hurricane proof

Seeing you can get hit with a catagory 1-5 Hurricane I would say the only way to hurricane proof you installation would be move to Arizona. Realistically just be sure your insurance is paid up so eventually the replacement cost dosen't come out of your pocket.

from first had experience I can tell you the only way to "hurricane proof" your installation is to totally take it down well before the storm hits. When Wilma came through last year I waited too long and the winds were too high for me to pull down my E* dishes at the peak of my roof and they were destroyed. I did manage to pull down just the Dish part of my FTA setup and the storm even ruined the mount and motor. After the storm it was easy to walk around the neighborhood and gather up bits and pieces of other peoples dishes to construct a complete dish so that I could watch TV powered by a generator for close to two weeks.

Best bet is to take Boba's advice and get out of Dodge

Keep the dish as LOW as it will go and still see the satellites you are after, then if it gets really bad four bolts will remove the dish reflector! Other than that adding some cables to keep the dish tied down may do the trick!

PSB said:
Keep the dish as LOW as it will go and still see the satellites you are after, then if it gets really bad four bolts will remove the dish reflector! Other than that adding some cables to keep the dish tied down may do the trick!

After what we had go through here last year I don't think any of that will help the dish survive. One of my E* dishes tore off my fascia and the other ripped out the bolts and still managed to remain connected to the RG-6 cable, swung back and forth breaking numerous tiles on my roof (guess I did a good job crimping the cables). Even the one that I took the reflector off of sustained some damage.

The dish mounted so it is protected both from the north and east. It is also lower than a 2 story building to the west.
Can I make struts and mount them directly to the dish? How would I add cables and where can I attach them so not to interfear with the signal?

Being an experienced installer, take the dish down as the storm aproaches, I replaced so many dishes after ivan I had to wait a week for the local warehouse to restock. four bolts and a sharpie makes for easy work.:up

Get the Fiberglass Rock, to put over the Dish Assy, and mount it on the Ground... You can also secure the "Rock" so that the wind will not effect it... Be sure to get back to us, after the next Hurricane season, to let us know how you made out... LOL

hbilt said:
Any ideas how I can "Hurricane proof" my dish installation???
I live in South Florida and would like to have a stronger installation
Harvey

I live in the New Orleans area and mine survived Katrina to my surprise. I have mine mounted on a pole attached to my house and it is NOT secured to the ground. The pole can move with a good push. I guess the give in the pole may have prevented the wind from ripping it off. Trees and roofs were ripped in my area but I had TV as soon as the power was on and it is still working. I'm not recommending this but it did work for me.