If I buy my own Receiver...

scootertime

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
can I have them activate it and save some $10/month? My local Comcast uses a Scientific 8300HD. If I pick one up on ebay, can I get it activated for maybe a $3.00/month fee? Or does Comcast not do that? Thanks

can I have them activate it and save some $10/month? My local Comcast uses a Scientific 8300HD. If I pick one up on ebay, can I get it activated for maybe a $3.00/month fee? Or does Comcast not do that? Thanks

Probably not. The cable companies don't generally let you use your own box. Have you tried calling them and asking?

Yes. I have gotten 3 different answers. Mainly saying yes, no, and no the cable company provides the box. What doesn't make sense is that you can buy a tivo series 3 and get a cable card for $3/month, why can't you buy your own 8300hd and have it activated? A lot of things don't make sense, but I really don't understand why this wouldn't be possible.

No. SA does not sell their equipment to the end user here in the USA. Some providers in Canada do sell their equipment to the user, but that is Canada, not the USA.

If you buy a box off ebay, it is either stolen, a failure to return unit or a Canadian unit. They will not activate it. That is their policy. If you buy one of the few (very few) commercial units, they will activate it (but you may have to jump thru hoops). I believe Sony or pioneer makes a DVR unit that sells for around $500 and is on Amazon.

The best known is the Tivo Series3 which is a dual tuner HD unit. It requires 2 cablecards from the cable company. The general rental fee is $3 per card, so $6 total per month plus the $700 upfront cost. Or you can rent a HD/DVR for $13 currently from the cable co. and not have to worry if it ever craps outs out or breaks. Just swap it out with another unit. Plus these thing are changing so rapidly, what is cutting edge today, is old junk in 6-12 months. Why waste your $.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)