I just jumped into FTA. Digiwave (HD-9003PVR)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Power off the receiver. Disconnect the coax at the LNB. Power up the receiver. At the end of of the coax you should measure either 13v or 18v depending if you receiver is on a vertical or horizontal transponder. If there is no voltage do as Fat Air suggests and check to see if in fact the LNB is set to ON. You will not damage anything by doing this test.

Power off the receiver. Disconnect the coax at the LNB. Power up the receiver. At the end of of the coax you should measure either 13v or 18v depending if you receiver is on a vertical or horizontal transponder. If there is no voltage do as Fat Air suggests and check to see if in fact the LNB is set to ON. You will not damage anything by doing this test.

Thanks once again. I tested the end of one of the cables that I used to do the initial probe test. A 15ft piece of dollar store stuff. Only .3 volts. I thought WTF. So then I tried looking in the menu for turning it on. All it has is lnb type which was at 10750. I changed it to other values but nothing. The other value for the lnb is the power which has values of 13/18v, 13v and 18v. Tried all of those and nothing. I then tried a newer 12ft piece and got 18+ volts. So I took that and hooked up the lnbf, which I had inside, and tested with the probe. This time it sounded good. Also I did a continuity test on the bad piece and found out it was shorted. I then brought in the 50ft piece of RCA RG6U Quad shield coax that I was using that had also failed the probe test yesterday and checked it. I passed with 18v+ as well. Maybe it shorts when strained? I got it at XSCargo.

What I will do is reattach the lnbf and try to test again and see if I can find some satellites. At least at this point I know how to check with the probe to make sure everything is in working order.

Once again thanks.

Success!

It's working now. I did a scan this morning and picked up a couple of transponders.

12559 V 19999
12559 H 19999

These gave a bunch of scrambled channels. The signal quality meter registered 66% and 70%. I was aiming for 123W. It was my 2nd scan.

I then had to do something, so I wasn't able to go beyond that. But that at least confirms that everything is working.

I just want to thank everyone for their help. I really appreciate it. I will try to play around with it some in the coming days to see what I can snag. I will keep you updated.

Thanks

I want to thank everyone for their assistance. I was able to land on Satmex6 as my first sat with channels. I then worked my way backwards to G19. I landed on there with 70% signal. I did a scan and got 271 tv and 134 radio channels. However I now notice that some channels I got out there are not showing up inside. Some of the transponders show zero signal. Maybe I moved the dish a bit. I will try to reepeak it and see what I get. Also there is a tree branch overhanging in that direction. I'll have to see what I can do.

Once again thanks for all your help.

Thanks everyone for your help.

I solved the missing transponders issue. Bad coax. I replaced all the coax in the system, except the 3ft piece going through the wall. That fixed it. I bought some better quality coax from Sayal. The system has now run without a hiccup. Although when it rains heavily, things can get a bit dicey.

So i've been mainly viewing the news channels such as AJ, JN1 and Rt. Unfortunately I hear now that AJ will be gone soon. Just my luck.

Some things I noticed with this receiver.

1) I can't seem to enable closed captions. Tried a bunch of buttons but it won't do it. I guess it's also possible that it doesn't support that.

2) On another thread someone said that they couldn't get audio on 97W for channel TFC-CA WEST with a cheap SD receiver. I tried it on mine and I also don't get sound. When I press the info button for that channel it shows a small green icon with what looks like Dolby printed in it. Not a big deal but a bit disappointing since you would think a DVB-S2 receiver should be hardware capable. I also did a recording of this channel and tried to play it on my LG BP620 Blueray and it wouldn't play it. A recording of AJ did play.

3) The hdmi audio doesn't work with my main lcd tv but does work with another smaller lcd tv.

I'll probably start checking out other sats soon. I got kind of lazy after I got it set up.

So once again thanks for all your help and sorry for this late update. Also I will try to keep you informed as I go along.

P.S.

JorgeK:

I just noticed your pm about rg6 tonight. I went to Sayal and checked out their stuff and the prices are not too much more than the dollar store stuff that I used to get and the quality is much better. Also noticed that Canada Computers sold out of most of their fta stuff recently. I was gonna get another LNBF as a spare. They had like 3 left at my location and they are all gone now. Thanks for all your help.

Great news and congrats!

1. Closed Captions are available on some channels, but the microHD is the only S2 receiver to decode Closed Captioning.

2. Not all chipsets decode AAC and AC3 audio. Most S2 receivers do, but unfortunately some choose not pay the extra few dollars for the function.

