I give up...(somewhat of a rant)

wasch_24

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 30, 2004
Nothern Virginia, D.C. Area
MAn, I giVe up. The attitude at Sone of the other online forums I frequent is absolutely disgusting. There is this one forum I like to monitor that is supposedly about HDTV programming, but all I read lately is people getting chastised for complaining about the downward spiral of HD quality.

"No one is forcing you to watch..."
"If you don't like it cancel..."
"Just because a channel is XXX-HD doesn't mean they owe you anything when it comes to HD programming or HD quality..."

BS, when a channel is named XXX-HD or XXXX-HD all that they should show is HD programming or else put up some sort of message that states "There is currently no HD programming available, please tune to our standard definition counterpart" seeing as how we have to receive both regardless if we want them.

It's pitiful.

I agree, where did these people come from? It seems AVSForum is being over run by J6P these days: "Give me quantity or give me DEATH! To Hell with PQ, who cares?"

The funy thing is that about four or five months ago these same guys were screaming "We don't give a rats-a** how many channels anyone else has, give me quality over quantity."

I used to lurk at AVS for a long time, and the AV equipment, I thought most of those people were the Einstein's of HOme Theatres judging from the amounts of technical information they post there.

However, instead of being the first to be miffed at bad HD, they are the last. "No is forcing you to watch" and "Sell your HD then" have to be the worst lame posts out there. Talk about being as to no help with pushing the HD revolution along...whatsoever...

You guy think I'm kidding? I'm telling you that all those people that are not complaing in that forum work for D* are satellite installers for D*, or get a check for promoting D* in the mail every week.

The sad thing is, I'm not hitting on D* specifically because all providers are guilty of screwing SD/HD quality up to some degree, even if you're being vague they take the D* banner and wave it around... ridiculous. I really like SatGuys forum more, I wish there were more posts :( I get bored at work.

I think it's the Football mentality. Crap, I would rather do without than have PQ suffer like it has at D*. I think it's called Testosterone Overload. :D

wasch_24 said:
Just let Voom down rezz and reduce the bitrate and watch those same AVS guys dog Voom to death!!!. Absolute hipocrasy if you ask me. And yes I have come to the conclusion that the programming section of HDTV AVS forum is overun by fanatic ST holders and O&O HD subs.

wasch_24:
I couldn't agree more. These are some of the "forbidden" topics at the AVS HDTV Programming forum:

1) D* PQ sucks
2) ESPN-HD sucks (lacks HD content)
3) Local channels broadcast from satellite is a waste of bandwidth
4) inHD is a cable-exclusive
5) J6P prefers movies that fill the screen over OAR

Some may find my post at Avs AMUSING. Im sure it will get flamed..lol

"Just as the diehard D* users say to those that dont like the new reduced bandwidth.. cancel if you dont like it, no one is forcing you to subscribe. Those that cant recieve OTA couldnt recieve it yesterday or the day before. Im shocked at the sense of entitlement here (chuckle). The attitude that people beyond the grade B contour are somehow "owed" HD locals or distant feeds at the expense of every subscribers HD bandwidth and wallet is disturbing. I say pick your a$$ up and move. People that live in the city choose to for several reasons and know that they will probably get recepetion. People that live out in the country choose to for another set of reasons and ameneties, the beauty of nature etc. Now they want to have their cake and eat it too?"

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?postid=4367418#post4367418

vurbano said:
People that live in the city choose to for several reasons and know that they will probably get recepetion. People that live out in the country choose to for another set of reasons and ameneties, the beauty of nature etc. Now they want to have their cake and eat it too?" [/url]
I'm very fortunate to live where I do. Portland has what they call the "Urban Growth Boundary" zone and it is my backyard fenceline. I am between Portland and Salem in the midst of farm country, a Hazelnut orchard is my backyard. :D I am only 25 miles from the towers over flat land and get excellent reception. I get to enjoy the beauty of the country but have all the advantages of the city at my disposal (yes, I have a flush toilet! :eek: ).

The only drawback to my location is if I ever decide I want cable (GASP!), I am served by a podunk country cable system that is way overpriced and 5 years behind the curve. If I ever mention moving to cable, will someone please come over and shoot me to put me out of my misery? :p

I think it's just the conservative mindset. D* is a business, a _successful_ business, hence D* must be right. If you're complaining, you must be a Ralph Naderite or Michael Moore nutball. Just shut up and go away. My company, right or wrong.

barth2k said:
I think it's just the conservative mindset. D* is a business, a _successful_ business, hence D* must be right. If you're complaining, you must be a Ralph Naderite or Michael Moore nutball. Just shut up and go away. My company, right or wrong.

What Blather
It is those who do not understand business that panic over negative cash flow, realistic expectations, and not having instantaneous profit.
And to stereotype and categorize customers in political terms is Michael
Moor(on)ic.

There are still good people at AVS programming forum that would never put up with this new mentality "if HD looks good on my TV, I do not care about what the bitrate is". Mind you that the proof has been right in front of their faces.

There are you obvious fanatics that not only will compromise HD quality over NFL Ticket or just for the sake that they had invested money in their equipment and need to justify to themselves the investment (these two types seem to be the most outspoken).

There are others who have a bias interest in saying nothing is wrong either (I will let you think why). I hope this crap does not come to bite us all (HDTV owners). Once a provider sees that the HD crowd conforms to the low bitrate, do you really think they will ever go back?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)