I am so lost. Please help me decide on phone.

Yep the syncing is awesome. I rarely attach my phone to a computer. You can even factory reset your phone and it will pull down all your contacts even with the pictures you assigned.

I use dropbox to pull any files back and forth. Yes I know I am lazy. I also have dropbox upload all my pics over WiFi so I always have my photos in reach on any computer without a cable needed.

I also have titanium backup that I backup all my apps and data to dropbox.

No need to sync anything over a wire. That's old school. You will really enjoy the ease of things.

If you have a collection of MP3 files at home upload them on google music and you can pull and or stream them anywhere. I use an app called subsonic that shares out my music files to my android. I liked it better than google music since I didn't have to upload my entire collection of files to the cloud.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

...Most of the good ones you won't be able to tell are on there until you get a scratch...
They must have improved screen protectors, too, because the last time I used one, I hated it. It was Palm-branded and I used it on my LifeDrive (if you can remember that). Every one I've ever used caused undesirable drag and slightly decreased clarity...and bubbles, I hate bubbles. I guess due to past experience, I've just dismissed it. Do you recommend a particular brand for screen protectors? Here's one from the previously mentioned site recommended for cases.

That one, from the description, looks fine, although I can not say that I have used that brand. I also do not know which brand in particular to recommend. I will try to take a look at the last ones that I got off of amazon, as they do a fine job, were easy to install, and have the same "glossy" finish of the glass as oppossed to the somewhat "matte" look that I have seen on some, and probable what you might be talking about having used in the past.

Most, through amazon, are cheap enough that you can try a few different kinds fairly painlessly on the wallet.

you have a microsd slot that takes up to a 64gb card
Understood, so unless I'm just cramming a lot of media on the phone, I can't see where it would be worth buying the 32GB version, but I also don't want to be kicking myself for getting the 16GB version down the road. You think for the average user, the 16GB should be adequate?

Here's a quote from a review on Amazon. I'm not sure if the issue would even apply to me.
One of the purported advantages of the GS3 over its top competitors from the HTC One line of phones is the fact that the GS3's has a micro SD card slot and accepts up to 64gb cards. Android allows must apps to be saved and launched from the micro SD cards. This feature allows low and mid-range phones to be made with limited internal storage because users can add their own cards.

Sammy, however, wants power users to buy the bigger capacity 32gig phones for an extra $50. To force us to buy the step up model, Samsung disable the ability to move apps from internal storage to the micro SD card. I am not sure of the size of the app partition in the phone, but I hope Sammy didn't put too big of a restriction on internal storage or that could be a problem for some people down the road. I understand why Sammy made the decision to disable the feature, but it seems like a low rent Apple type move to me and, in fairness, the HTC One series doesn't accept SD cards at all (nor does the iPhone nor any of the current Windows 7 phones).
Source

What exactly is he talking about? What kind of limitation is this?

Here's a quote from a review on Amazon. I'm not sure if the issue would even apply to me.

Source

What exactly is he talking about? What kind of limitation is this?

I wouldn't worry about it. If you really blow out your phone with 500 apps then root your phone and install a Rom that fixes that and probably many other things.

The most annoying one is data indicators that some providers fake. Aftermarket fixes that.

I went with the 32G model just on general principles, and I have a 32G SDcard on my GS3. I have a large number of contacts, and keep a lot of Apps on the phone.

I've had issues with previous phones and their gimpy /data (apps space).

I may have been ok with the 16G, but more is always better, and $50 wasn't bad.

It's a personal preference item.

I'm glad to have the one BIG file system, however.

We got our phones last night. Ummm....wow.

The essential "app" that I'd been using for years is ePocrates Essentials. In the past it has been a real pain to get all moved over to a new phone or platform. It only took about 1 minute with Android ICS.

Dropbox, Documents to Go, SPB Wallet, and Olive Tree Bible were other essentials that were so intuitive to set-up.

I won't try to review the phone here, because there are plenty of those out there, but I'll list just a few observations (minor gripes):
  • It's too dang thin! Ha! Seriously, it'll be better when I get a case to add some thicknes and heft. Otherwise my fat fingers have trouble finding a place to hold it without pressing a button.
  • It's also slick. Like a wet bar of soap. Again, a case will improve that.
  • Power button is in an inconvenient place.

So far, I like everything else about it.

I really appreciate everyone's input. My first inclination when researching a future purchase like this is to seek SatelliteGuys' opinions. You certainly didn't lead me wrong. Thanks!

I agree with your minor grips, and also agree that a case pretty much fixes them. Except for the power button placement. You will get used to that, but every phone I have had recently has moved and I find myself pushing the previous location to power on and off. lol

For rey, what color did you get.....lol

I agree with your minor grips, and also agree that a case pretty much fixes them. Except for the power button placement. You will get used to that, but every phone I have had recently has moved and I find myself pushing the previous location to power on and off. lol

For rey, what color did you get.....lol

:facepalm

And yes the phone is very slippery. Case takes care of all your worries. for those who care about color :D:p the GS3 will be available in black hehe......

So, we've been using the phones for over a week now. I love the speed of this phone!

I got this case for myself: http://www.hdaccessory.com/servlet/the-11279/galaxy-s-iii-case/Detail
View attachment 80286
I needed a holster and the ability to put the phone in said holster, face-in. This holster allows me to do that. It comes in 2 pieces: one that is essentially a protector for the back of the phone. This adds enough heft and thickness to make it comfortable to hold. The holster piece itself doubles as a kickstand (vertical or horizontal). It seems rugged, but still clean, slim, simple. I feel like it will hold up, but for $10, I'll probably buy a spare.

I also got these screen protectors: https://www.clarivue.com/samsung-i9300-galaxy-s-iii-screen-protector.html. I'd heard good things about Clarivue and the end-result is awesome. I can't tell the difference in clarity and after 5 days of heavy use (the "new" hasn't worn off the new toy, yet), there's no sign of wear, scratches, or peeling. There's no orange-peel texture. I don't feel that plastic-feel that I've noticed from prior screen protectors. They're also oleophobic, so fingerprints are slighly less than with no protector at all. What I hate about them is the installation. As is probably typical for screen protectors nowadays, the protector comes sandwiched between two protective films. You remove the back film while you apply the virgin protector to your freshly polished, dust-free screen. That was no problem. You then have to peel off the outer protective film (both films have a "handy" piece of tape so you can "easily" peel them free. While the outer film is still in place, you can work out the bubbles without concern for damaging the actual screen protector. The problem is that it was very difficult to remove the outer protective film. The handy piece of tape just kept peeling off. I even tried scotch tape - no dice. Finally, I finagled the outer layer off using a tiny Exacto knife. I had to repeat that process for both phones. However, like I said, the end-result is great. No bubbles, no peeling, no scratches.
samsung-i9300-galaxy-s-iii-screen-protector.jpg

By design, most of the protectors for the GS3 do not cover the entire face of the screen given the screen is slightly curved. I then found this newly released product that already has good reviews, so I've ordered them: http://www.spigen.com/samsung-galaxy-s3-screen-protector-steinheil-curved-crystal.html
curved-crystal1.jpg

As far as apps:
  1. Epocrates is a must for my job, and the android version is far better than my old Windows OS version. Updates are a snap as well.
  2. Dropbox. Dropbox is awesome. It allows me to take care of lots of "work" things as well as my treasurer duties for my church. It's a very handy, free app. I've been using Dropbox for a couple of years, but never had access from my phone. It truly opens up a new realm in productivity for me.
  3. SPB Wallet. I loved this app on my Windows OS phone, and the transition to android was absolutely painless. I didn't even have to uninstall my desktop version and it syncs perfectly with the android phone.
  4. GTasks was an essential for me. It's the closest thing I found to my task app on my Windows OS. GTasks is perfect in its simplicity and melds with Google Calendar nicely.
  5. I use the standard Facebook, Tumblr, and Twitter apps which are, again, far better and more intuitive than the crippled Windows OS versions I was using previously. Color for Facebook is nice and intuitive as well.
  6. BeWeather and Widgets Pro is worth 10 times its $1.99 price tag. It's not only beautiful, but it's highly customizable, allowing the user to incorporate any map from the web into its interface. Although the weatherunderground maps they use by default are perfect.
  7. The games I've installed so far are Solitaire by Brainium, Angry Birds, Words with Friends, Osmos HD, Reckless Getaway, JetCar Stunts, and Shine Runner.
    I now get the addictive nature of Angry Birds.
    Brainium's Solitaire is perfect (And without adware. It was hard to find a solitaire app that didn't have some kind of adware).
    Osmos HD is calming and hypnotic with an incredible soundtrack and imagery.
    Words with Friends? Meh, it doesn't update very quickly. It may have just been that one time. I'll give it a chance.
    JetCar stunts is fun and takes full advantage of the gyro.
    I haven't played Reckless Getaway or Shine Runner much, but they are beautiful to look at and have been fun so far.
  8. The native video player and music player are powerful and do exactly what I need.
  9. I love how easily and simply my contacts and calendar sync'd. Completely painless.
  10. Oh, and the alarm clock. True genius. I love the "briefing" alert. For those that don't know, you can set your alarm such that the alert is an alarm of your choosing followed by an audio briefing of the weather forecast, news headlines, and a summary of your agenda for the day as found on your Google Calendar. Of course setting the alarm is made even easier by using S-Voice: All I have to do is tell the phone, "wake me up at 5 o'clock in the morning", and she sets the alarm without a hiccup. Elegance.

