Is alacart even feasable?

You are fooling yourself.

No, i'm dreaming!:D But, i do have the means to capture all the cable networks S2 satellite signals in north america. All in HD. Not, downrezzed HDlite.The problem is they won't give us the ability to subscribe. So, we just wait until some guy turns off the encryption switch and we get to watch. It really is an eye opener on how bad pizza HD has gotten. Serious!

No, i'm dreaming!:D But, i do have the means to capture all the cable networks S2 satellite signals in north america. All in HD. Not, downrezzed HDlite.The problem is they won't give us the ability to subscribe. So, we just wait until some guy turns off the encryption switch and we get to watch. It really is an eye opener on how bad pizza HD has gotten. Serious!
Most of the HD networks are not even on Satellite, a lot of them are only available via fiber. :(

BTW Gary B. ,Shawn Kenny & I were friends back then. I got into it before HBO was scrambled. Does that give an idea how long I've been playing w/it?
I was good friends with Gary B, and worked with him to form the Tech Talk Network and put the shows online on the Tech Talk Network Cybergeek Gateway. I was a regular on Garys show for years.

Man I miss those day and I miss Gary too. RIP my friend!

I was good friends with Gary B, and worked with him to form the Tech Talk Network and put the shows online on the Tech Talk Network Cybergeek Gateway. I was a regular on Garys show for years.

Mr. Blinkie IN the nicest way. Don't think he could see much further than a couple feet in front of his face. With lenses the thickness of coke bottles. Great guy.:rip:We miss you.

What many forget is back in the early days, Dish offered an a la carte package called Dish Pix. Pick any 10 channels you want (with some limitations of course) for $15/month, and $1.50 per channel/month for any additional channels you wanted.

actually it was 10 channels for $10..the only channel not allowed was Disney which was $10 for itself at the time. Still have a document for that. Here were the options at the time
A&E, Cartoon, CNBC, CNN, CNNI, CNN FN, Comedy, CMT, Court TV, C-Span, DIscovery, E!, ESPN, ESPN2, EWTN, Family Channel, CNN HN, History, HGTV, HSN, KTLA, Learning, Lifetime, MTV, Nashville Network (Spike), Nick, QVC, Sci-Fi, TBN, TBS, TNT, Travel, TCM, Food, USA, VH1, Weather, WGN, WPIX

If those were the only options yeah I could easily do that 10 for 10

Wow, i wasn't aware of that. I didn't get into until '94. And it was NPS, Turner and maybe a couple others who were in control and how did they manage to weasle there way into the game? Did HBO and others not want to deal with it any longer?

Companies like NPS saw money to be made and took over back end operations. The programmers were glad to get out of it and hand over the keys.

I think you mis-understood. I wasn't refering to local networks or ABC,NBC,ect.....I was talking about cable channels like ESPN, Disney, HBO, Max, Showtime, ect.....

This is a fact, master cable feeds in HD & SD open from time to time. 1 minute of watching them and you see the big difference in picture quality between them and any pizza versions, HD or SD. It's truly amazing the difference. But if you don't have the boxes and a C band dish you think what your getting on a small dish is great, but truly it's not. :(

Last edited:

I never missed FNL. it was great. If I wasn't there to listen live I used to tape them with a Hi Fi VCR and listen to th playback later. Gary is missed, the man was an icon in the satellite industry. Still may have a few of those shows on tape floating around here someplace.

Mr. Blinkie IN the nicest way. Don't think he could see much further than a couple feet in front of his face. With lenses the thickness of coke bottles. Great guy.:rip:We miss you.

A look back...
The Talk Network
The Talk Network

Did you know that FNL was one of the first (if not THE first) radio show to be broadcast LIVE on the internet!?!

When I first started doing it, it took 6 hours to encode a 1 hour show. :) Those were the days!

Dish did offer a "sort of" a la carte package/setup a couple of years ago, then dumped it. It was the DishNOW! prepaid setup. You could order by the day, with what you wanted. And the amount time you wanted it. It wasn't perfect(no locals/HD/RSN's), but the "day by day" ordering was awesome.

If you work all week, and don't watch much, if any, tv, then you could order channels(packages, or indivdual channels of HBO/Showtime/Cinemax/Starz) for the weekend only, and have them gone by Monday for like $5(depending on what, and how much you ordered).

It was great, and customer friendly. Which is the reason why it is gone.:) ;)

I don't belive the DishNOW program was technically a la carte. You could pay it month-to-month but you were not able to pick what separate channels you wanted.

I don't belive the DishNOW program was technically a la carte. You could pay it month-to-month but you were not able to pick what separate channels you wanted.

Well, like I said "sort of". :)

But I ask anyone to show me a setup, at the cost of $105(with tax), that you could order any of the America's Top whatever by THE DAY(the month to month thing did not come about until Oct. 2009. Up until then, Day by Day ordering was available. I had it that way for well over 2 years), or one of the premiums(HBO/Showtime/Starz/Cinemax) BY THEMSELVES/DAY BY DAY(NO prequisite of America's top packages/Spanish packages neccessary), or order certain foreign language channels BY THEMSELVES/DAY BY DAY.

I have never seen before, or again most likely, that setup/scenario.

And don't tell me about C-Band. The initial startup/setup cost is tremendous compared to figures I gave you. If you want to learn all about this old type of setup, read this thread here:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/187074-dish-network-flextv-questions.html

And here: http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/123868-dish-network-prepaid-question.html Especially this one, since I explain in posts #4/#5 how it works.

A la Carte's major flaw is that there is no mechanism for development of new material.

You get a paultry sum for the programming you produce (buyers want the cheapest prices possible) and have little or no money to experiment with new ideas.

This is the strength of the current system, a constant flow of cash that gives developers flexibility to experiment with new programming.

If they fail to produce new popular programming, their revenue stream starts to suffer and they either adjust or die.

Single channel selection is too weak a method for program development to survive - it has already died once.

But, should it not be survival of the fittest? IE, ESPN is not likely to be supplanted by another sports network.. They should get the lions share because they are the most desired animal out there.

Directv Phase I dish with Dish Network 4000 receiver?

dish mount adopter

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)