Is 3d dead?

So using that logic one would assume that you would be glad if color and HD went away from movies and tv as well?
Im sorry if I am coming across as pushy, just curious.

No. Some of the best movies and TV shows are in Color , Black and White, SD and HDTV. Color added something to the viewing experience. So did HD. 3D is not natural, at least the way they do it. For me it's the "convergence/focus" issue. And the loss of brightness and color saturation really degrade the experience. It's not going to last. I guarantee it.

You guys are making innacurate comparisons. We knew color was the future, and later we knew the future was HD, but we do not know if 3D will be the future. Market demand drew technology towards color and later HD, while the same demand does not exist for 3D. Everyone had access to color and to HD as both came OTA, while most do not have access to 3D.

You guys are making innacurate comparisons. We knew color was the future, and later we knew the future was HD, but we do not know if 3D will be the future. Market demand drew technology towards color and later HD, while the same demand does not exist for 3D. Everyone had access to color and to HD as both came OTA, while most do not have access to 3D.

Trust Me. 3D as it is now is not the future.

No. Some of the best movies and TV shows are in Color , Black and White, SD and HDTV. Color added something to the viewing experience. So did HD. 3D is not natural, at least the way they do it. For me it's the "convergence/focus" issue. And the loss of brightness and color saturation really degrade the experience. It's not going to last. I guarantee it.
You do not have 3D "eyes" some don't, 3D will be here in one form or another. Color sucked back when it replaced Black & White and it took awhile before it was right ... A 3D movie, conceived setup & filmed in 3D is hard to beat.

You do not have 3D "eyes" some don't, 3D will be here in one form or another. Color sucked back when it replaced Black & White and it took awhile before it was right ... A 3D movie, conceived setup & filmed in 3D is hard to beat.
That's another problem of 3D. The Movie has to be conceived around the 3D. 3D is also not working in Video Games either.

Why not? SD folks hated the fact that some had HDTV, this is the same thing only the hatred by the 2D folks is astounding!

I do not hate 3D. I like a "good" 3D movie. But, what I hate is when hollywood takes a 2D movie and makes it 3D to bump up the ticket price. This trend at least seems to be ending as consumers have finally caught on that some 3D is very fake.

This is along with what I posted. Yeah, I remember back when an HDTV was $10 grand, and only the very rich could afford them, but when HD became "mainstream" HD programing was available OTA, that's not the case with 3DTVs. 3DTVs may be a little more costly than a 2D set, but they're still with in reach of most consumers. The problem comes in having the CE industry trying to act like 3DTV is "mainstream" ready, but yet, 3D media is only offer as a on pay basis.

Also, wearing the glasses to view 3D is perceived by many as a big problem with 3DTV. Out of myself and 3 other male friends, all 4 of us wear eye glasses/contacts, 2 state they can't see 3D because of their eyes. (I can see it fine and loved Avatar). That 50% of my small group, but that 50% won't waste their money on a 3D movie let alone a 3DTV.

I'm not against 3D. I think it will stay around, but it will be a long, long time before it's the norm, if ever.

Ghpr13:)

I'm not against 3D. I think it will stay around, but it will be a long, long time before it's the norm, if ever.

Ghpr13:)

I honestly dont think it will ever become the "norm" even if they get a viable glasses free alternative.
For me, it would be used occasionally for certain movies and sporting events.
I think it will become a feature that most sets offer, and most content will be compatible with 2D or 3D in the future.

All of that said, I enjoy it (have 2 3D sets) and hope that it sticks around.

If that's all you're saying then we agree! I think 3D will never become the norm, ever, as in what all people watch! Just like I think DD 5.1 audio will never become the norm, ever as in what people listen to. Ubiquitous, yes. These are special additional ways to be entertained by the story. I do think that every movie or program that is shot in 3D will be available in 3D by the distributors, good or bad "quality" and it will be our choice to select it on our TV's. Likewise all 2D programs will be able to be converted to 3D with a standard built in option in the set. Doesn't mean the quality of every movie will meet everyone's standards. That is a silly criteria anyway. Just means the technology will become commonplace and we will have a choice to view it in 3D or 2D for just about every program produced.

That's a good question about 3D. Do they want it to be mainstream? Didn't I read that they thought about only putting out only 3D movies in the future? I might be wrong about that. Can it survive just making the minority who like it happy?

That's a good question about 3D. Do they want it to be mainstream? Didn't I read that they thought about only putting out only 3D movies in the future? I might be wrong about that. Can it survive just making the minority who like it happy?

It has to start with the production companies who take their cue from the box office. The last numbers I saw were from Regal's stock holder report ( BTW- I bought a few hundred shares of Regal for the dividend about a year and a half ago) They claim their 2010 profits were greatly improved from the revenue gained by imax 3D. It's what took them over the top. Had they not had the 3D & IMAX draw for new audience attendance ticket premium, they would have been flat for the year, plus been forced to raise ticket prices for regular 2D. By having the additional profits in IMAX 3D they not only stabilized prices but were able to increase their annual dividend plus pay a special dividend at the end of the year. Will this continue? Have to wait for the final report and see how it stacks up. Analysts reports are all over the political spectrum and mostly they have been under estimated industry wide so I'll just wait to see what the actual figures are. So, the bottom line appears that as long as there are people like me who are willing to pay the extra $4 a ticket whereas, prior to 3D, I hardly ever went to the theater, we'll have the monetary incentive to continue the supply to meet that demand. I don't think this shows they only want to do 3D in the future, but rather they will allocate the % of 3D based on the % of attendance demand.

It's not just the movies for some of us, it's programming that 3D gives extra enjoyment to...

I believe that's the crux of the issue, the availability of enough, relevant 3D programming.

My Sony 1080p LCD is 4 years old and not 3D capable. I hope it lasts me another few years because, due to the lack of 3D programming, I'm not rushing out to by another set. When the time comes, the new set I purchase will most likely be 3D capable and I'll evaluate the technology and available programming then...

3d Lives.

Is 3d dead. Certainly not, the original article just means that Sony thinks they no longer have to artificially support 3d at the movies.

And 3d at home is definitely beginning to move. Disney got it right this time by moving quickly to make almost all there 3d titles available as well as converting some of its older titles.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)