I got the letter, read the forum and still don't get the Olympics

Eric_C

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
Not that I really care to watch the Olympics but I would like to watch NBC.

I live about 36 miles from Detroit, I get Digital feeds just fine. I DO NOT get Analog feeds at all.

So...not only do I not get the Olympics except OTA I also am not going to get NBC programming for 2 weeks, right?

Of course, this is after getting told how great the Olympics were going to be on Voom :smug :rolleyes:

I assume every single Voomer in the Detroit area is in this boat...you think they would broadcast the regular programming on the .2 channel....

Oh, and D*/E* users are not having this problem are they?

You get OTA? You have an Analog tuner? Is your signal too weak for Analog? E* turned on 2 HD feeds and 5 SD channels for everyone, regardless of their programming level.

36 miles should not be too far if you have a decent antenna, unless you have lots of hills between you and Detroit then you can experience a lousy Analog signa.

If you can get digital you can get analog because here in the Detroit area some stations are still not broadcasting full power on digital,are you using the Voom box trying to get analog that might be the problem.

The voom box can't tune analog signals. It does not have the chipset to do so. Wilt has said this on the Yahoo forum

Eric_C said:
I live about 36 miles from Detroit, I get Digital feeds just fine. I DO NOT get Analog feeds at all.
VOOM set me up with the Stealth antenna. I live about 38 miles from the broadcast towers. I hooked up a splitter to my antenna coax and plugged one end into the 8VSB module on the VOOM box so I get the digital local off the air channels and the other directly into my TV's antenna input so that I get the analog local off the air channels. I use the TV (not the VOOM box) to tune analog channels.

Eric_C said:
So...not only do I not get the Olympics except OTA I also am not going to get NBC programming for 2 weeks, right?
Hardly. What about watching MSNBC, CNBC, Bravo and USA? They have had several hours of coverage already and many more in the days to come - all of these channels are available to all VOOM customers.

When Voom didn't have ESPN I hooked up the Stealth they gave me to the TV directly, nothing but snow except for 2 channels. One was Channel 50 WKBD and the other, suprisingly, CBC Channel 9 out of Windsor which is even farther.

When I said no NBC programming, I mean NBC's regular programming.

Eric_C said:
When Voom didn't have ESPN I hooked up the Stealth they gave me to the TV directly, nothing but snow except for 2 channels. One was Channel 50 WKBD and the other, suprisingly, CBC Channel 9 out of Windsor which is even farther.

When I said no NBC programming, I mean NBC's regular programming.
Most affiliates that do HD have simply created another subchannel for the regular SD programming.

Eric_C said:
I assume every single Voomer in the Detroit area is in this boat...

I just split the coax from the antenna and ran one line directly into my tv - comes in pretty damned good, for analog. Of course, I'm considerably closer to the towers than you are. But it strikes me as very odd that you'd be able to get 50 & 9, but not 4. Weird...

vurbano said:
Most affiliates that do HD have simply created another subchannel for the regular SD programming.
The dopes in the NBC affiliate in Boston are faking me out with a phantom OTA NBC subchannel that has no sound or picture but manages to show all of the shows and events in the program guide as a tease I suppose. Analog comes in OK for me but my best option is watching it on DirecTV. VOOM isn't showing me NBC regular programing but DirecTV sure does.

Only our local Fox affiliate broadcasts their SD programming on the subchannel...the rest show the weather radar.

Eric_C said:
Only our local Fox affiliate broadcasts their SD programming on the subchannel...the rest show the weather radar.

WB & PBS also show SD on their sub-channels - too bad NBC doesn't. :(

I'm keeping Voom because it works with Tivo

HD Locals on Voom!?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)