I owe Earl an appology

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I think this forum and DBSTalk compliment each other. This one is a little more free-wheeling and open, the other is slightly more authoritative and formal.

That means that "rumors" often show up here first, before becoming confirmed "news" at DBSTalk.

Each format has its advantages. I'm glad we have both, and many thanks for this one!

Earl just posted this a few minutes ago, and it kind of adresses my concerns that I had (and why I went on a rage the other night)
To address some of the posts in this thread:

1) PMing a code to specific individuals is not an option... Because then "I" would be selecting who can participate and who can not, and I am not "going there"... Also, no matter how selective I could be, there is no doubt that the code would get out... One person tells one more person, then that... and so on.

2) Posting the code in the DBSTalk Club forum.... no that isn't an option either, and then we would be giving information to only those that want to "pay" for it... which we don't do... the extra Club forums are just extra hangout places... no extra information will be provided there.

3) Turning the CE process completely private: No, that isn't going to happen either. The CE process has the major benefits of being public in the fashion that it is... We are not going to turn it into a private/invite only forum.

4) Providing another window for 0x190... that isn't going to happen either, simpy because they are already on to the next version that addresses some of the issues in the 0x190

5) Lastly... the big one....

As noted a few times over.... The exclusion of the keyword in this next release has absolutely nothing to do with wanting to exclude those "long term CErs"... and being mean and cold and heartless, and a lot of other "feelings" that were expressed.

The decision was 100%, is because of the issue with people who never participated in a CE, don't really want to "be" a CEer, and just want access to the VOD at this point. All the aspects of it... bugs that are in the CE, risks that are in the CE, the calling of CSRs while on an unsupported version, and the fact that many of DirecTV's competitors would like to have early access to the feature (yes that is a concern).

In all roles into it... so for the lack of a better term... sorry there was "friendly fire" in this decision.... It isn't going to change for this CE...

I want to make it very very very clear... There will be no VOD activation keyword in this next CE.... Please don't PM me... I will not be provided a keyword for this CE. This is going to be true for the longest term of posters, and the newest, the Mod's, the admins, anyone....

I am sorry that you feel hurt, betrayed, ect.... but please... this has nothing to do with "your" history with CE, how well you have participated, and you as a person... ZERO, nada, zippo.....

I tried calling Earl yesterday but he did not return my call.

I should let him know that his comments about this...
and the fact that many of DirecTV's competitors would like to have early access to the feature (yes that is a concern).
is moot as they already have it. In fact am logged in now via Slingbox to a HR20 which is housed in the engineering department of one of their competitors. :)

In fact it would be safe to say that a good number of CE'ers work for the compition.

Scott, your apology is a demonstration of grace. We all tend to get riled up for different reasons and while your initial reaction may have been considered before posting, I can appreciate your passion for the community.

Earl has been a major reason for why I read DBSTalk. He is equally passionate about his duties there. You are a major reason that I come to SatelliteGuys.US. The info you give us is very much appreciated. These 2 sites are where I get almost all of the early information on what is coming for D*. There is a third site that I consider a major player, but their politics there (and fanboy raves) tends to make it a place I visit maybe twice a month.

To cut it short, I just wanted to say that you did the classy thing with your apology. We all screw up, but what we do after is more important than what initially caused the explosion. Thanks for stepping up.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Just switched to DirecTV HD... WOW!

returning sub with ?'s

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)