Import Distant Networks?

CW already had a cable only channel. They then rolled it out in short markets OTA. My local CW is just a national feed. I could see something like this for the Big 4 in smaller markets or short markets.

That would be a hybrid way of doing it and you make a good point.

CW already had a cable only channel. They then rolled it out in short markets OTA. My local CW is just a national feed. I could see something like this for the Big 4 in smaller markets or short markets.
Yes both CW-24 and WB-24 are available for short market cables systems. They are also available for digi nets. But this will only be available until all markets are filled up with a local station If that ever happenes

The movie industry will never allow media that lets you watch movies at home. Buy any song digitally you want without buying the Album? Preposterous. Skip commercials, you wish. My baseball team not shown on free TV? Not in a million years. HBO available without a Cable/Sat subscription can't happen the providers would never allow it. Listen to virtually any radio station wherever you are, I only wish.
Networks broadcasting online? Forget about it will never happen.
HBO is already available without have HBO is already available without satellite and cable TV show its called HBO now

This is a national feed and the licenses for movies is national. By law this will not apply to local channels

First, my comparison was not about the content, it was that no one till more recently thought HBO would allow access without a Cable/Sat subscription just like some are trying to say Networks without locals can't or won't happen.
Second, the Networks ARE a national feed no different than TNT, AMC with their own programming. NBC could go to Cable only by dropping all affiliates, with it's shows nationwide and to use your example with any movies they have rights to, just like TBS. In fact in Boston NBC is toying with almost exactly that, dropping the affiliate and providing NBC programming themselves, but taking the extra step of it not being OTA.
When the locals are showing something from NBC they are simply an extension of the Network with an agreement to show Network programming. When not showing NBC (or whatever network) programming they are on their own for local news, syndicated programming etc.

Third, right now I can watch CBS online, LIVE if I am in any of 101 markets already up from the original 14, and next day anywhere for $5.99 a month. That doesn't sound like it is approaching the HBO model?? The CBS approach for online includes it's affiliates on the revenue side and they set it up to allow anyone to get CBS online live if they are in a market that allows it, not just if they live in a market that allows it lending even more credence that the Network programming is indeed or can be National. (I can travel and still watch live, their form of out of market)
http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/80088/cbs-to-stream-oos-offer-digital-vod

Further remember, the FCC is looking to change the exclusivity law. There is nothing in media transmissions that can't be changed if the parties involved think they have a better chance succeeding by doing so. Citing laws means little when change is wanted by the parties involved or the Government.
Which brings us back to the possibility of DISH being able to import another local during a dispute if the Government wants to allow it. I'm not saying this going to happen overnight, or exactly how the change will take place but it is obvious there is going to be a changes to the Network/Affiliate structure some that have already taken place, some coming.

Doesn't the fact that I can pay $5.99 and bypass a CBS local affiliate dispute still watching live all orchestrated by CBS say something?

Last edited:
First, my comparison was not about the content, it was that no one till more recently thought HBO would allow access without a Cable/Sat subscription just like some are trying to say Networks without locals can't or won't happen.
Second, the Networks ARE a national feed no different than TNT, AMC with their own programming. NBC could go to Cable only by dropping all affiliates, with it's shows nationwide and to use your example with any movies they have rights to, just like TBS. In fact in Boston NBC is toying with almost exactly that, dropping the affiliate and providing NBC programming themselves, but taking the extra step of it not being OTA.
When the locals are showing something from NBC they are simply an extension of the Network with an agreement to show Network programming. When not showing NBC (or whatever network) programming they are on their own for local news, syndicated programming etc.

Third, right now I can watch CBS online, LIVE if I am in any of 101 markets already up from the original 14, and next day anywhere for $5.99 a month. That doesn't sound like it is approaching the HBO model?? The CBS approach for online includes it's affiliates on the revenue side and they set it up to allow anyone to get CBS online live if they are in a market that allows it, not just if they live in a market that allows it lending even more credence that the Network programming is indeed or can be National. (I can travel and still watch live, their form of out of market)
http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/80088/cbs-to-stream-oos-offer-digital-vod

Further remember, the FCC is looking to change the exclusivity law. There is nothing in media transmissions that can't be changed if the parties involved think they have a better chance succeeding by doing so. Citing laws means little when change is wanted by the parties involved or the Government.
Which brings us back to the possibility of DISH being able to import another local during a dispute if the Government wants to allow it. I'm not saying this going to happen overnight, or exactly how the change will take place but it is obvious there is going to be a changes to the Network/Affiliate structure some that have already taken place, some coming.

