Is DLP on the way out

I see your point but you also state that you only keep your TV's for about 5 years. The price of the set and one light bulb will still be much less than a good LCP or plasma. I have had my DLP for 2 years and have not replaced the bulb yet and the picture still looks great. If you are only going to keep the TV for the 5 year period you would probably spend less on the DLP and bulbs. I guess I like to be a little more frugal with my money.
How much is a 42 inch DLP,or Rear LCD? Bestbuy sells a 50", as the smallest.

Let me know when they make a DLP that doesn't require bulb replacement.
I believe that Samsung and perhaps some other manufacturers offer LED lighting.

Of course you didn't ask about what the average life of a LCD backlight is and how much it costs to replace.

I am not sure if you can buy a DLP under 50" anymore.
DLP's window of price competitiveness has closed. LCoS is disappearing fast too. Both technologies are destined to be a front projector exclusive.

It really is all about flat panel technologies in the home.

I believe that Samsung and perhaps some other manufacturers offer LED lighting.

Of course you didn't ask about what the average life of a LCD backlight is and how much it costs to replace.
Yea its 60,000 Hours, I don't half to ask. I have a desktop computer with a 17 inch LCD thats never shut off. Bought it in 2004. Still works!

How much is a 42 inch DLP,or Rear LCD? Bestbuy sells a 50", as the smallest.

Sony has a 37" LCD projection Bravia. I don't have the numbers on it but you can buy it at a B.B. or hhgregg for about $700. It is 720p.

Sony has a 37" LCD projection Bravia. I don't have the numbers on it but you can buy it at a B.B. or hhgregg for about $700. It is 720p.
I've gotta tell you I haven't found one Sony Rear Projection from Bestbuy or SonyStyle. Is Sony done making Rear Projections? I found 2 on Circuit citys website. But they are last years models.

I have a desktop computer with a 17 inch LCD thats never shut off. Bought it in 2004. Still works!

Never goes into power save? I have seen many LCD monitors that have pixels go bad. That drives me nuts and many of the manufactures don't replace or fix them for one or two bad pixels.

Never goes into power save?
I never shut it OFF,Standby ,or Hibernate! It gets restarted twice a week. The screen saver is a photo album. My Tv is on about 8 hours a day. With a stay at home Mom and 2 Children. The computer screen is on fully for 12 hours a day 6 days a week. Its my office computer! I've never lost a pixel,or know anyone who has on their LCD screens.

DLP's window of price competitiveness has closed. LCoS is disappearing fast too. Both technologies are destined to be a front projector exclusive.

It really is all about flat panel technologies in the home.

Not yet. The price gap hasn't closed that much. Especially for 60 plus inches.

And I know that my LCoS unit will be as good as new 10, maybe 20 years from now, with simple bulb replacements. LCDs and plasmas slowly decay. Plus, for LCDs, there's the backlights to consider. Some are replaceable, some aren't.

Of course, who are we kidding? 10 years from now, new display technologies will be so much better, and cheaper, we'll probably throw out what we own today.

I wonder in about 3-5 years will we be left with LCD and LED??

I heard Mitsubishi is going to be putting out laser, though I have no idea how it works.

75" plasmas are rumored for 2009. Of course they will probably cost a lot more than rear projection. But, I suspect they will be in the $5k range, 58" will be in the $2.5k range in 2009. They are building factories right and left.

The problem with rear projection is that it is hard to mark up a box of air a lot, so margins are getting crushed since everyone can buy the TI DLP chip.

LCD/Plasma are suffering too in small sizes. Manufacturers are abandoning the smaller sizes, constantly having to move up in size because margin disappears. At least with LCD/PLasma those first with the new factories that can build the large sizes have the advantage of lots of markup. This year plasma pretty much moves to 50"+ and LCD goes to 46"+ for the big manufacturers. Yeah they may have some models in the smaller sizes but they are consentrating on the larger ones for profit.

The problem with rear projection is that it is hard to mark up a box of air a lot, so margins are getting crushed since everyone can buy the TI DLP chip.
Actually, the problem is that TI doesn't have any unbridled competition. The DLP chips are very expensive (that's one reason they're still futzing with color wheels). LCoS chips are much cheaper so they can get away with using three chips.

I wonder in about 3-5 years will we be left with LCD and LED??

I heard Mitsubishi is going to be putting out laser, though I have no idea how it works.

Last year(Jan of 2007) when I was shopping for an lcd,(I ended up with a MITS 46231) I mentioned to the salesman that I would be in the market for a 60 inch or larger later in the year. This to replace the 60 in MITS I bought in 1999. He said hold off until Sep of 2007 when MITS would have new LASER televisions out. Sept. came-NO LASERS. I understand that MITS showed off lasers at the 2008 CES show. But when , if ever, will they be out? And by the time they come out , will lcds have affordable models in the 60 inch range? :confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)