Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
I owe Earl an apology

The other night you might have seen me put up a rant about Earl and the CE program.

I feel that I may owe Earl an apology.

What set me off is one member (who is a member of the "C.E. Echelon" over there) PMed me about DirecTV's new VOD program and told me that Earl was in charge of who got this feature and who did not. This person went on the say that Earl was working to make sure SatelliteGuys staff and loyalists were not on the lists to get these new goodies.

This set off my fuse and I went off on Earl. As you can tell I was VERY upset about hearing this. I was also upset because I thought DirecTV may have given him our private data.

I exploded. (I was mad)

We work very hard here to keep everyone informed on whats new with all the satellite services, and to hear that Earl could keep us out of these things that others were enjoying... well it pissed me off.

Personally I want to be able to support folks with their DirecTV and Dish Network issues, this is why I personally subscribe to both services. (Hell I don't even watch TV except for WWE RAW, Mythbusters and Dirty Jobs) I take great pride in trying to help out members with their issues.

Today Earl posted a message saying that he had nothing to do with who got VOD and who did not get VOD. With him posting that I felt like an idiot for blowing up on him like that.

And for that I am sorry to Earl and everyone else I may have upset with my words.

Sometimes I think they do this to watch me melt down. (Its not actually a melting, just a speed up of the loss of my hair) :)

The staff here at SatelliteGuys is upset about the CE program and how it appears one person is running it. I personally would love to see DBSTalk be the place to file technical reports about CE issues, while satellite guys is the place for fun discussion on the items.

We are working hard to crack open the DirecTV CE program. Some don't want to talk to us others are interested but have no idea what the CE program is. We will be working more with DirecTV and will be having meetings with them over the upcoming months to try getting the door open more.

We understand not all folks like SatelliteGuys, we also understand that not all like DBSTalk, no matter where you go we would like to provide you with the most accurate information out there possible so you can get more enjoyment out of your satellite systems.

Again my appologies to Earl and anyone else I may have offended the other night.

Thanks for reading and being SatelliteGuys. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this whole VOD project has really demonstrated the desire of many to see some of the new technology. It's been talked about for years and now it's at our door step. For both Dish and Direct customers, this is really a great time. We all should just relax and enjoy the ride.

I was expecting something like this. I didnt understand why Scott was blaming Earl for being selected by Directv. Seems that the fault lies with D* not Earl. I didnt know about the VOD CE program thing though. That explains a lot.

Last edited:
Scott - I'm glad to see your statement tonight. I was frankly shocked and a little disappointed with the statements from the other night.

Your passion for this site is clearly evident :)

Remember - when something steams you like what happened Sunday, sleep on it for a night before reacting :)

Everyone is benefiting from the efforts of Earl and the development of the CE program, including the end customer that has no knowledge of the program. It's nobody's place to question the methods D* decided to use in establishing the process, but I applaud your wish to grow a relationship with D* in this process.

In fact, I think everyone would benefit from either site growing a relationship with D*, versus just Earl. Obvisouly if something happened to Earl, or he lost interest, the program could evaporate. The more involved and the more outlets of information, the greater the program.

I was expecting something like this. I didnt understand why Scott was blaming Earl for being selected by Directv. Seems that the fault lies with D* not Earl. I didnt know about the VOD CE program thing though. That explains a lot.

I agree V. They really didnt handle this very well. I've brushed with Earl but for the most part, he is just a cog in the Big Machine. Directv should have put some support escalation measures in place and open communicated what was required for VOD to work well ahead of time. Instead, they kept everyone in the dark and when the day came, the wheels fell off leaving Earl taking the brunt of the storm. Granted he's the man and the one that volunteered to do this, but some folks got pretty nasty over there. I actually stayed out of the fray and thought most was over the top and uncalled for.

In fact, I think everyone would benefit from either site growing a relationship with D*, versus just Earl. Obvisouly if something happened to Earl, or he lost interest, the program could evaporate. The more involved and the more outlets of information, the greater the program.

I run large global projects and this is exactly what is wrong with the process. If that bus comes and hits him, goodbye CE. It should not be like that. You build process with contingencies and this VOD fiasco has demonstrated some serious holes in the CE program.