3. Have you tried changing the output resolution on the receiver to another setting? Some TVs are limited in the resolutions that they support.

SatelliteAV:

Thanks. Yes I tried that. In tried changing a bunch of parameters on the receiver but no luck. I think it is the TV since on the other LCD it works.

As for CC are there any on G19? I checked all of the channels and couldn't see any.

I haven't observed any DVB-S2 channels yet. I'll have to look into that and see if this receiver can decode sound for AAC.

mrpeter are you still using this receiver? Do you have any screenshots of the menus on it? I think I have a similar receiver. I made a satellite list for mine. The motor controls don't really work. Were you able to find new firmware?

"mrpeter are you still using this receiver?" Yes

"Do you have any screenshots of the menus on it?" No

However the layout is as follows. Along the top under the menu button are the following menus and their submenus.

1) Program
1.1) Program Edit
1.2) EPG
1.3) Sort
1.4) DB Managemant
1.5) Schedule

2) Picture
2.1) Aspect Ratio
2.2) Resolution
2.3) TV Format
2.4) Video Output
2.5) Banner Time
2.6) Digital Audio

3) Channel Search
3.1) Dish Setup

4) Time
4.1) Time Offset
4.2) Time Zone
4.3) Date
4.4) Time
4.5) Sleep
4.6) Standby Show Time

5) Option
5.1) OSD Language
5.2) Subtitle Language
5.3) Audio Language

6) System
6.1) Parental Guidance
6.2) Restore factory Default
6.3) Information
6.4) Recall List
6.5) Software Update

7) USB
7.1) Multimedia
7.2) Photo Configure
7.3) PVR Configure

"I think I have a similar receiver. I made a satellite list for mine. The motor controls don't really work."

I'm on a fixed dish to Gal19 97W. I was wondering if this would ever work with a motor. Can you expand on what you've tried in regards to motoring with it?

"Were you able to find new firmware?" No.

I tried checking the Digiwave website a few month's ago but never found anything. I figured it's an orphaned product.

Also, under System --> Information I get the following

Model: 7133
SW Version: 1.13
HW Version: 1.0

Release Time: Jun 29 2012 23:30:00

I also have a HomeWorx HW-150PVR atsc converter box/dvr with Hdmi out for OTA. It is essentially the same box. The menu structure is exactly the same. It has the same icons and headings for each menu.

I.E.
1) Program
2) Picture
3) Channel Search
4) Time
5) Option
6) System
7) USB

Only the submenu's for each item are different since it is for OTA. Also the remotes are the same for each but different button labelling. The same position button on each remote works the same function for each respective box. So they are essentially interchangeable.

I haven't checked all of them but that is the impression I get. Also the Sat box has one extra row of 4 buttons at the bottom. So I think this is some kind of generic box that they use for OTA or FTA and they tweak for each different case.

Having used the box now for awhile it has a number of shortcomings. I doesn't do closed captions and can't decode AC3. Also you can set it up to boot up in PAL or NTSC mode. The native mode for it is in PAL. Even though I set it for NTSC every once in a while it reverts to PAL mode and I have to go through the menu and manually select NTSC again. Trying to get to that in Pal mode on an NTSC display is a pain in the butt that makes it not user friendly for the average joe. Also when this happens it also screws up the time. I usually set the time to manual which it allows you to do. Also I noticed that sometimes it provides EPG listings
and sometimes, for the same channels there is no EPG listings. This happens for all channels. I.E those that usually provide them will all not have them sometimes. Not sure if it's the box or the satellite.

I meant to update this thread on my experience but got a bit lazy. The box has been working satisfactorily for the most part. The only problem was during the ice storm where I lost reception of everything for about a week. I could see branches drooping from the ice and the dish was caked in it. Once things warmed up reception of everything came back. Then I noticed afterwards that I lost the EL ETEJAH transponder only. There was snow on the lower 15 to 20% of the dish. I cleaned that off and it came back in.

I just want to thank everyone for their help and once things warm up again I will play around with it some more. I may also be coming into possession of a SHAW dish in the future and will definately be seeking advice once I get it.

P.S. Sorry for posting this a bit late. I had some trouble with trying to post this a couple of days ago. My XP box was down and when trying to post from my win2k box the text formatting wouldn't take. I just got my XP box back up and was able to post this now.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)