Info on Captiveworks CW3000HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

scootertime

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2007
If you have any info on the Captiveworks CW 3000HD please reply to this post.
One question I have is how loud is the system?
Thank you.

Yes, it was released, it's basically a PC. I have no clue how loud it is, but from what I saw it only has a couple cooling fans so probably simiar to a PC in noise.

Iceberg, from what I saw, there were only like 500 units for the first shipment.

Edit:
Actually some of the people who have them report is sounds about as loud as a PC, but only has like a 200 watt powersupply. I'm not sure with that little a PS, how you could honestly use all the tuner slots and features at the same time effectively. It's a bit pricey for me and I don't really like the whole size of it. It won't fit in my setup well. If the darn 8000 would get blindscan I'd be all over that unit.

People have reported they are starting to receive the 300HD.

I dunno about the noise level, the CW-1000s I own is way to loud for me. I've been trying to figure out a way to quiet it. I may replace the power supply with an external brick, but it frustrates me that I have to do mods to it to quiet it down. With three small diameter fans spinning I can't see how any one uses it in a HT environment.

I've been following the install issues with the CW3000 on the Captiveworks official tech support forum. It sounds like it's to early to get one of these units, pretty much beta code on it now.

It is a Linux box running VDR. It's not a bad deal for someone who doesn't want to build their own box and setup (including compile) VDR with a Linux distro. But, as MotleyFool mentioned, there are lots of complaints about it in various forums because of software bugs. And I am sure that part of the problems are related to having to fine tune things to get it to work properly. It's less than $500 with no hard drive included. Careful shopping along with downloading the right Linux software (free) could get better results than what people are having now.
It really is not a plug & play system by any means.
grusome

If one were too build their own machine are there any good resources to use to figure out what DVB cards to use etc...

Also does anyone know what DVB card the CyberWorks guys are using to get HD ?

I am more stuck on the hardware then the software requirements.

Last edited:
any of the current pci or usb cards can be used to tune HD, the problem isnt the tuner, its the cpu power required to decode the signal, you'll need a pretty good system to have the juice to decode HD.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)