interesting OTA problem

mkatts

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
ok, In the last week of May, I had the installer come back out to try and get my OTA's fixed. They wanted to try a better ant. I have the Winegard 2000 and I am only 12 miles from all channel towers. I instead made them move the Wineard up to the top peak and boom all was well. About a week ago NBC and ABC started dropping out about every 2-3 minutes. Watching the signal meter, it would be around 65-80, then drop down to 0. Both stb's would loose the signal at the same time. I do not have diplexors. With summer being here my ant is now pointed into the very top of a tree. Also I realized that the cable legnth down from the roof, around the house and into the amp has go to be around 100'. Then it gos into small amp, then a slpitter then to each stb. When the 2nd installer moved the ant up to the top peak he had to add a legnth of cable. So I have 6 connections from the ant to the stb's. When they had moved the ant up to the top I was getting 65-80 on all channels. I was thinking that maybe the tree had grown or maybe with the leaves were getting in the way, So i started planning to move the ant. I decided to check the many connections and low and behold every connection that the second installer touched had maybe one turn to them. The ones that were outside were not weather proof. We have had a ton of rain here the last couple of weeks. I replaced the connections (I am going to buy a role of cable and get rid of all of them) and tightened the others.

Now I am back to 65-80's and image is solid.

So long story short, if your having flaky OTA issues, CHECK and DOUBLE check every connection.

Even the sat signal is affected like this. My diplexor is mounted under the eve of my roof and water still managed to penetrate the water tight conecctors and short it out. The sat signal behaved in the same manner. Started flucuating between 90 and zero and then all of a sudden stayed at zero.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)