I need a BUD pole

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Blue Crystal

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
I am moving my bud system to West Va and can not seem to locate a pole about 8 feet long and 3.5 inches or a hair less in diameter.
Does anyone know the best type place to buy that kind of pole.
The local hardware store does not have anything that will work and the scrap yards wont let me look.
Any idea on what may work?

Thanks

You need to find another scrap yard. They are a very good place to find pipe that one can afford. Example: A smaller pipe this last Summer cost me $23.00 at a local recycler. Same pipe was $60+ new at the hardware store.

Scrap yard, well driller (well casing), behind people houses (if they'll let you dig one out, it's doable!)

You can also use a larger size if that's all you can find, and put a smaller stub end in the top for your dish. It'll then need to be welded (best), or shimmed and bolted through at cross-ways.

If you were anywhere near western NC, you could dig up the one in my yard. It's 10 feet long, planted 4 feet down with concrete, and has 1/4 inch thick walls. It's a beast and will prolly be solid long after I get planted. :D

3.5" OD Schedule 40 pipe is what you need. And a scrap iron dealer is the place to find it. You could also check at some of your local welding shops as they may have a couple of shorter "drops" that they could weld together for you to make a long one. I've done that before and it will work OK.

EDIT: Added that 3.5" is OD not ID. 3" schedule 40 pipe is actually 3.5" OD.

Last edited:
Lone Gunman is right about sch 40 3" pipe. It has 3.5 OD.
Look for scrap dealers, steel surplus dealers, or pipe supply (probably MOST expensive)

I am moving my bud system to West Va and can not seem to locate a pole about 8 feet long and 3.5 inches or a hair less in diameter.
Does anyone know the best type place to buy that kind of pole.
The local hardware store does not have anything that will work and the scrap yards wont let me look.
Any idea on what may work?

Thanks
You need 3.00 inside diameter schedule 40 pipe which is 3.50 outside diameter. See post http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/316894-12-ft-Paraclipse-Classic-Polar-T-Antenna. It only cost $2.95 per foot new from metal yard like sells metal tubing. Ask a welder where to buy it. It is cheaper used.

Scrap yard, well driller (well casing), behind people houses (if they'll let you dig one out, it's doable!)

You can also use a larger size if that's all you can find, and put a smaller stub end in the top for your dish. It'll then need to be welded (best), or shimmed and bolted through at cross-ways.
This works very well. It is the way mine came from the installer way back in 1984. Still standing solid as can be.

Remember that if you choose to mount a stub on the end of a larger piece of pipe that when you plant that pipe you have to make sure that the STUB is plumb and not worry about the rest of the post. This is "assuming" that it would be difficult to have the stub absolutely straight with the rest of the pipe due to distortion from the welding process. The end where the dish mounts MUST be plumb!

I must be lucky, I found a scrapyard which actually sells pipe! Don't recall what I paid for one, but I know it was cheaper than a regular pipe-shop or plumbing supply. I even got the doomsday version, that's about 3/4" thick. An EF-5 may take it out of the ground but I bet you it won't bend.

Im cheap, I used the poles that were used for the clothes lines behind the house. It was a perfect match. Looked like oil field pipe to me

3 inch Schedule 40 is what you want unless you can find some Schedule 80. If you have scrappers cruising the neighborhood like I do, flag one down and offer him $5 or $10 above scrap value if he drops it off for you. I have open orders with a couple for dishes and feeds, and they have been bringing stuff by to see if I am interested. They are usually cruising my area on trash night.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts