iPod use on Denon 3313ci?

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
It appears I can either use the Apple usb cable and plug my classic into the USB port on the Denon, or use airplay from itunes on my laptop. Are either of those going to offer any better sound quality than the other?

Thanks.

It probably won't make much of a difference with lossy audio, like mp3. I always prefer a wired connection over a wireless one. AirPlay has an extra layer of protocols and wireless transmission that could cause problems, especially with video. I seriously doubt AirPlay can touch USB Class 2 audio or DSD, which is 32bit/384kHz.

I don't have a Denon but I use airplay to my Onkyo through an Apple TV (wired ethernet) all the time if I'm streaming from my iPhone (WiFi obviously). I also stream directly to the Onkyo from a PC using DLNA with both devices wired to ethernet. I'm no extreme audiophile but I can't tell any difference between either method.

Your home network, whether its Wifi or Wired, should have plenty of bandwidth for compressed MP3 or AAC audio files. I stream HD video to my Apple TV from iPhones and iPads using airplay. AAC music is a drop in the bucket compared to that. I would just use whatever is more convenient. For me that is always airplay or DLNA streaming. Plus using airplay you can control the music from anywhere in your house with your iPhone. That is especially useful if you have your receiver set up for 2 Zones. The only way I can see USB being more convenient is if you want to charge your device while it plays.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)