I am so fed up with computerized equipment

DarrellP

I Think, therefore, I am.
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 6, 2003
Salem, OR
I've had my Panny E85H for 7 months now and it has required a few unplugs to get it's brains straight again (just like any stb).

Tonight I come home about 8:50, flip on my monitor and Lost is on as it should be, but it is not recording. I check the recording list and it is scheduled. Then, most of the buttons on the remote won't respond so I change the batteries, no go.

I ended up having to do a factory reset, which totally destroyed my EPG so I have to leave the unit off overnight to download the guide, it gets it OTA and can't be on to get it initially.

My Dish 6000 stb has 2 modules in it, one is for OTA and the other for Sat HD. I just had an exchange done on the Sat HD mod and every now and then, the stupid box will lose audio on OTA analog channels, then it won't receive OTA digital channels and I have to shut it off, unplug it, pull out and reseat both modules, plug it in, power it up and wait forever to acquire a satellite signal (you fellow Dishers know what I mean).

Then there's our great Moto Voom stb which, for me, has been suffering from video stutter about once a week requiring a reset, then it takes forever to download EPG info, then if I don't shut it off, I lose my EPG.

Even my projector will sometimes fail to sync to a signal when I first power it on, so I have to crawl up on my couch and poke the reset button so it will resync. The only thing I haven't had an issue with is my HT receiver, it's a Yammy and has been flawless now for almost 4 years (keeping fingers crossed).

Then I had a Toslink cable fail this week and a composite cable fail tonight. I am ready to throw all this crap out the window. :no

Swishallnet said:
That explains it. Your house is in the middle of an Electronic Bermuda Triangle.
That explains why I get so much Skeeter noise. :D

DarrellP said:
Then, most of the buttons on the remote won't respond so I change the batteries, no go.
My universal remote did the same thing last night. The stereo receiver got out of sync with the other equipment. I knew it wasn't the batteries since I had just changed them yesterday morning. I ended up reprogramming the remote.

DarrellP said:
I am ready to throw all this crap out the window.
Humbug. At least you can diagnose what is wrong without having to call someone else. Look on the bright side, man. Have a beer, and a Merry Christmas.

Always out :)

and btw...outhouses weren't all that great, for those of us that remember them :)

Lob

I understand. A month or 2 back, my TV broke. My printer broke. My flash card for my camera broke. A hard drive in my computer broke (in a raid 5 array luckily). Battery in my cordless phone took a dump. I needed new tires on my car. And some more stuff I can't remember. All within about a week and a half, I felt like my life was falling apart-really. In case it doesn't jump out and say it, that is a ton of cash it takes to get back into action. Luckily, it all worked out.

--Dan

JimP said:
How the heck do cables go bad? doink doink (law and order sound)
I wish I knew. All my gear is on a wall mounted rack and the cables are never touched, nor are they stressed. :confused: Two cables in 1 day is a real pisser. I use the composite cables to feed a switchbox that goes to my Commodore monitor that I use to monitor any of my sources and I punched the button for Dish and couldn't get a signal. The video line was the one that went out.

Although it sounds more likely to be the switch box, about all that can go wrong with a wire that's not pinched is for the connector to have broken the center coax wire. Happened to a installer putting in a friends cable internet when his tester showed the line dead when it was actually the connector on his cable.

I wonder if you don't have some power issues. My father in-law lives in a rural farm and the power fluctuates so much that most of his electronics keep having major problems until I put some power conditioning equipment like ups. I do agree though, it seems the quality of electronic products are crappy these days. Who ever thought you would have to "reboot" your equipment in order for it to work or buggy firmware. I honestly don't know how some of these companies stay in business sellling their "beta" crap.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts