Installation for 6/8 - newbie needs help!!

rcmojo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 2, 2004
New Voom customer here. I'm scheduled for installation tomorrow morning and I have a few questions:

1. My install will be done by Digital Direct (I'm in Austin, Tx). Does anyone have experience with them? I called this morning to verify my installation and they told me that it's still on for tomorrow. I guess I'm a bit worried due to all the reports of equipment shortages.

2. I'm also a slave to DTV. Any chance that Voom will have the BBC America channel in the near (or not so near) future?

3. I'm a huge sports fan. While I certainly understand that Voom currently does not cater to the sports addicted, what are the chances of them offering the sports subs (minus NFL ST) by September? It looks like I'll need to keep DTV at least through football season but I can dream, right?

Many thanks to you talented, helpful folks who answer so many questions on this forum. I find myself visiting this forum more than I watch TV!! I hope that changes when I'm Vooming tomorrow!!

rcmojo,

welcome.

1. It looks like they have the equipment so this is good.
2. BCC America, I would say that any SD channel out there (contingent to contract negotiations) will be carried by VOOM once their MPG4/WM9 and new satellite slot are put in effect. This will take probably sometime since it will start by the last quarter of this year and probably ends by last quarter of next year. Regarding NFL, DirecTv has exclusive contracts with NFL through the 2006 season for any DBS. So I would not hope to get those NFL games on VOOM.

Also Austin Voomer

I'm scheduled to get VOOM installed next Tuesday, 06/15. I live in the Cedar Park area so I am anxious to see how well the OTA channels are going to come in. I bet you will have a problem getting your installation done today because of the monsoon rains we're having. Let us know how the installation goes and what your first impression of VOOM is.

Austin also

Hi, I'm new to the forums. I'm supposed to get my Voom install 6/9 in Austin (McNeil & 183 area) by Digital Direct. I wonder about my installation as well because it's supposed to rain tomorrow again. Let me know how it goes and I'll do the same. I can't wait!

BTW: My first install date was June 1st and they had to reschedule for the 9th due to not having the equipment.

Don't get your hopes up the install is only a 50-50 chance that someone will come out. Just hope someone calls you to reschedule

Digital Direct showed up today in the rain and installed VOOM. Everything went well except he claimed not to have received any cables from VOOM. Installation was quick and painless. Here are the OTA's mapped in the stb:

7-1 KTBCD1 (signal too weak to pickup even with wineguard ota)
14-1 KXAMD (no signal)
14-2 KXAMD2 (no signal)
18-1 PBS (fades in and out)
18-2 PBS (fades in and out)
18-3 PBSKIDS (fades)
18-4 PBS (fades)
24-1 KVUED1 (comes in great)
36-1 KXAND1 (comes in great)
42-1 KEYED1 (comes in great)
54-1 KNVAD1 (fades in and out - maybe due to bad weather?)
62-1 KAKWD1 (spanish, comes in great)

My OTA signal fluctuates wildly between 20 and 70 - maybe this is weather related since it's still raining here.

Rain really shouldn't affect OTA signals too much. Not as much as it affects the satellite, that's for sure. When it rains a lot here, I usually switch to the OTA channels. :no

What type of antenna did VOOM provide? If I don't get more channels than that after my installation next Tuesday, I will be asking for an upgrade. Did the guy that did the installation for you think that the antenna was adequate?

Those are the OTA channels mapped by the stb. Hopefully, when the new software upgrade is released, we'll be able to pickup a few more channels. I'm using the Wineguard OTA.

I really don't see how a software upgrade will improve your picture quality on the OTA stations. Also, I notice you're not getting channel 7. Isn't this the FOX network? My wife's not going to be happy if we can't get that. It sounds like the Winegard is not going to cut it on the non-UHF channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)