I need a new HDTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

chewy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 3, 2004
What can the best HD people out there tell me about buying an HDTV? I'm looking for something between 42" and 53" only because thats where my budget is. ($2500 to $3500) All replys are greatly appreciated

Sony has a nice 42'" and a 50" LCD out in your price range
They are the newest one out for Sony, I don't have the models infront of me, but I have seen them and they look great, Black are black now... Big improvement over the last few years.
I'll try to find the models for you when I get a chance

Here you go, Sony KDF-E42A10 (42") for roughly $ 2000 or the KDF-E50A10 for about $ 2500
or if you had a bit more money you could wait till next month (OCT) when the new XBR's come out. :)

Jimbo

chewy said:
What can the best HD people out there tell me about buying an HDTV? I'm looking for something between 42" and 53" only because thats where my budget is. ($2500 to $3500) All replys are greatly appreciated

50" sammy HD DLP. click this link and click "check out" to apply the rebates. http://ww1.onecall.com/PID_27204.htm
the shipped price is around $2100 dollars to your door from Onecall. Add the stand and I think you will be right around $2500. Also no interest financing.

If you have a Sam's Club or better Costco close by, great deals there, one of the best is the 65" Toshiba for under $1800.00, they also have plenty of DLP and LCD sets under $2000.00 in the size you mentioned.

whatever you like the most. EVERYONE has an opinion about what looks the best. Me, I'd spend the money on a high quality plasma, but that's because all I do is sell tv's & satellite equipment.

WHAT LOOKS THE BEST TO YOU? is the appropriate question, not "What should _I_ buy?"

I bought a Vizio 50" plasma from Costco.

There is a long thread at AVS it is not without some problems.

THE PICTURE IS STUNNING!!

Price 2.7k nothing I have seen is anywhere close in quailty for that price point.

Lets see that is my 269900 cents worth, plus tax.

nater

nater said:
Price 2.7k nothing I have seen is anywhere close in quailty for that price point.

Thats is kind of a loaded review though; "nothing that YOU have seen" because in reality there are bigger and equal quality at the same cost AND lower.

As mentioned before however, make sure there is a display of the item out of the box and running an appropriate source, he should use his own eyes (with a PROPERLY installed & setup unit), stay away from super discounters and "box outlets", measure his personal install space, list the needed feature sets, and decide based on that.

No, you need to get a Plasma 42 or 50" HDTV. Panasonic, Pioneer, Hitachi, Fujitsu and the new LGs are your best bet. Don't get a Sony, they are over rated and over priced, they make great CRTs but that's about it.

I'm with Charper on this one. Check out the projectors before you buy. Have had my panny AE700U now for about 9 months. Once you have 106 inches of HD in your den, Plasmas don't quite turn you on.

I also like front projectors assuming you have a room where you can control the ambient room light. I just put a Optoma H31 ($1000) in my basement with a 114" ($750) Da-Lite screen and a $400 Toshiba DD audio system. Great bang for the buck.

-Robert

robrient@kc.rr.com said:
No, you need to get a Plasma 42 or 50" HDTV. Panasonic, Pioneer, Hitachi, Fujitsu and the new LGs are your best bet. Don't get a Sony, they are over rated and over priced, they make great CRTs but that's about it.

I will gladly PAY for my Sony TV's, yes I may pay a bit more, but they have lasted much longer and less trouble , and stay at optimum performance (No lpicture fadeing out after several years, as some set have)
Of course no one knows for sure about how long these new LCD, DLP,plasma will last, they havent been here long enought to get a report on, (10 years)

I have a Sony I've had since 1990 that looks as good as it did the day I got it, in the bedroom.
My 60 XBR LCD gives me an awesome picture.

Granted everyone has thier own likes and dislikes.

I refuse to slam a TV manufacture that I have not owned or done my homework on.

I only give opinions on equipment I have used or know enough about to GIVE an opinion.

The thread starter did not give enough info as to the size and lighting conditions of the room he is trying to use.
Remember he has a budget, we all have something we like and or would recommend

Jimbo

Sony's suck... "The most repaired electronics on the market", Thats from friends that repair electronics. They are also the major company behind the RIAA busting people for sharing music and chit on-line. Me and all my friends have been boycotting them for a few years now.
My 25 cents worth..... ;)

I had a 27" sony TV that the tube died on (and they say extended warranty's don't pay off), and working in CE repair, Sony is not the quality it used to be, 5-10 years ago, I would say get a Sony, now, I would not, almost all of their product lines have gone to crap (The only thing I can think of is their small (27" and smaller) tube TV's, and their desktop computer lines (their laptops have had battery issues for YEARS) The digital camera's have lens' issues, the camcorders have head problems, the DVD camcorders just break. Their home audio recievers the amps will die on them (and there not a "clean" sound.) The DVD players have laser issues. Now I have a sony reciever, sony camcorder, sony laptop, sony DVD player, and sony CD Changer. All of these products have worked great for me, however, with the exception of the laptop (battery issues) they are also all older. The DVD player is from 1996, and still works great, and the reciever and camcorder are from 1999. (Camcorder is a D8) The reciever itself has actually been repaired twice (amp died) and is starting to sound "weak" so its on the replacement list, as is the laptop.

One thing to note: ALL BRANDS WILL HAVE ISSUES, this is just my experience with Sony. I have had plenty of other issues with other brands, etc, and there will always be that "lemon" model.

The Sony products do seem to break more often, and easier, and as plywodstatebum said, they are the most repaired electronics on the market, and I see a high percentage of sony products defective or broken.

A neighbor of mine purchased one of their LCD TV's, and the picture does not look as good as my, or sharp as my RPTV. (Some colors are washed out, others too bright, and the black/contrast level is terrible)

Thanks for all the input, I finally decided on the pioneer 50" plasma from Costco.. It was 500 more then budget but I think well worth it. Thanks for all the info, you guys on this site ROCK!!!!
Especially Charper ,,,,you the man

Pay more

Jimbos said:
I will gladly PAY for my Sony TV's, yes I may pay a bit more, but they have lasted much longer and less trouble , and stay at optimum performance (No lpicture fadeing out after several years, as some set have)
Of course no one knows for sure about how long these new LCD, DLP,plasma will last, they havent been here long enought to get a report on, (10 years)
Jimbo

Yes you will pay more, but won't get a better product, in the old CRT days Sony was the best and many people cling to the old days. But in reality they just don't make a nice plasma TV. I have never seen a Sony Plasma Ranked very high and in fact Sony isn't and never has focused on Plasma. They are moving towards some form of advance LCOS, I think they are calling them SXDR or something. This SXDR shows promise for the future, but they are around $10,000 now.

Nope Plasma is by far the best thing going for the price.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)