Is DISH Net worth it?

dendavis

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 10, 2003
Metro Denver
Been lurking here a bit, trying to see if there is a "global" assessment of DISH Net service. Been with U-Verse Internet for several years, not totally enamored of ATT. Was hoping a direct satellite feed for the Internet signal might avoid the slow downs and occasional land-line outages. Price seems to be basically competitive. So, any thoughts or advice? I am aware of the usage limits, we are not that prolific on our use, so don't think we would bump up against the number. And we have DISH Hopper service, been DISH customers since 1995. Thanks for any help.

From an installer point of view sat internet should be a last resort.

However I'd never tell you that once there to install it. No install is no $$.

The list of VARS is growing, PNG and WalMart are bundling now too. DirecTV and PNG - among others - are bundling now too. This adds what I feel is an unnecessary layer of "tech support". It's more of a buffer really, that only serves to delay when they're presented with a challenging issue (which eventually gets escalated to Exede or HughesNet). Personally, I'd cut out the reseller and buy the satellite service of your choice from a local dealer/installer. That way you already know the guy on the other end of the phone when you call in an issue.

//greg//

Well, it is irrelevant anyway. I had PM'd a DIRT member, since I hate talking to CSRs, about DISH Net. Was given many of the answers, but was advised to call DISH to talk to a DISH Net-specific rep. First number I called got me someone who only could give me prices for the various levels of service. Was transferred over to DISH Net sales, was told "the app which lets us look up if you can be served is down, please call back in fifteen to eighteen hours." Decided to try a live chat thirty-six hours later. Was then told "no local providers have responded to your request for service." Huh?

Since DISH market this service with a very broad brush, one would hope they would be a little more forthcoming about where they serve. We live in the greater Los Angeles-Orange County metro area. Currently have ATT U-Verse, phone and Internet only. Do not like ATT service, slow, overloaded too many times. Spouse will not allow TWC into the house, they have the local cable franchise. Currently trying Clear wireless, seems okay.

Some zip codes are blacked out for dishNet because they want to keep availability open for the rural areas of the market. Also, depending on the market there may be restrictions for what contractor or retailer can install in that area.
DishNet is pretty good for casual internet users. If your playing games that require quick reflexes, the ping delay is horrible. DishNet not support VPNs officially. This may be a problem if you work from home. Or if you stream a lot of video, you may hit the data cap. If none of these apply, dishNet would probably be great for you. But the ping delay is nearly a full second for dishNet. For U-verse, it could be as low as 20 milliseconds. People usually hate this delay and it is the source of complaints that it is slow even though their download and upload speeds are great.

Some zip codes are blacked out for dishNet because they want to keep availability open for the rural areas of the market. Also, depending on the market there may be restrictions for what contractor or retailer can install in that area.
Can't tell if you're assuming, or if that's the spin the dealer/installer community is getting from Dish. In reality, they're not saving anything for anybody. The resell both HughesNet and Exede, based upon customer preference. When one is blacked out in an area, they try to push the other. Once both Hughes and Exede black out a ZIP code, DishNet can no longer get server space via beam(s) covering that ZIP code. Until then, it's full throttle sell. //greg//

DishNet is pretty good for casual internet users. If your playing games that require quick reflexes, the ping delay is horrible. DishNet not support VPNs officially. This may be a problem if you work from home. Or if you stream a lot of video, you may hit the data cap. If none of these apply, dishNet would probably be great for you. But the ping delay is nearly a full second for dishNet. For U-verse, it could be as low as 20 milliseconds. People usually hate this delay and it is the source of complaints that it is slow even though their download and upload speeds are great.

Thanks for the response. We don't do online interactive games, nor do we work from home. Mainly Web surfing and e-mails. Our issue is the inconsistent availability of U-Verse, so mainly looking for options.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts