I say no more new HD channels for now!

barryb

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2004
Let me say I am very much a HD comsumer. I went with Voom because of the amount of HD content they had compared to other providers. And I would personally like only HD channels added. My thinking is as follows, from a marketing standpoint to get more subscribers the best statergy now is to continue to add every SD channel availabile until consumers have no more reasons, not to sellect Voom as your primary provider. If your primary interest is HD then Voom is already the best choice for the most HD content. It is the consumer that HD is not their primary focus that they need. Voom needs to be the best choice for most every pay tv consumer. Offering a complete SD line up with the most HD content is the way to go. They should be priced at a lower price point than Dish, which is lower than Direct Tv, for the same comparable package. IMO
Barry

I am not going to say that you are wrong, because there is no right or wrong here. But I am not sure that becoming a satellite TV "commodity" like the other services, and competing on price, is the right path for Voom.

Voom's promise, in my view, is to be to DirecTV and Dish exactly what Lexus and Infinity are to Ford and Chevy -- the high-end premium alternative.

If you started a new brand of corn flakes, and if you offered everything the others offered, sure you would be just one of the pack and would price yourself at or below the competition. But Lexus doesn't compete with Ford on price. They compete on quality, and yet both products are viable in the marketplace.

I think Voom's original idea was to be a premium service with exclusive HD channels for the upper crust -- just as Lexus is for the upper crust. Voom's exclusive content ideas originally spoke to that. Lexus cars are expensive, so Lexus does not have to sell as many cars as Ford in order to provide an excellent ROI to investors. Similarly, Voom would not have to have as many customers as DirecTV or Dish.

Somewhere along the line, Voom decided that 28,000 subscribers didn't cut it, and they changed course to include every commercial-ridden "me too" SD channel under the sun and compete on price. So be it, if it works. They will lose me, and they will lose people like me, who are seeking something altogether different: higher quality, commercial-free, best technology and best customer service, and are willing and able to pay for it.

The marketing strategy I recommend would be for Voom to offer every HD channel (pay through the nose for HDNet and INHD as necessary), add to their HD exclusives, come out with the utmost leading edge technology and PQ, a superb DVR, and the greatest customer "concierge" service, then charge a very premium price -- $150 plus.

I know so many people who have long since given up on TV for being garbage (just as I did). It would take time, but if Voom reached the right segment they could prove they are really different and much higher quality, and actually have something to offer to those who gave up on TV.

For those who are happy with the offerings of DirecTV and Dish, except they want them to be HD, I would say stick with those services and wait until they are eventually in HD, and you will get exactly what you want for a budget-conscious price. Don't ask Lexus to be like Ford.

BarryB, Put down the pipe and step away from the lighter please, hehe. :D

I'll be honest & ask what channels in SD are they really missing now other than WGN and perhaps some more (gahh) sports channels? Ive had the full works with DTV for several yrs, around 8yrs now & thier DVR unit for a bit more than a yr now, and from what I can tell since actually still have it and VaVoom as well that there are NO channels on DTV that I dont get on VaVoom, at least that I watch. Voom actually needs more HD channels IMHO. If they could manage to get locals in HD via sat THAT would probably help boost subs #'s a fair amount as its the OTA issues that tend to be the annoyance/thorn in the side, at least for me anyway. Oh and if they could get their DRV unit out the door I bet that would also boost subscribers as well but never EVER sugest Voom stop aquiring HD programing as thats what really seperates them from the other SAT services right now. ;)

I disagree. People sign up for VOOM for more HD. VOOM needs to get ESPN2-HD (NOW) , Outdoor 2 HD (when launched) and HDNet (make peace with Cuban).
IMO, the only SD channels that VOOM should add are the RSN's (both SD and HD when available).

1080iBeVuMin,
I would also subscribe to a all high quality HD service, but it seems there are not enough of us to support a service at this time. Why can't they have both a complete SD lineup that will compete with cable, D* and E*(with better PQ) as well as a HD package. Maybe with tier pricing Voom could have 2 or 3 tiers of pricing for their service. I would subscribe to a HD only package if available, but they need to offer a complete SD package to attract enough subs to survive. These subs could add the HD package when and if they wanted.
Barry

You know what Walter, I have a compromise idea. How bout we encourage Voom to seperate out the sports channels as an extra pkg? Then those that want it can pay for it, Voom can adjust the price based on the cost of the channels being demanded and those of use who never do watch em can pay for the things we do want instead. I know you love your sports and so do others but why not make it so that, other than a few traditionals like ESPNHD, its a special Sports pkg. I really don't need, want or care to pay for em if it could be avoided and this would give the best of both worlds I think.

Anyway just an idea ;)

I say don't add any channels until the PQ can be restored to what it was.

1080iBeVuMin said:
Voom's promise, in my view, is to be to DirecTV and Dish exactly what Lexus and Infinity are to Ford and Chevy -- the high-end premium alternative.

Not too split hairs but the accurate comparison would be Toyota to Lexus, Nissan to Infinity, Ford to Lincoln, Chevy to Cadillac :)

I say don't add any new channels untill Voom can restore it's PQ. My cable HD is head and shoulders better then what Voom is giving us sub. I would not have said that about Vooms PQ befor the new encoding went on line. Just about every channel has artifacting with this new encoder. My PQ was way better befor the encoder change.

007BlackMan said:
I say don't add any new channels untill Voom can restore it's PQ. My cable HD is head and shoulders better then what Voom is giving us sub. I would not have said that about Vooms PQ befor the new encoding went on line. Just about every channel has artifacting with this new encoder. My PQ was way better befor the encoder change.

Bandwidth for new channels are already allocated. R1 is running full capacity even though all the space is not filled with viewable channels. I believe that there is room for another 15-20 sd channels, all of which can be added without anyone noticing a change in PQ.

barryb said:
1080iBeVuMin,
I would also subscribe to a all high quality HD service, but it seems there are not enough of us to support a service at this time. Why can't they have both a complete SD lineup that will compete with cable, D* and E*(with better PQ) as well as a HD package. Maybe with tier pricing Voom could have 2 or 3 tiers of pricing for their service. I would subscribe to a HD only package if available, but they need to offer a complete SD package to attract enough subs to survive. These subs could add the HD package when and if they wanted.
Barry
Your idea may be exactly what Voom is attempting! Everything to everybody! I sure hope it works, but I don't know very many successful products like that, do you?

zombie said:
Not too split hairs but the accurate comparison would be Toyota to Lexus, Nissan to Infinity, Ford to Lincoln, Chevy to Cadillac :)
Not to split hairs?? Hmmmm.... but I get your point!

And I agree with those who would prefer a separate package for sports.

yanks2402 said:
Bandwidth for new channels are already allocated. R1 is running full capacity even though all the space is not filled with viewable channels. I believe that there is room for another 15-20 sd channels, all of which can be added without anyone noticing a change in PQ.
Ok so they have the capacity for 15-20 more SD channels with out any viewable changes to the eye. I still would like to see the same PQ that Voom had be for the new encoders. You can't tell me that the PQ is as good as it once was.

1080iBeVuMin said:
And I agree with those who would prefer a separate package for sports.

I also agree we need a separate sports pack like Dish for like $5 or $10 for HD ones, but if I'm going to pay i want access to all regions.

007BlackMan said:
Ok so they have the capacity for 15-20 more SD channels with out any viewable changes to the eye. I still would like to see the same PQ that Voom had be for the new encoders. You can't tell me that the PQ is as good as it once was.

Agreed, it certainly isn't...an idea would be to take maybe 2 or 3 SD channels' bandwidth and reallocate that towards all of the other existing channels. I bet that would make a considerable increase across the board.

yanks2402 said:
Agreed, it certainly isn't...an idea would be to take maybe 2 or 3 SD channels' bandwidth and reallocate that towards all of the other existing channels. I bet that would make a considerable increase across the board.
I would agree if they removed some SD channels like SDTNT,SDESPN and reallocate the bandwidth across the board it would increase over all PQ. From what i have read the new encoders are really meant to be used with MPEG4.

yanks2402 said:
Like we want any more change in PQ, it's already in the crapper. I vote they take whatever allocation they have left and devote the bandwidth to existing channels and leave it at that until (if) they get a new bird with more bandwidth.

here...here... I vote we send DarrellP our our PQ official delegate to VOOM for high level negociations.

gutter said:
here...here... I vote we send DarrellP our our PQ official delegate to VOOM for high level negociations.
It wouldn't do much good as they probably don't monitor on anything bigger than probably a 42" Plasma. I think they should send an engineer to my house and have a conference call while watching the channels live, then they can see what's actually going on. :D :yes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts