Intermittant problem with Joey2's

Richard5

Original poster
Jul 22, 2016
iowa
Have Hopper w/sling and 2 Joey2. Newer home with RG-6, Dish approved. Intermittent Total Signal Loss message on Joey's, Hopper ok. One location is more frequent. Signal level is good, dish has been checked, connections are good, hub has been replaced and the more problematic Joey has been replaced. May work fine for days or weeks, then the problem show up. Diagnostics show excellent connectivity. Sometimes will be restored with reset, other times not. Sometimes will come back by going to guide and channel select. Hopper is never effected. Any thoughts?

Have Hopper w/sling and 2 Joey2. Newer home with RG-6, Dish approved. Intermittent Total Signal Loss message on Joey's, Hopper ok. One location is more frequent. Signal level is good, dish has been checked, connections are good, hub has been replaced and the more problematic Joey has been replaced. May work fine for days or weeks, then the problem show up. Diagnostics show excellent connectivity. Sometimes will be restored with reset, other times not. Sometimes will come back by going to guide and channel select. Hopper is never effected. Any thoughts?
Can you eyeball any of the coax? Check for kinks, etc.

Reactions: Tampa8

Aside from Charlesrshell's advice my first thought is something is interfering. Think about anything new or that you moved it doesn't necessarily have to be something that uses wifi. As an example I got a new router with much better wifi coverage, the reason I got it. That diminished my garage door signal to the remote.n Maybe something you or someone in the house got for the holidays etc etc...

Reactions: charlesrshell
Aside from Charlesrshell's advice my first thought is something is interfering. Think about anything new or that you moved it doesn't necessarily have to be something that uses wifi. As an example I got a new router with much better wifi coverage, the reason I got it. That diminished my garage door signal to the remote.n Maybe something you or someone in the house got for the holidays etc etc...
Nothing new added. I live in a rural area with no next door neighbors. I just thought of something.. the land line telephone provider has recently installed a wireless service offering internet and video. The small tower is located a couple of miles from me. Supposed to provide 5 mile line of site service offering high speed internet and a package of TV channels???

Nothing new added. I live in a rural area with no next door neighbors. I just thought of something.. the land line telephone provider has recently installed a wireless service offering internet and video. The small tower is located a couple of miles from me. Supposed to provide 5 mile line of site service offering high speed internet and a package of TV channels???

I'm thinking that is a possible cause if you are talking about a Fixed Wireless service. I am aware of an array of reports including the Government getting involved with interference. I have no idea if that is the cause for you or coincidence but interference to me is the place to start working on.

AM radios can be affected by that service if they are not using the correct traps/diodes etc....Even a weather radar site I see was affected. Fixed Wireless is affected by weather, I am thinking at times it is stronger at your house than others and that is when the interference could be taking place.

Thanks to all for the feed back. I will update when solution is found.
"more problematic Joey has been replaced" but no issue with Hopper?
Isn't the Hopper the signal source for both Joeys?
Couldn't the Hopper have an intermittent problem that would screw up both Joeys and not effect Hopper's playback?
Seems like an obvious possibility to me, am I missing something?

No idea if anyone is still tracking these threads but I have finally figured out what is causing the intermittent interference on my Joey2’s:

Believe it or not, every time we start one of our post-2010 Subarus, my Joey2 located closest to driveway has complete signal loss. If I leave it alone it takes less than 2 minutes for it to reconnect as long as we don’t touch anything.

I know this sounds crazy but we have replicated by monitoring the Joey during car start and can induce the signal loss. It doesn’t happen every single time, but often enough that it is not coincidental with anything but starting a car.

No idea if anyone is still tracking these threads but I have finally figured out what is causing the intermittent interference on my Joey2’s:

Believe it or not, every time we start one of our post-2010 Subarus, my Joey2 located closest to driveway has complete signal loss. If I leave it alone it takes less than 2 minutes for it to reconnect as long as we don’t touch anything.

I know this sounds crazy but we have replicated by monitoring the Joey during car start and can induce the signal loss. It doesn’t happen every single time, but often enough that it is not coincidental with anything but starting a car.
Bluetooth enabled in the Subaru?

That is very hard to understand. Your J2 is wired via MoCA? How about Ethernet?

And, is your hub and maybe splitter located in the garage like mine is? If so, make sure all the connections on it are tight. There may be some leakage going on that causes interference.
Coax from Sat Dish is split in basement (opposite side of house from cars) with RG6 running to all rooms but no longer in use as I switched to wireless Joeys.
Broadband is Comcast with their Coax split on same terminal board with service panel in basement, then wired up to router located near to Hopper3 and AP

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)