I was a little disappointed that my Verizon-branded GS3 didn't come with some sort of case or even a cleaning cloth. I know the strategy is to incentivise the customer into making another $50 worth of purchases while in the Verizon store, but still I expected something.

The included earbuds are at least as good as my 6-year old Sony MDR-EX71's. Very nice sound.

As for my concerns with the 16GB vs. the 32GB. After all the crap that was natively on the phone along with the crap that I've put on it, I'm only using about 1/4 of the storage. Additionally, with all the crap and pics, videos, and music I have on my 16GB microSD card, I still have 12GB free. I don't see the need to carry around my entire music library, especially when I can unmount the card and connect the phone to my PC and move files at will as if it were a plug-and-play USB drive.

The connectivity of the phone is incredible. I've already tried NFC sharing with my wife's phone, WiFi peer-to-peer. I could even stream (DLNA) to my PS3 movies and pics painlessly. Everything was absolutely intuitive. I know I'm bragging on things that have more to do with the Android OS than perhaps the GS3 specifically, but let me gush a bit. I'm an Android newb and had no idea what I was missing.

Again, I appreciate all the advice I received with regard to this purchase. I usually hate changing phones, but this transition to a new platform was quite painless.

I forgot to mention the best part...

My wife and I just don't change carriers, but we do sit back and watch as carriers buy out ours. We started in the 90's with 360 Communications which was eventually bought out by AllTell, and then about 2 years ago, Verizon. We've renewed contracts throughout the years, but relatively infrequently, and only when a phone actually broke. As a result, we were both well out of contract.

We received a flyer in the mail stating that for some time, Verizon has been putting out a separate data stream for "legacy" AllTel customers. They'd been nudging customers with incentives to upgrade their phones to Verizon phones. Well, now, this flyer indicated that as of January 1 they would be taking down the data stream, effectively making our AllTel phones dumb phones with basic calling and text capabilities only. The flyer indicated that we could receive $100 off "select" smart phones (but it didn't say which phones were eligible for the discount). It turns out it is dependent on the "retiring" phone as to what phones you'll receive the $100 discount. My Palm Treo Pro and my wife's Palm 755p were both eligible. So, great! We were going to get the $199 phones for $99/each with contract. Then at checkout, the rep told me that our accounts were eligible for further discounts. Apparently Verizon credits you for every month you're out of contract. I had racked up an additional $30 discount and my wife had a $50 discount. So we got 2 GS3s for $118. I feel like that was a pretty good deal, especially since a contract means nothing to me. I simply don't like to change phones when everything is working the way I like it. So, it is my hope that the GS3 will last a while.

That's weird... Alltel and Verizon both use cdma. It's not a technical reason, they just want you to upgrade phones and or plans.

Will have to check out the weather thing you posted. I have HD widgets and beautiful widgets along with my local tv station radar app. Seems like lots of stations have the same radar app.

I'm a sucker, I guess.

That's weird... Alltel and Verizon both use cdma. It's not a technical reason, they just want you to upgrade phones and or plans...
Well, their tactics worked. Here's the letter:

EDIT: I used CamScanner on my phone to "scan" the letter. Pretty cool app. I used it the other day to quickly scan an ECG and send it via MMS to a collegue for his review (I cropped out the patient data, of course.) CamScanner made it quick and easy. It'll even send the file right to your DropBox if you like.

Attachments

• Verizon Letter.pdf
    682 KB · Views: 93

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)