insufficient bandwidth

cfkillers

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 23, 2004
pg county, maryland
im having issues watching ondemand 4k content i have a good internet connection with speed test and get 650mbs wired and 300mbps wireless. I called Dish and they stated contact xfinity. Does Xfinity throttle streams from Dish?

im having issues watching ondemand 4k content i have a good internet connection with speed test and get 650mbs wired and 300mbps wireless. I called Dish and they stated contact xfinity. Does Xfinity throttle streams from Dish?
How about a random speed test on a phone, tablet or computer? Get a baseline.
This was part of net neutrality fiasco, sure hope they are not doing it!

If you are running wireless, try a wired connection. could be a wifi problem.

Reactions: gasman882001
yes hopper 3 and two 4k joeys. I even make sure nobody else is watching ondemand content on dish and still get insufficient bandwidth
Direct has a speed test in its software, does Dish have that?....I guess that would tell if your speeds are being throttled back.
I live where I can get max 10meg down, so 4k not possible for me.

No they don't but the Hoppers historically have issues with Comcast/Xfinity gateways. The fixes are either ethernet, a third party router connected to the gateway for the hopper to connect to or a HIC if you can get one and know how to install it

Also, have you gone into the tools menu on the diagnostics page, hit the little home button three times, and go to factory reset and reset your Netflix settings and then log back in

Reactions: charlesrshell
So let's see... if cfkillers runs the suggested speed test on the Hopper 3 and the download speed is reasonable, then it would be up to Dish to determine what the problem is, right? I played around with requesting a free Dish on-demand 4k title and immediately got the Insufficient Bandwidth message. It's like it doesn't even try before issuing the message. I have 25Mbps service. Funny thing is, here is Dish's own web page stating that a minimum speed for 4K IP VOD content is 10Mbps (line 7). Many of us should be golden if requesting such content, it would seem. https://my.dish.com/support/general-speed-size

Reactions: pattykay
So let's see... if cfkillers runs the suggested speed test on the Hopper 3 and the download speed is reasonable, then it would be up to Dish to determine what the problem is, right? I played around with requesting a free Dish on-demand 4k title and immediately got the Insufficient Bandwidth message. It's like it doesn't even try before issuing the message. I have 25Mbps service. Funny thing is, here is Dish's own web page stating that a minimum speed for 4K IP VOD content is 10Mbps (line 7). Many of us should be golden if requesting such content, it would seem. https://my.dish.com/support/general-speed-size
Well I think Dish should be let knows of the problem, because maybe they are being throttled back?....Its completely legal now!

Somehow I doubt that somebody paying for service that shows 650Mbps would be throttled to under Dish's stated minimum for 4K VOD which apparently is 10Mbps. That would be pretty serious throttling. But it's possible that cfkillers has been a bad actor with 100 simultaneous BitTorrent transfers going on 24 by 7 for the last 5 years, and Xfinity is just fed up. :biggrin

Last edited:
That is interesting, I have WOW 100MB service and I consistently test OVER 100 (like 115-120) on download, haven't checked the upload recently.
I was wrong I have 200 down and 10 up..I don't complain since I pay $34.99 month and cable works as long as your tv or converter box has a QAM tuner.. here's today's speed

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210712-125034~2.png
    Screenshot_20210712-125034~2.png
    144.8 KB · Views: 130
Somehow I doubt that somebody paying for service that shows 650Mbps would be throttled to under Dish's stated minimum for 4K VOD which apparently is 10Mbps. That would be pretty serious throttling. But it's possible that cfkillers has been a bad actor with 100 simultaneous BitTorrent transfers going on 24 by 7 for the last 5 years, and Xfinity is just fed up. :biggrin
You do know it is legal ? correct? I wouldnt be surprised at all !.. Corporate America is a greedy and have little to know heart!
Just look at ATT and what they did with Dish! and ATT loses money having less subscribers of HBO!

I was wrong I have 200 down and 10 up..I don't complain since I pay $34.99 month
I guess when you say you "have 200 down" you mean the service provides "up to" that speed, right? Because the image you posted says 41.1 down unless I'm having trouble discerning digits.

Anyway, nothing wrong with $34.99 for decent internet, that's for sure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts