Is Direct TV's DVR tht much different from Dish's?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
"TruTV'.. Now theres something I need, Cops reruns and that fat ugly skank on Repo in HD. Oh and lets not forget that wackjob Jesse Ventura and the tools on Rehab. This is a channel that could easily go the way of G4."

TruTV will not be going away without a fight as being part if the Turner family in March it will part of the CBS-Turner contract to show games from the NCAA Mens basketball tournament. So that will become a plus.

Yup, more sneaky crap to keep fluff channels relevant. Just like the way SyFy (which has also been circling the drain since NBC got their mitts on it) dragged WWE onboard to pad their ratings and make them a 'must carry' type channel. It's not a plus, it's nothing more than shell game trickery to avoid getting the axe. There hasn't been anything worth watching on that channel since Sliders was cancelled. Well, maybe Taken and Tin Man were the last good things, but those were miniseries not serials, and there's been YEARS between good offerings.

Last edited:
First of all, Comcast SUCKS. No matter where you are, they suck.

OK, whatever you say - even though I'm guessing you have NEVER even been here before, so of course you KNOW this about OUR particular system... :rolleyes:

In Springfield, they offer a whopping 51 (that's FIFTY ONE) HD channels, including exactly ONE of your so-called 'staple' channels: AMC. Not as SINGLE other one that you are whining about. (So what was that about a 'safe bet'?)

You obviously didn't read what I said too closely (what a surprise...)

First of all, they DO NOW have more than 51 HD's! (I'm guessing you're looking at their website, which has not been updated yet - & which you're beloved D* has the SAME problem) They already added 15 MORE HD channels last month (yes, ABOVE those other 51) & I'm SURE sometime after tomorrow, more will be on the way - WAY sooner than D* will ever be adding more.
My "safe bet" statement was obviously due to that they have not announced what's being added - but guess what, they did NOT announce the last 15 new ones - but the point is, THEY DID ACTUALLY ADD SOMETHING MEANINGFUL, so I don't give a $hit that they did NOT formally announce it. It's THERE, & at this point, that's ALL I care about!
And I did NOT say I was DEFINITELY switching to them - actually the thought of dealing with them make me ill. But, I ALREADY have to deal with them on the internet & have limited service already, so again, I'm just now "window shopping"...

Look, if you are THAT satisfied with D* as status quo, then bully for YOU! If having things like MRV, On-Demand garbage (yea, I'm sure their "on-demand" stuff are "staples") & 40 HD PPV channels are your thing, then great - enjoy it! At this point, the HD content I want is more important than these "bells & whistles", that actually most folks (that are NOT on this board) could care less about.
I've been a D* sub for almost since they came on the air, & while I have always touted them as being the superior service, they are starting to fall from grace for me now - sorry if you find this SO personally offending... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
as someone that recently switched i can say this
you will easily learn the directv dvr

the best feature i have found is this one
if your tune into a movie after its started, but want to record the whole thing you can go into info and see when its coming on again
no need to search its right there
the info on d* is much more expansive then dish.
see an actor in the movie and want to see if anything else theya re in is coming on, no problem

i much prefer the d* unit over the dish one after a couple of months of use

i dont really miss any of the hd channels i supposedly lost, since i never watched many of them anyway.

do research and see if the cahnnels you watch are available, everyone prefers diff ones, and thats a debate i dont want to enter

oh and the mrv rocks :)

Allot of folks who have one service over another tout the service they have.

Yep, that's pretty obvious here - some people take it SO personally, like you insulted their mother or something... IT'S ONLY TV

I have both. Both have their strengths and weakness.

Probably one of the most sensible posts I've read recently - thank you.
And actually, I DO have both as well, along with CC & an OTA antenna. (just limited pkgs on the other 2 services)
And, I have absolutely NO problem pointing these differences out to potential clients...

Both are excellent services..

Hmm, not sure if I'd say that today - maybe they are GOOD services & it also depends on your local alternatives.
Regardless of what some people think, there ARE many wireline providers that are very competitive with DBS - again, depends on your area.

Last edited:
Key differences:
  • Outboard drive support on DIRECTV HD DVRs seems like an afterthought. Drives cannot be shared and hooking up a new drive requires setting up all recurring recording preferences from scratch. Recorded programs cannot readily be moved between drives. Only one drive can be active at a time and changing drives requires a reboot.
  • DISH includes an OTA tuner in most models (a two tuner module is required for the ViP722K and ViP922) while DIRECTV requires an external (but tidily implemented) box for pretty much any unit you might get today. The MAJOR drawback to the DIRECTV's OTA implementation is that it inexplicably doesn't search for available channels!
  • DIRECTV HD DVRs can support multi-room viewing for an additional monthly charge per household.
  • All but DIRECTV's latest (fifth generation HR24) models are sluggish performers while all DISH Network's models perform pretty well; you won't know what you'll get until you get it. They are still cycling in refurbished second generation HD DVRs (HR21) in first-time installations (as of last week).
  • DIRECTV doesn't allow you to maintain your DVR remotely; you can request that it schedule a recording via the internet but there is no feedback. A network connection is NOT required (nor supported) for DIRECTV's remote programming. This is as compared with DISH Network's remote programming where, if your HD DVR is connected to the Internet, you can review your current schedule and list of programs on the DVR (including what's on an active external hard drive) and delete recorded content.
  • DIRECTV HD DVRs have an arbitrary limit of 50 recurring programs (Series Links) that can be scheduled.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)