Install Of the HR20

Status
Please reply by conversation.

waynebtx

Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
Texas
I have had two installer come now since the 2nd. Both are telling me that i don,t need a second cable from the dish to my reciver but use a diplexer from my OTA cable and run it that way. With this set up some of my ota are not comeing in. The Directv tech says that a diplexer should not be used with the 5lnb dish. Who is wright?:confused:

Last edited:
I have had two installer come now since the 2nd. Both are telling me that I dont need a second cable from the dish to my reciver but use a diplexer from my OTA cable and run it that way. With this set up some of my ota are not comeing in. The Directv tech says that a diplexer should not be used with the 5lnb dish. Who is wright?:confused:

The DirecTV tech is correct, no diplexers with the 5-lnb dish. It will work today but as soon as the new satellites DirecTV 10 and 11 start transmitting later this year diplexing will fail because they will deliver signals which overlap the OTA frequency band. Run a separate OTA cable if you can.
I don't know why some of your OTA are not being received, probably because your antenna is not enough for your location and the strength of the OTA signals.

They come in on my TVs tuner and had come in on my H10. The HR20 see the rest of my OTA just two of the are not seen or come in on guide.

They come in on my TVs tuner and had come in on my H10. The HR20 see the rest of my OTA just two of the are not seen or come in on guide.

Which do you mean, they are in the guide but you don't receive them, or they are not in the guide??

Which do you mean, they are in the guide but you don't receive them, or they are not in the guide??

Both not seen or in the guide. The HR20 Tuner will not pick them up. And they are not listed in the guide.

Last edited:
If they are not in the guide then the HR20 can't pick them up, it only looks for the stations in the guide. It is known that there are stations missing from the guide, particularly some of the subchannels. Exactly where are you located and which stations are missing?

I am 44 miles north west of Corpus the stations missing are KIII 3.1 and 3.2 they came in fine on my H10. Directv say they should come in and have not heard of others around here that are not getting them.

I am 44 miles north west of Corpus the stations missing are KIII 3.1 and 3.2 they came in fine on my H10. Directv say they should come in and have not heard of others around here that are not getting them.

Do 3-1 and 3-2 appear in the guide? Based on this post http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=774830&highlight=corpus#post774830 they are missing from the guide. This is a guide data error and you will have to wait for DirecTV to issue a new version of the guide, I have no idea when that will be. At least DirecTV does know about the problem, they get the data from Earl at dbstalk.
There is nothing else you can do about this problem, just wait. Many people across the country have channels missing from the guide.

So, he says to run the satellite cables to the diplexer but to run a seperate cable from the OTA on the dish directly to the location of your receiver?

So, he says to run the satellite cables to the diplexer but to run a seperate cable from the OTA on the dish directly to the location of your receiver?

OK, maybe you are confusing a diplexer with a multiswitch?
You need to run individual cables from the dish to each tuner - receivers have one tuner, DVRs have two tuners. If you have more than four tuners you need to run all four cables from the dish to a Zinwell WB68 mulitswitch, then run cables from the multiswitch to the tuners. No splitters, no diplexers.

For OTA, you need to run a separate cable from your OTA antenna to the TV where you want OTA. If you need to run the antenna to more than one TV, you connect it to a splitter (typically two or four-way) and then run individual cables to each TV. If the splitter decreases your signal strength too much, use a distribution amplifier instead.

They are missing from the guide as i stated also from tuner. The missing from guide i understand D* is working on. What i have now is the istaller used my OTA cable and used a diplexer to run the cable to the second tuner from the dish and to the tuner for my ota. Have a SR Tech coming 1-9-07 to run the cables the way the should be.

They are missing from the guide as i stated also from tuner. The missing from guide i understand D* is working on. What i have now is the istaller used my OTA cable and used a diplexer to run the cable to the second tuner from the dish and to the tuner for my ota. Have a SR Tech coming 1-9-07 to run the cables the way the should be.

Good. As I said, the diplexer config you have will work for now but as soon as DirecTV 10 and 11 start transmitting, you will lose signals - actually you will lose the sat signals because the diplexer will not pass them...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)