I'm a Primestar Dish Junkie

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ziggy1222

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 18, 2008
I am a Primestar Dish junkie. I have multiple 75e's, 84e's, 1M's and 1.2M's models. I have done some "southern engineering" and wanted to post pictures if anyone is interested. Pictures would be of:

1. 1.2M mounted on a polar mount with two actuators

2. Use of pipe fittings to use a 2 3/8" OD pipe to get to 3" for the 1 & 1.2M
Channel Master mount

3. Use of a ground rod clamp to mount a LNBF on the 75e and 84e arms

My question is what section to post these pics if there is some interest since these would be considered KU and this is a C Band forum.

ziggy, I'm sure there are BUNCH of folks here that would enjoy your pics, myself included. :)

I would post them in the main Free To Air (FTA) Discussion Forum.

Primestar "Southern Engineering" Pics

Here are some pics of 2" galvanized pipe fittings to convert from 2 3/8" OD pipe to a 3" OD to use on the Primestar 1M and 1.2M mounts. Note that the coupler is an old style type NOT what they call a merchant's coupling. The nipple between the coupling and cap is 3" getting the total length to match the 6" throat on the large Primestar mount.

Coupler1.JPG

Coupler2.JPG

Coupler3.JPG

Coupler4.JPG

Here are some pics of a ground rod clamp used to mount a LNBF on the Primestar 75e and 84e arms. These clamps have holes spaced 1 5/8" apart to match the mounting holes in the Primestar arms and have minor teeth to keep the LNBF from slipping. I have seen them in both brass and aluminum. You will also have to get some longer metric bolts to account for them going alongside the LNBF as opposed to just holding down the stock Primestar feedhorn. I used the lower half of the clamp and had to drill out the threads for the longer metric bolts.

GrdRod1.JPG

GrdRod2.JPG

Last edited:
new approach

I don't tend to think much of pipe, but particularly not of threaded pipe!

edit: re-reading the above, it sounds as if I don't like or approve of pipe.
What I meant when I typed that, was that pipe just isn't something I naturally think of. ;)

Looks like a great solution for anyone with threading ability - :up
Loved it; keep up the good work. :cool:

Last edited:
Yes...the 2" old style coupler and cap are approximately 3" OD on their "rims" which is the ID of the larger Primestar 1M & 1.2M mount. And you would have to have the end of your pipe threaded for this to work. They did make this larger mount with a 2 3/8" mount which is the OD of 2" galvanized pipe but they are hard to find.

Yes...the 2" old style coupler and cap are approximately 3" OD on their "rims" which is the ID of the larger Primestar 1M & 1.2M mount. And you would have to have the end of your pipe threaded for this to work. They did make this larger mount with a 2 3/8" mount which is the OD of 2" galvanized pipe but they are hard to find.

We don't have any of the 1.0m or 1.2 m P*s around here, the only size I have ever seen is the elliptical 84E 90 cm x 63cm, and they all have 2-3/8" mounts.

Being in the near-center of the US (and the signal footprint), I guess that was all the dish surface that was required.

We don't have any of the 1.0m or 1.2 m P*s around here, the only size I have ever seen is the elliptical 84E 90 cm x 63cm, and they all have 2-3/8" mounts.

Being in the near-center of the US (and the signal footprint), I guess that was all the dish surface that was required.

I wish I could find a 1.2

Yeah you are right the near round Channelmaster/Primestar .9M. 1.0M and 1.2M use the 3" mount. I have a .75M near round Primestar that uses a 2 3/8" mount.

I believe the Channel Masters can use either the 2 3/8" or 3" AZ-EL mount, as I have seen both on 1 meter Channel Master dishes. My 1 meter that recently got moved to AMC-21 has always had a 2 3/8" mount, but I have another identical dish that came with the 3" mount. I spent some time a couple of nights ago thinking hard about these mounts... The one I moved to AMC-21 nearly broke when I tried to unfreeze the elevation bolt.

My 1m dish (looks like a Primestar but is a prodelin) uses a 3" mast but the NPRM I got is a 2 1/2"...had to wedge a 84e mount on that to bolt the 1m to it :)

So you got the 84e mount which is supposed to handle just 2 3/8" to handle a 2 1/2" pole? Did you have to crush the 2 1/2" pole any?

nope. The pole is solid metal

I took the 84e bracket apart so I had just the mast part. Took off the 3 screws that tighten the bracket to the mast. Wedged a wrench in there and then used a screwdriver on there to wedge it open farther and get it on the NPRM. Used WD40 to slide it down (more like wiggle it down) the mast. Put the bolts on the mast back in and tightened them down. The mast wont give but the bolts might bust :D Then put the rest of the frame back on. I'll take some pics later

The only issue is the mast wont move more than maybe 5-6 degrees off true south so I'd have to move the whole NPRM which is fine :)

Here are some pics

1st one is 84e bracket apart
2,3,4 is the 84e bracket on the NPRM with the 1m atatched...the holes on 3rd pic to the right is where the 3" bracket was. I had to drill new holes
last ones are of the 3" bracket

One thing I noticed is the 3" bracket has an arrow for the elevation....the 84e uses the edge above that. That makes sence as to why my elevation was off

Attachments

• 100_0453.jpg
    100_0453.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 189
  • 100_0452.jpg
    100_0452.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 162
  • 100_0451.jpg
    100_0451.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 179
  • 100_0450.jpg
    100_0450.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 200
  • 100_0449.jpg
    100_0449.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 192
  • 100_0448.jpg
    100_0448.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 174
  • 100_0454.jpg
    100_0454.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 171
Ice, I believe it will work, haha. Remember, like the song said, grease is the word!
White lithium grease does wonder for those things, I always grease the inside of the mounts before I sticks 'em on the pole, makes waving the dishes around so much easier.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)