Sometimes I think running a forum like this is a Dirty Job. :)

If you guys only knew some of the stuff I need to do to dig and get info for you. :D

Are they gonna let you post it over there, Scott?

Me, I could give two farts in poopstorm about VOD, the fact that D* screwed the pooch on VOD is just a continuing indicator that D*, as a company, is broken. :(

Are they gonna let you post it over there, Scott?

Me, I could give two farts in poopstorm about VOD, the fact that D* screwed the pooch on VOD is just a continuing indicator that D*, as a company, is broken. :(

This opinion is the type that has caused so many issues with this particular CE. The CE/LOE process is about finding issues and getting them resolved. Users who download the beta releases do it on their own will knowing they can't call in for support and that there is a potential for their box completely breaking down. It wouldn't be considered "screwing the pooch" unless this was a national release that went south. Part of CE is finding the problems so that they can be resolved before the general public has issues.

I run large global projects and this is exactly what is wrong with the process. If that bus comes and hits him, goodbye CE. It should not be like that. You build process with contingencies and this VOD fiasco has demonstrated some serious holes in the CE program.

I think this is changing over there as others Brott, Tom Robertson, Stuart Sweet are becoming key contacts with DIRECTV also. I think they have back up for Earl should something happen that he can't run the process, after all at some point he will have to take a vacation.

Scott,

I was one of the last to post and I was responding to yours when you closed the thread. I take back everything I was going to write. I am a DBS Talk guy and just lurk a little here. Obviously I need to spend more time here since the forum obviously has some honor. I have some knowledge and will try to post help here along with receiving it.

Have a great day.

Scott,

I was one of the last to post and I was responding to yours when you closed the thread. I take back everything I was going to write. I am a DBS Talk guy and just lurk a little here. Obviously I need to spend more time here since the forum obviously has some honor. I have some knowledge and will try to post help here along with receiving it.

Have a great day.

Where's the delete post button. :p Glad to have you here!

This opinion is the type that has caused so many issues with this particular CE. The CE/LOE process is about finding issues and getting them resolved. Users who download the beta releases do it on their own will knowing they can't call in for support and that there is a potential for their box completely breaking down. It wouldn't be considered "screwing the pooch" unless this was a national release that went south. Part of CE is finding the problems so that they can be resolved before the general public has issues.

I realize that, Mike. I've been doing the CE's since ELVIS. The comment I made alluded to the fact that if you know you're already having X number of folks that are going to do a CE, you need to have the infastructure ready when you release the code to us.

Furthermore, the fact that D* insists on ignoring those of us wanting the HR20 fixed as a basic DVR before adding froo-froo like VOD speaks volumes to ME. If it doesn't to you, we'll just have to agree to disagree. :)
They cannot make me believe that all this extra stuff is not slowing the HR20 down. I see it with my own eyes.:)

Good for you Scott.

I would like to second what chopperjc said. I am also a pretty heavy poster over at DBSTalk, and have previously only lurked here. The fact that you have shown yourself to be a stand up guy encourages me to spend a little more time here.

For whatever reason, this VOD pre-release has ruffled a lot of feathers, and brought out the worst in a lot of folks over there (and the best in some as well). Now that this weekends CE has been announced, with the statement that it WILL NOT have the backdoor code to enable VOD included, I am afraid we will see more nastiness. I hope not, but we shall see....

Anyway, I am glad we are all playing nice again. :hatsoff:

Good for you Scott.

I would like to second what chopperjc said. I am also a pretty heavy poster over at DBSTalk, and have previously only lurked here. The fact that you have shown yourself to be a stand up guy encourages me to spend a little more time here.

For whatever reason, this VOD pre-release has ruffled a lot of feathers, and brought out the worst in a lot of folks over there (and the best in some as well). Now that this weekends CE has been announced, with the statement that it WILL NOT have the backdoor code to enable VOD included, I am afraid we will see more nastiness. I hope not, but we shall see....

Anyway, I am glad we are all playing nice again. :hatsoff:

I echo the comments made by cygnus and chopperjc.

Hopefully, most realize why they participate in the CE program....and it is not to get the "latest and greatest" first. Although that is a benefit, it is not the primary reason for participating. I understand the frustration (DoD is cool), but do not comprehend the sense of entitlement that some (not all) seem to possess.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)