installation advice - South Florida

Status
Please reply by conversation.

johnml

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 3, 2006
fort lauderdale
:confused: I see here in South Florida the installer's mount the dishes to the fascia board with tapcon screws. When they originally installed mine, my fascia board wasn't wide enough and they were only able to get two tapcons in it ( aren't tapcons for concrete ? ) after last years hurricanes it blew off. I reinforced the fascia board with a couple pieces of plywood and bolted it back on. My question is -
Directv is coming out Friday to install a AT9 dish and from what I hear, its heavier and has to be very " on target " I don't feel mounting to the fascia board is secure enough. Any advise ? As I ride around I see the dishes mounted this way all over - most fascia board isn't even wide enough for the bracket to fit completely on ( mine isn't ) my dish is mounted on the north side of my house facing southwest - It cant be mounted on the south side because of neighbors trees otherwise i would mount it there on the concrete wall... thanks -
Any ideas ?:eureka

johnml said:
:confused: I see here in South Florida the installer's mount the dishes to the fascia board with tapcon screws. When they originally installed mine, my fascia board wasn't wide enough and they were only able to get two tapcons in it ( aren't tapcons for concrete ? ) after last years hurricanes it blew off. I reinforced the fascia board with a couple pieces of plywood and bolted it back on. My question is -
Directv is coming out Friday to install a AT9 dish and from what I hear, its heavier and has to be very " on target " I don't feel mounting to the fascia board is secure enough. Any advise ? As I ride around I see the dishes mounted this way all over - most fascia board isn't even wide enough for the bracket to fit completely on ( mine isn't ) my dish is mounted on the north side of my house facing southwest - It cant be mounted on the south side because of neighbors trees otherwise i would mount it there on the concrete wall... thanks -

Yes tapcons are for concrete...
Speaking of concrete, Can you place a pole in concrete, this way getting it off the small fashia that is really too small.

I don't know if that is anoption for you or not, I think that is what I will be doing when I get my new dish., I too am currently attached to the fashia on my house.

BTW, Does anyone hav ethe measurements on the footprint of the AT-9 base (for mounting purposes)

Jimbo

word of warning from fort lauderdale

the guys from MASTEC installed my parents KaKu dish in March. Thank goodness I was there. Their 2LNB (which I had pole mounted) survived Hurricanes, but it wasnt good enough for 5LNB. When I arrived, the tech was trying to convince Dad that best place for dish was in middle of patio next to pool.

um, yeah right.

Next they tried the side of house, but once it was mounted they couldnt turn it.

so they put it on a stepping stone on side of the house. yes a large paver stone(maybe 3x3). hasnt moved at all. Just make sure you watch what they're doing at all times.

Stay classy,FURLEY OUT!

Anybody know where i could find a 12-14 foot post in the fort lauderdale area ? that's the size i would need to get a sight over my roof. I'm almost certin the AT9 wont attach to my fascia board. i drove around my neighborhood and only saw one AT9 and it was mounted to a fascia board. apparently Mastec ( the local installer ) mounts this way, and it just wont work for my.

johnml said:

You're not listening to me! :)
Please consider mounting the dish on a pole beneath the existing dish. It's the most stable way to mount an AT9. BTW, is the board that your current dish is mounted to angled up (rake board) or is it parallel to the ground (fascia board)? I couldn't tell for sure by the picture you posted in the other thread.

its parallel to the ground. i agree, the new dish wont work that way. Im trying to find a post long enough to do the job. To get to my current height of the existing dish i would need a 12' pole ( to go 2' into the ground ) and 10' from ground to the existing dish.

johnml said:
its parallel to the ground. i agree, the new dish wont work that way. Im trying to find a post long enough to do the job. To get to my current height of the existing dish i would need a 12' pole ( to go 2' into the ground ) and 10' from ground to the existing dish.

Then I stand corrected, it is attached to the fascia. Sorry for my confusion.
You should be able to find a pole long enough. I know you can get it online, but there must be a fence company in FtL that has one that size. Keep looking!

raoul5788 said:
Then I stand corrected, it is attached to the fascia. Sorry for my confusion.
You should be able to find a pole long enough. I know you can get it online, but there must be a fence company in FtL that has one that size. Keep looking!

I called Quite a few fence companies - none will sell unless their doing a job ? I found one that will sell a 2"x14" pipe - is 2" adequate ? or I could just get a wood post - 6"x6"x12'. Thoughts ? thanks -

johnml said:
I called Quite a few fence companies - none will sell unless their doing a job ? I found one that will sell a 2"x14" pipe - is 2" adequate ? or I could just get a wood post - 6"x6"x12'. Thoughts ? thanks -

I assume you mean 2" x 14' pole. 2" is the correct size for the AT9.

raoul5788 said:
I assume you mean 2" x 14' pole. 2" is the correct size for the AT9.

Yes - 2"x14'. So a 2" is the correct size ? I was either going to go with a pole or a 6'x6'x12' pressure treated post, but the wood post will be at or just below my roof line after i set it. my wife found a fence company that will sell me a galvanised post. which is my best option ? thanks -

johnml said:
Yes - 2"x14'. So a 2" is the correct size ? I was either going to go with a pole or a 6'x6'x12' pressure treated post, but the wood post will be at or just below my roof line after i set it. my wife found a fence company that will sell me a galvanised post. which is my best option ? thanks -

I would go with the pole. It's more stable, that is, it can't warp like the wood eventually will. Sink it two feet in the ground and let it go above the roof line. No harm in it being higher than it needs to be. Just be sure that it is plumb when you install it. Place it so that it can be attached to the fascia board and still be plumb. That way it will be more stable. Make sure you post more pictures when you are done. We love to see pictures! :D :D

I live in S. Florida, I chose to have mine mounted on my south wall (CBS), the very top edge of the dish is about 6ft from the ground, and is under my roof edge, I did that because, sat. installers are installers, not roofers, I paid good money to get a new roof, I'll be damned if I'm going through another roof repair/replacment again if I can avoid it, it's cheaper to patch the walls than fix a roof, nor did I want to go on my roof if I ever wanted to take the dish down, and since it is that low, a home to my south blocks most of the wind (if the hurricane comes from the east), and some of it (if from the west), the dish is super stable, as I have no special wall treatments, I did not have to worry about damage in that regard, ymmv.

I left it up during every hurricane last year, (Wilma went right through my backyard) and it did not even get knocked out of alignment for any of them. Nearby dishes on a condo nearby have a bunch of dishes on the roof, most looked ok afterwards from below, and the people I knew in that condo whos dish survived, almost all lost some signal (a couple were at 0/0/0), I saw several missing from a nearby condo, and a few bent off the mounting poles, dangling there.

I hear ya. I live in Oakland Park. My current dish setup fared well thru Wilma, but i did have to brace it before. While my neighbors were without cable ( and power ) for weeks, I was watching T.V. ( with my generator ) Ideally I would like to mount it on the south side ( CBS ), but my neighbor has two Black olive trees that look like they will be in the way. with this new dish being bigger & heavier, I think a post mount is my only option. It seems the installers here only install on fascia boards and they love to use tapcons in wood too ! they don't care - once its up their gone...:cool:

Status
Please reply by conversation.