Doesn't the fact that I can pay $5.99 and bypass a CBS local affiliate dispute still watching live all orchestrated by CBS say something?
They only allow streaming in markets that CBS O&O stations are. There are a couple items to think about. 1) The FCC auction next year that will limit bandwidth for free TV
Most network stations claim they have no interest in giving up their frequency to AT&T 2) The 1994 Fox swapped that removed CBS from Atlanta, Detroit and Milwaukee. For example in Detroit CBS ended up purchasing a religious TV station to stay on the air in that market. That area was fully wired for cable but CBS decided that over the air was the best option.
With the keep it or loose it for good proposal coming up next year I don't see networks going to cable only. Also the broadcaster are not going to give up their bandwidth

I agree with you about the bandwidth, it would be hard to believe they would just give that up, but could there be a different use for it over the horizon we just don't know about or are not thinking about is the question.

You are wrong about the live streaming however, it is available in 121 markets most of which are not O&O of course and that's how fast it has grown and part of my point that this happening. If I gave the impression that OTA was going away now that isn't what I think, partly because as you point out they are not going to give up the bandwidth and partly because it does work still in many Markets. But that doesn't mean a soft start couldn't take place as NBC is toying with. Even if NBC does not do it now it is just so obvious they all are thinking about the future and that future may not rely solely on affiliates.

Reactions: ChadT41
Third, right now I can watch CBS online, LIVE if I am in any of 101 markets already up from the original 14, and next day anywhere for $5.99 a month.
So people are upset because they have to pay $1 (give or take)/month for their local via sat, but you think people will flock to a "local" streaming option that costs $6/channel?

So people are upset because they have to pay $1 (give or take)/month for their local via sat, but you think people will flock to a "local" streaming option that costs $6/channel?

Welcome to the world of online programming that so many think will be so much cheaper. If you pick and choose it could be cheaper, if you want lots of channels not so much. But if someone only really watches or wants CBS over the other networks sure they will pay $6 over a cable bill, or $12 for two networks.
Yes if someone wants to stop using Cable/Satellite they will. Or someone traveling might. Remember they won't need to pay it every month, get it when shows you watch are new/live and/or catch up on back episodes then drop the Network for awhile. Many are doing that now alternating with Netflix and Hulu. (Not as much with Amazon because of the other benefits)
And the reason for being upset is twofold.Because the locals hold us hostage, combined with they are allowed to even make demands on a service that should be free. Give up the OTA spectrum and be Cable only and go online, now you are on the same footing as TNT, A&E etc.

And one more explanation I alluded to before. They could have made access by account proved by credit card address and your current location. Meaning you can only watch in the area your market is in. By making the service available to wherever you happen to be, live in 121 markets and next day anywhere they have introduced a form of Distants. Aero allowed only watching in your own market while in your own market.

Reactions: ChadT41
Welcome to the world of online programming that so many think will be so much cheaper. If you pick and choose it could be cheaper, if you want lots of channels not so much. But if someone only really watches or wants CBS over the other networks sure they will pay $6 over a cable bill, or $12 for two networks.
Yes if someone wants to stop using Cable/Satellite they will. Or someone traveling might. Remember they won't need to pay it every month, get it when shows you watch are new/live and/or catch up on back episodes then drop the Network for awhile. Many are doing that now alternating with Netflix and Hulu. (Not as much with Amazon because of the other benefits)
And the reason for being upset is twofold.Because the locals hold us hostage, combined with they are allowed to even make demands on a service that should be free. Give up the OTA spectrum and be Cable only and go online, now you are on the same footing as TNT, A&E etc.

And one more explanation I alluded to before. They could have made access by account proved by credit card address and your current location. Meaning you can only watch in the area your market is in. By making the service available to wherever you happen to be, live in 121 markets and next day anywhere they have introduced a form of Distants. Aero allowed only watching in your own market while in your own market.
I think you might not understand my point. If NBC wanted to become a full time cable channel and stream then I would agree. However I do not be leave than NBC can be free over the air in one DMA and charge in another. The license set be the FCC are different. Your either one or the other. Now for the correction Yes there are several national networks that stream live. CBS LiL allow you to stream within the O&O. DMA This is controlled by your CC zip and the internet a provider information. For cell phones it requires that your location info be turned on. With respect to AT&T this is a sticking point with me. Basically the LTE overlay that they introduced does not traveled far as the old GSM They feel by changing the bandwidth to a lower frequency at 600 MHZ will make up the difference. I won't get into this to much since I disagree with it

This is no coincidence, Both NBC and CBS.
http://www.aftvnews.com/
"A source says Amazon has reached out to CBS and NBC to express interest in carrying their channels on the new service. It’s unclear if negotiations have started or if Amazon is just looking into the economics of such a service."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)