• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vurbano

On Double Secret Probation
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 1, 2004
Newport News, VA
Is Bose a rip off? Worth the money? Can you build a better system and cheaper using speakers from other parties?

Last edited:
I voted yes, but I must exclude a couple of items. I love my Bose iPod SoundDock and I absolutely could not live without my QC2 Noise Cancelling Headphones.

I will give them credit for the noise canceling head phones. They are the best I've ever tried, but I don't own a pair. I think those are worth the money, but most anything else is overpriced. Like its been pointed out before, its the marketing that you're paying for.

Sorry, I had to be the first and only "NO" Hee is my point

If you want small inconspicius speakers easy to use and setup, and have a weird shaped room and price doesnt matter Then I recomend the lifestyle series only. You can do some cool stuff with the Lifestyle 38 and 28. I do NOT recommend the AM or SERIES X01 if you are somewhat knowledgeable or plan to be in Home Theater.

korsjs said:
any bose retailer.:)
I dont see how we would know. IMO all retailers should have to announce them selves in their usernames and not troll in disguise. For instance I have no clue whether or not VE sells Bose. And its really not the forum members responsibility to investigate it.

Wow! Twice as much? Why would you do that? Even if you think Bose is a great product at at good price you have to be kidding if you think that it is worth twice what it is priced at (which is already high). It is hard for anyone to take you seriously if you make stupid comments like that.

I don't know if this is a ripoff, but I do believe you can buy better speakers for the money.
This company seems to be spending tons of money on advertisements and someone has to pay for that. ;)

lakebum431 said:
Wow! Twice as much? Why would you do that? Even if you think Bose is a great product at at good price you have to be kidding if you think that it is worth twice what it is priced at (which is already high). It is hard for anyone to take you seriously if you make stupid comments like that.
He works for bose. Which means you cant take anything he says seriously.

83% say its a rippoff. And then theres the 8 other voters. 1 a retailer, 2 deaf, and 5 in denial. LOL just joking.

It depends as to what you are buying and what you are paying. My parents bought last winter a bose stereo w/ cd player. They bought it from someone selling reconditioned bose materials....at first there was something wrong with it but then after having it fixed (no cost to them) it worked fine.

In terms of the overall sound quality in terms of what it sounds like the commerical is true. It is as big as a loaf of bread but sounds like full speakers. Best of all since it's more in terms of a direction the sound isn't bouncing off the walls. In other words you could be behind it and not hear it nearly as much as a conventional one.

In terms of the radio portion of it I think it's lacking for reception. DX'ing on the thing is nearly impossible etc. If this could be hooked up to a better antenna then it could be better. But the inputs on it sort of don't make sense...it's hard to explain but it looks like they are blocked when you plug in the cd portion to the main one.

If someone combined it with xm or sirus I think it would really be excellent.

I think some of these could be well suited towards other things like apartments where you don't want to use a ton of power for music and don't want others to hear it.

mdovell said:
It depends as to what you are buying and what you are paying. My parents bought last winter a bose stereo w/ cd player. They bought it from someone selling reconditioned bose materials....at first there was something wrong with it but then after having it fixed (no cost to them) it worked fine.

In terms of the overall sound quality in terms of what it sounds like the commerical is true. It is as big as a loaf of bread but sounds like full speakers. Best of all since it's more in terms of a direction the sound isn't bouncing off the walls. In other words you could be behind it and not hear it nearly as much as a conventional one.

In terms of the radio portion of it I think it's lacking for reception. DX'ing on the thing is nearly impossible etc. If this could be hooked up to a better antenna then it could be better. But the inputs on it sort of don't make sense...it's hard to explain but it looks like they are blocked when you plug in the cd portion to the main one.

If someone combined it with xm or sirus I think it would really be excellent.

I think some of these could be well suited towards other things like apartments where you don't want to use a ton of power for music and don't want others to hear it.
Would you buy a set of Bose speakers that simply cannot produce entire ranges of frequencies that speakers 1/2 the price can?

am15freqa.jpg

I really had home theater speakers in mind when I started this thread. Not the ridiculously priced radio/cd crap.

If there was some competition against Bose then their pricing might get more inline unless there is competition that I do not know about and the thread starter is probably trying to find out what that competition is. If money is no object then Bose is probably the way to go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)