iPhone 4 has been officially announced! Goes on sale on June 24!

I would like to see a mini hdmi or other means of driving HDTV out of the thing. It would be nice to hook up to a TV and show videos. If you take a video using the 720p camera it would be nice to be able to show it without having to download to a computer.

Last edited:
How much more can they stick in there? There is not much missing under the hood that I can think of....
Exactly!
Even the gyro today was a bit "artificial", i.e. not a phone element.

Just like the classic iPod hit the feature wall few years after introduction.
I think next year they won't touch the hardware and add 4G, maybe HDMI...

The iPad is a different game.
The form factor allows to "re-invent" the computer, i.e. bring over all its features...

Diogen.

For starters, I wish it had an SDHC (or even a Micro-SD) slot. To simplify picture transfer from cameras and also for extra storage.
HD video output would be good too. Surprised it's not offered.

That's a good one. I'd VERY much like to be able to slip an SD or especially an SDHC card in, straight from my camcorder.

That's a good one. I'd VERY much like to be able to slip an SD or especially an SDHC card in, straight from my camcorder.

I don't think you'll ever see that with the nazi apple lockdown mindset. You'll have to go Android for that feature.

I'm sure the repair companies will love the two pieces of glass that will break instead of just one.

Can you still not take the battery out of this model?

There are a number of reasons I can see why they don't support add on storage.

1) Room in the phone. That thing is jam packed. They would give up a lot of real estate by adding a card reader in there

2) Issues caused by cheap data cards. People would be upset if their phone started doing funky things because they used a knock off cheap memory card.

Coming from a Windows Mobile phone this was something I didn't like when I moved to an iPhone, but now dont see it as an issue. Plug in the USB cable and you have access to your photos.

What I would like to see that would make things easier is for Apple to use Wireless syncing. Want to send your photos to your computer? No problem press a button and they are there... :)

Can you still not take the battery out of this model?
You can, but are not allowed...
http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/20/next-gen-iphone-splayed-battery-probably-not-meant-to-be-replac/

iPhone-4-Non-removable-Battery.jpg

Diogen.

Last edited:
How much more can they stick in there? There is not much missing under the hood that I can think of...

Maybe a FM HD Tuner?
Maybe a ATSC TV tuner?
Sure bigger storage... I was surprised no 64GB today..

But what else can they stick in there to make it better?

It would not surprise me to see them have no new iPhone next year.. only new units with more storage in the devices.

Flash.

The pricing is for a two year contract with att, and I was wondering what the REAL pricing on the units. I dont get where you say that they are already jailbroken. and as far as not working w/ tmobile, the current units work w/ tmobile same frequencys same bands for the most part. So in theory it should work.

what's not to get about the jailbreaking. Do a search and you will see that several of the jailbreakers are ALREADY claiming they have jailbroken it.

Currently iphones do not work with TMobile for 3G. The frequencies are different. Not sure why you thjink they are the same. You wind up using the slower Edge type netwotk.

Not sure what you call REAL pricing as they will likely only sell it with a commitment.

Last edited:
Plug in the USB cable and you have access to your photos.

What I would like to see that would make things easier is for Apple to use Wireless syncing. Want to send your photos to your computer? No problem press a button and they are there... :)

Syncing photos between an iPhone and a personal computer has never been a problem.
What I am talking about is getting pictures from your camera to the iPhone without a computer. How would you do that?

How much more can they stick in there? There is not much missing under the hood that I can think of...

Maybe a FM HD Tuner?
Maybe a ATSC TV tuner?
Sure bigger storage... I was surprised no 64GB today..

But what else can they stick in there to make it better?

It would not surprise me to see them have no new iPhone next year.. only new units with more storage in the devices.

LTE next year.

what's not to get about the jailbreaking. Do a search and you will see that several of the jailbreakers are ALREADY claiming they have jailbroken it.

Currently iphones do not work with TMobile for 3G. The frequencies are different. Not sure why you thjink they are the same. You wind up using the slower Edge type netwotk.

Not sure what you call REAL pricing as they will likely only sell it with a commitment.

Ohhhh I got ya now!!!!!!!!! I SEE SAYS THE BLIND MAN!!! :D :) Yea that's cool that its jailbroken. As far as the frequency's is concerned, the baseband is upgraded on this phone as a quad band, but its missing the tmobile 1700, unless 1900 can do 1700? That's the only frequency keeping 3g off of the iphone on tmobile. The other one, 2100, the iphone currently has, as well as the lower two for calls and edge.

LTE next year.

Bingo. This was the feature I was looking for. If I'm keeping a phone for 2 years, I want it to be ready for all of those years.

Now, it is unlikely I will go for this model next year. I'll ether keep my 3G, go for a 4G Android phone, or wait until next June to see when the 4G iPhone is out.

To me it seems Apple is pulling the same game it did with the original iPhone. We all thought it should have been on the new 3G technology. But it was Edge only. Low and behold one year later, the 3G model is out, and millions of gullible Apple fanatics open their wallets for Steve Jobs again. I won't be one of them.

It baffles me as to why they STILL won't allow memory cards and removable batteries. What is so bad about allowing people to have removable storage and being able to swap their batteries?

I don't buy the argument that the card reader takes up much space. All the microSD card slots I've seen are pretty well hidden and I have to think that after 4 years of this technology being available that they have figured out how to get it working with the least space possible. Or is Apple still researching on how to "do it right" like it had to do with multitasking? Ooooo show us how it's done Mr. Jobs, because we've honestly just been GUESSING up until now!

And the battery thing at this point is just a d*ck move. Has Apple come up with any valid excuse other than "Because we say so" as to why they don't have easily removable batteries? And no, having external batteries doesn't count. I shouldn't have to Frankenstein my iPhone in order to get extra battery life.

The answer is simple. So that when you fill your 8 gigs, you have to go to Apple to buy a 16 gig model. Or when you fill your 16 gigs, you have to get the 32 gig model.

Same with the batteries. When the battery starts to, they want you to get a new device.

They may make fine devices, but the entire company is built around separating you and your money.

Bingo. This was the feature I was looking for. If I'm keeping a phone for 2 years, I want it to be ready for all of those years.

Now, it is unlikely I will go for this model next year. I'll ether keep my 3G, go for a 4G Android phone, or wait until next June to see when the 4G iPhone is out.

To me it seems Apple is pulling the same game it did with the original iPhone. We all thought it should have been on the new 3G technology. But it was Edge only. Low and behold one year later, the 3G model is out, and millions of gullible Apple fanatics open their wallets for Steve Jobs again. I won't be one of them.

Exactly... I was laughing when I saw the original iphone come out. I was like uhh... you have a multimedia device with 2G only? Look at all the other phones that have 3G out there.

The "official" story on the battery is that a removable battery would require a larger, stiffer case to stand up to the use.

Yeah, I'd prefer a user replaceable battery, too.

Has Apple come up with any valid excuse other than "Because we say so" as to why they don't have easily removable batteries?
Leaving the official pontification aside, I can understand why they don't want user replaceable batteries.

Apple's hardware/engineering is mostly high quality.
You can't take apart any of them by just looking and figuring out how it works.
Hence, allowing user replaceable internals would mean step-by-step instruction of disassembly.
That would probably mean botched attempts to open the case most of the time...

Whatever Apple thinks the user needs access to can be accessed from outside. Case in point: SIM card in iPhone 4.

Diogen.

Leaving the official pontification aside, I can understand why they don't want user replaceable batteries.

Apple's hardware/engineering is mostly high quality.
You can't take apart any of them by just looking and figuring out how it works.
Hence, allowing user replaceable internals would mean step-by-step instruction of disassembly.
That would probably mean botched attempts to open the case most of the time...

Whatever Apple thinks the user needs access to can be accessed from outside. Case in point: SIM card in iPhone 4.

Diogen.
I read that as: Apple thinks you're too stupid to figure out how to swap out a battery. HTC, Samsung, Nokia, Motorola, LG and others seem to think us simpletons are able to handle this complicated task. I realize that one of Apple's alleged selling points is simplicity, but COME ON.

Whatever I could go on and on about this. I need to rescind myself from this thread. :rant:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)