Installation Problems

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Melissa

Original poster
Sep 6, 2005
We moved recently and took advantage of the Directv movers program. We have had three installation appointments with the local sub and only have one DVR receiver working (and it only has one cable running to it). The subs are telling us that the problem is our finished basement. We thought they could run cables from the dish through the side of the house instead of using the cables already in the house. Only one tech has mentioned this.

Directv is advising us to get a contractor to look at our house to see what can be done. Any suggestions on who to contact for this type of work? Any advice from others who have had installation problems with a finished basement? We don't want to give up our Directv service, but will have to if we can't get it on all of our televisions.

Melissa said:
The subs are telling us that the problem is our finished basement. We thought they could run cables from the dish through the side of the house instead of using the cables already in the house. Only one tech has mentioned this.

What exactly are they saying the problem is?

The guy who came out this past weekend said they would have to go in throught the walls or ceiling to get to the cables. I know the first guy that came out said there are three cables coming into the house, but he could only find two. One is being used for our cable internet.

How many sets did you have before the move? With the moving plan you should get that many re-installed. I would use the existing line unless I knew 100% what was installed and how, or unless I did it myself.

D* should be able to run the wiring on the outside of the house without a problem, if you want the wires hidden, or in wall, you will need a contractor to do that.

The problem is the that the tech is only getting paid 35 bucks for the first reciever and 15 for the 2nd ,third etc.
Out of this he pays for materials,gas. It's easier for him to say no way and go on to a job that he won't lose money on.
There is always a way to get wires in, if you sweetened the pot he probably would have found a way.
Call direc and threaten to cancel if they can't fix your problem.

Thanks for the feedback. We were wondering if the issue was the amount of time the sub would need to invest. (The last one to come out insisted he wasn't lazy.) We have been the ones to suggest bringing the wires in from outside but they are focusing on using the wires already in the basement, which they say are behind the finished walls and ceiling. They are saying they would have to "invade" the walls and ceiling to get the additional receivers installed. I hate to go back to them for a 4th time. Directv has offered us money/credit towards custom installation but I don't know who to contact.

Melissa said:
Thanks for the feedback. We were wondering if the issue was the amount of time the sub would need to invest. (The last one to come out insisted he wasn't lazy.) We have been the ones to suggest bringing the wires in from outside but they are focusing on using the wires already in the basement, which they say are behind the finished walls and ceiling. They are saying they would have to "invade" the walls and ceiling to get the additional receivers installed. I hate to go back to them for a 4th time. Directv has offered us money/credit towards custom installation but I don't know who to contact.

if you really dont want to go with D* you could contact a local electrician. Or if you dont have a phone book contact your local lowes or home depot and see who they recommend to install coax cable.

I contacted a local electrician, but they said they don't get involved with satellites. I'll try a few more. Thanks for the feedback.

Melissa said:
I contacted a local electrician, but they said they don't get involved with satellites. I'll try a few more. Thanks for the feedback.

you only need them to run your Coax, not hook up the satellite or any thing like that. Be sure you let them know that if they shoot you down.

I talked to the local Directv sub again today. He told me that we can run 4 lines from our satellite, so we discussed the possibility of running the lines around the side of the house and in through the walls rather than them trying to use what is already in the basement or running new cable in through the basement walls and ceiling. He said that may be possible and could get us what we want (3 receivers, one dvr with two lines and two basic receivers with one line each). He said it would be custom work and we would set it up without directv.

I am wondering if the $ from Directv wasn't worth it for them to want to do this the other times they've been out. At this point I am concerned about keeping Directv's service, and I will pay extra for the custom work and try to get back credit from Directv.

Hopefully we're on the right path now and I won't need to get a contractor involved who will knock out walls and ceilings.

If you hired a contractor who did that they deserve to lose their lic

Its not all that hard.. just some fishing and such.

if you do hire a contractor just tell him you need rg6 coax run from point a (entrance of hosue for coax) to pints b cc and d (2 cs for double run) the D* sub can run the wire from the dish to the entrance.

Should I be worried about the sub running the cables directly from the dish in through the sides of the house directly to the receivers? Is this common?

The most common practise is for them to take the shortest route, unless that route is ridiculously HARD work or the home owner objects or makes a "special" request; keep in mind THAT SPECIAL might cost more, so ask 1st.. Going thru the wall is VERY acceptable. IMHO, I think around the outside looks trashy AND it can make the cable runs excessively long for no good reason.

It would not be our choice if it didn't appear to be the only choice we have to keep directv. They are saying we run the cables on the outside of the house or tear down walls/ceilings to run cable inside the finished basement. I love our directv service so I am willing to pay extra for this and live with the cable on the outside.

Well running cables by ANY company, be it DirecTV, Dish or your cable company, through a finished basement with wall and ceiling fish will cost extra. Drilling thru a wall or running around the outside SHOULD NOT. A real cable installer or contractor CAN do it without destroying your hoe, but as mentioned before these guys get paid piecemeal and do not want to spend all day on one job. This is the contracted installers issue and how they get paid (which is another issue). The cable company use certain splitters that operate via a different frequency than DBS so using cables pre-wired into a home can be bad news for DBS installs; thats why they prefer to run their own unless the home owner is 100% sure of what they have and signs off.

They really haven't had the incentive to do it before so I am willing to pay now just to get it done. We've been in our new house for three months now with only one receiver working. We have to get ready for football season. If they need more money than Directv normally pays them to get the job done, we're willing to pay it to get the job done.

Does the long cable affect the picture quality?

100' and over isn't the best of ideas (this is from the LNB to receiver) AND avoid breaks in the lines as well.

charper1 said:
100' and over isn't the best of ideas (this is from the LNB to receiver) AND avoid breaks in the lines as well.

...Which brings me to a question... You say "avoid breaks" and sure, that makes sense. But do you recommend going so far as to avoid a "break" at the place where the cable comes out of the wall and goes to the receiver?? Typically, I see connections at this point where the cable inside the wall terminates on a barrel in a coverplate and then another cable connects from the other side of that connection to the receiver... Should one avoid that "break" too by instead running a fully terminated, continuous cable out of the wall and directly to the receiver through a simple wall plate with a hole in it??? thanks... diitto...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)