I might get an installer job

Status
Please reply by conversation.

OSD771

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
Pokey
So a local DTV/Dish installer is hiring installers and sales people. I know I could do both.
But I want a little more info on how installers get paid/ any other relevant info.
If you are an installer do you like it? Do you make good money?
I know it varies on the company you work for but is there a base line?

OSD771 said:
So a local DTV/Dish installer is hiring installers and sales people. I know I could do both.
But I want a little more info on how installers get paid/ any other relevant info.

W2 employee or 1099 contractor?

It's not good money. Some places want you to provide all of the tools, plus you have to spend money on gas and maintenance.

I made about 40k in 2010 as a W2 but didn't see home much. I absolutely loved what I did and even the customers. What I didn't love was the people in upper deck. You have to weight out the negatives.

40k/yr wasn't worth the headache.

I gained a huge customer base and can now make half of that on the side, in cash, plus a full time job.

I don't think you'll make 40 starting out unless your a 1099 contractor. (minus tools, gas, etc)

I think we started guys around 30/5 (30 for the 1st rcvr and 5 for each additional) dish and direct

1099 I think was 75/15

I don't think installers get paid as well as I did 10 years ago. Back then I was earning 1k a week easy. Of course I was never home. From what most techs tell me they are making about 300 a week now.

Xdcinc said:
I don't think installers get paid as well as I did 10 years ago. Back then I was earning 1k a week easy. Of course I was never home. From what most techs tell me they are making about 300 a week now.

About 800 in my area is average. Installers make about 1,200 a week around here, service s around 800 though plus bonus which is almost 600 every two weeks. Depends where you work and how quick you are

Hey can someone help me please. I need help setting u p my Directv Dish. I recently moved and my new home has a SL3S4NR2-01 directv dish. My old dish was just a simple dish. I read that for this model I have to have a PI device and iwent and got it. But i still get the 771 message on m screen. And i have no signal strength. My line uns from the dish to the PI to the reciever ( D12MP-500 model) and from there to my TV. Please help I am so fustrated. Thanks

This will get you started:

Determine your azimuth and elevation + tilt.........clear a line of sight and position the dish.
The mast must be plumb and firmly mounted.
Place the wired dish on the mast......................... so it will rotate without slopping around or binding...1/2 inch wrench to firm the clamp.
Turn on the receiver, go to set up and select the 101 satellite signal meter.
Position a helper with a cell phone and contact him when you are at the dish. loosen all bolts so you can move the settings withput damaging lock down hardware.
Swing slowly through the compass line (azimuth) back and forth until you are at the center of the signal. Do the same thing with the elevation until you have the highest signal...90s is fine.
THEN select the 103 sat and push very little to the right when standing behind the dish.

Questions?

Good Luck,

Joe

OSD771 said:

Don't walk away... RUN.

Sent from my fingers.

My Brother-n-law just quit a DTV installer job. He hated the long hours and pay structure. Complained a lot about driving an hour or more to a job, only to find out the customer had no line of site. I guess they don't get paid for travel time, only by the job, so that could be 2 hours of your day wasted.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts