I hope this does not kill what possible subchannels I could get in the future.

require cable, sat, to provide a free basic channel pack for low income people and shut down the OTA channels forever

just like lifeline phone etc

Reactions: jegrant
require cable, sat, to provide a free basic channel pack for low income people and shut down the OTA channels forever

just like lifeline phone etc
Uh, because the cable companies have such a long record of providing lifeline services?

Cable initially was a regulated monopoly which had provisions to meet the needs of the community.
Local regulation was tossed out the window in the '80s and cable companies have been allowed to set rates and tiers without regulation.
Many areas have now eliminated lifeline cable.
TWC in my area offers a 'starter' package for $20/mo. It includes broadcast, public access and shopping channels. In the last year, they have finished eliminating the analog channels and clear QAM, thus forcing each set to have a cable box. Currently 1 box is 'free', but a second TV incurs a monthly equipment charge.
If the OTA spectrum goes away, the locals become just another cable channel, and cost to the consumer becomes nothing more than what the market can bear.
In the current congressional climate, there would be no hope of any regulation. Cable companies would have the last bit for an unregulated monopoly and would be free to rape and pillage at will.
The only weapon consumers have right now is to be able to cut the cord and go OTA.

I'd be okay with a Canadian style system, a basic package for $25 and all other channels must be sold individually or in small packages.

Except if nobody signs up for this, you can BET the government will just forcibly TAKE the spectrum anyway. After all, channels above 30 are going to be moved lower anyway.

Except if nobody signs up for this, you can BET the government will just forcibly TAKE the spectrum anyway. After all, channels above 30 are going to be moved lower anyway.
Oh gees......I have at least 6 channels over 30....(WGMB 44, WVLA 33, KLAF-46, KLWB 50, KXKW 32, KALB 5 on 35).....I checked my tv fool and well in this case KATC is good on 28, I figure there is enough space under 30 to carry the rest as long as they stay in the UHF range (above 13)....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts