Install Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

WALLYWOMBAT

SatelliteGuys Family
Jul 10, 2009
I am currently looking at possibly switching over to Directv and was wondering if there was anyway that I would be able to use the mount that my current dish uses? It is currently mounted on my chimney.

Previously I have been told that as that the dish is mounted to the chimney and that it isn't compatible with the dishes used by Directv that it couldn't be used. Unfortunately mounting directly to the roof is not an option at this time and the only other option I have been given previously is to do a pole mount roughly 20 feet away from the house (which was not an acceptable option).

Thoughts and comments appreciated.

CB

WALLYWOMBAT said:
I am currently looking at possibly switching over to Directv and was wondering if there was anyway that I would be able to use the mount that my current dish uses? It is currently mounted on my chimney.

Previously I have been told that as that the dish is mounted to the chimney and that it isn't compatible with the dishes used by Directv that it couldn't be used. Unfortunately mounting directly to the roof is not an option at this time and the only other option I have been given previously is to do a pole mount roughly 20 feet away from the house (which was not an acceptable option).

Thoughts and comments appreciated.

CB

Your unacceptable option is your best bet. If you can talk a tech in to boaring 10 new holes in the mortor to install the dish with monopoles you're looking at a pole mount. Why is it unacceptable anyways?

Can't the pole mount be any closer to the house?
Why is 20' unacceptable? Location?
Maybe another location could be found.
Another reason for the pole mount is it would make is easier to clear of snow when needed.

The mast on the rather large (and poorly named) DIRECTV Slimline dish is quite a bit larger in diameter than the masts for other DBS dishes (2" versus 1-5/8") so your existing mast cannot be reused. Even with a good mast, I'm pretty sure a "strut" or two are also required.

There are roof mounts that are non-penetrating but you'll pay through the nose for them.

In answer to the question as to why 20' is unacceptable... Primarily the location is the reason Putting a pole in the middle of one of the higher traffic areas of my yard really does not work for my wife as sand my wife has stated that she doesn't want it in an area of our yard that we use quite regularly. The only other area that was given to me in my previous attempt to have directv installed has a line of site issue potential as that my neighbor's trees were essentially right on the edge of being in the way and cutting or trimming them unfortunately isn't an option with the neighbors.

skinnycrimper said:
1 Inch and 1/2 pvc cut approx 5 inches and slit it longways tap it
on the dish mount and waaalaa. it workes. tighten the AZL

An HSP or O&O tech wont even consider doing this

Solid Signal sells adapters to increase the OD to 2".

JD, are these the Plastic ones your talking about ?

If so, the Installer won't use them ...

I have one that I DO use and it works well, but it's only used on temp. situations, on the RV rig because I couldn't get a Tripod with a 2" pipe at the time.

Don't know if I could NOW or not.

Using an adapter may allow the dish to fit on a smaller mast, but that doesn't address the smaller, weaker base. Even with support poles, there will be more strain on the base because of the smaller size. That's not good!

In answer to the question as to why 20' is unacceptable... Primarily the location is the reason Putting a pole in the middle of one of the higher traffic areas of my yard really does not work for my wife as sand my wife has stated that she doesn't want it in an area of our yard that we use quite regularly. The only other area that was given to me in my previous attempt to have directv installed has a line of site issue potential as that my neighbor's trees were essentially right on the edge of being in the way and cutting or trimming them unfortunately isn't an option with the neighbors.

Stick with cable tv. You have too many restrictions.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)