Interest in grouping threads by STB?

Zookster

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 19, 2004
Here and Now
I'm noticing that discussions of certain cable TV STBs, such as the SA8000/8300, are popping up under different cable company categories in this forum. I'm wondering if these threads and discussions attract enough interest to warrant new catagories for STB hardware. Any thoughts from other users and our moderators?
Thanks,
Zookster

Zookster, if these discussions attract alot of interest a new forum could be added. Right now this forum should be fine for any threads relating to stb's.

Zookster said:
I'm noticing that discussions of certain cable TV STBs, such as the SA8000/8300, are popping up under different cable company categories in this forum. I'm wondering if these threads and discussions attract enough interest to warrant new catagories for STB hardware. Any thoughts from other users and our moderators?
Thanks,
Zookster
Thanks for the advice. We might do this eventually. One thing to keep in mind though: makes and model numbers may be the same, but different cable companies use significantly different STB software (firmware) and even within the same software line they can be on different versions. So, when we discuss features and problems of a particular STB, they are often company-specific.

Thanks for the responses. I agree, Ilya, the software is an important distinction. Even here in San Diego Cox and TWC use different software for the same SA STBs.

I think I was just reacting to a recent post where someone was totally dissing Cox based on bad info they found on just one of many STBs that Cox uses across the country. This caused me to wonder if maybe it would be better to structure cable threads around the equipment that cuts across all the major cable companies.