T phone is downloading at ~1.8Mbps. Just a shade under the Sprint and AT&T phones.

We don't bother testing with the iphone. Nobody in our lab would own one.

I'm connected to an exchange server, and a couple pop accounts, and txt. I get lots of mail, lots of txt's.

And forget it if you switch to wi-fi, I can actually watch the battery drain.

It's sad. I'm probably going to send it back and get a motorola Q9.

Steve
Yep, like stated earlier, you need to switch to a new radio or a custom rom. I connect to exchange, gmail, hotmail, my phone is also my pager for work so I get quite a SMS a day and I browse the web, play a game or two and take some quick snapshots of things for work and I get 2 days on 1 charge with on my Touch Pro some talk time thrown in.

My AT&T Fuze (aka Touch Pro) digitizer suddenly went dead yesterday. I tried rebooting and finally did a hard reset. I still could not select anything on the screen at all.

AT&T is sending me a replacement next week. I'm glad I've had Sprite doing automatic backups on it every night. I suggest if you have a Windows Mobile phone and want to save your stuff, do regular backups to your removable memory card.

After searching the internet about any digitizer issues for these phones, I did run into a few posts from others that had Diamonds and Touch Pros having the liquid suddenly leak out of the layer between the screen and the digitizer. Some of those are claiming the provider had denied warranty coverage on them even though it just suddenly happened without abuse of the phone.

I have PPC Pim Backup do a backup every week to my storage card. It wont help the Diamond users as there is no removable storage card. The phone has a 4gb built in. Kinda sucks it is built in as I keep one 8gb in my phone and one behind the battery cover.

I listen to lots of mp3s via bluetooth in the car. :) I could do it via orb wirelessly but I prefer the music to be with me for instant access.

I'm kind of where Zynergi is... deciding between a Touch Pro and a Diamond.

My big concerns with the Touch Pro?

1) Bulk / weight. It feels a fair amount heavier than the Diamond, due to the keyboard.

2) Steadiness of slide mechanism. Does it tend to slide accidentally at inconvenient times?

My big concerns with the Diamond?

1) Fat fingers and a small onscreen "key" make for ugly touch typing.

2) No expansion beyond the included 8GB.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)