is it me or is the R15 a total piece of-hello!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dewdude420

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2006
Manassas
Back...i don't remember when..sometime in May...i switched from Dishnet to DirecTV because I couldn't get HD with Dish and i wanted HD.

well...they came, did the install...said my view for 119 was nil and refused to do HD install (despite the fact the 99.3 switchover was gonna happen)....so, after waiting for a new workorder number, they did a standard install and i hooked up my R15.

now, i've kept quiet over this for a few months..but seriously...why did DTV release this POS?

I started out life with a DirecTV Tivo unit..then a DishDVR....both of those boxes were excellent....this thing...it's turned me from a DVR user into someone who absolutely hates his DVR. I started out with the annoying issue of it simply not recording programs to losing timers to losing the guide (yes, it lost the guide and recorded a hard disk full of "title not available"), it was at that point that i told the unit to do a complete total reset.

ok, so that got my guide data back...and i guess a couple of minor software upgrades made it so it records my programs all the time and won't stop recording if i flip to it mid program (it was fun finding out why all my simposns episodes were incomplete)...but now, i've got this problem that's SERIOUSLY got me wanting to drive to DTV headquarters, throw it on thier desk and scream "WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?"

Family Guy airs on several channels regularly....Fox on sundays, TBS during the week (never sure when), and every night on cartoon network..in my market, it airs on the local CW affilate every evening...now why does my dvr REFUSE to set a series timer for more than 1 channel? it doesn't matter which channel gets the timer programmed first, soon as i do that, it REFUSES to accept a series record for Family Guy on any other channel (hitting record twice brings up the R icon, but it disappears)

now the thing says all over "affects programs on this channel"...so why does it act like it's doing program based timers?

It's seirously gotten me angry. I used to LOVE my DVR...and this POS has made me actually hate it...it's made me not even care about a DVR...i don't even watch the 3 shows i do actually have programmed because it's just a reminder of how much i miss my tivo.

it takes FOREVER to stop rewinding (mostly due to the fact it takes forever to respond to remote commands) and on more than one occasion has taken up to a full minute to flip channels in live mode.

could it be I've got a bad box..or is this a standard thing across all R15's...

and is there anyway i can send this back and make DirecTV give me a REAL DVR...because i don't consider this excuse of engineering a DVR...

...i'm actually considering breaking my contract because of this...cutting down the trees and going back to dish.

I switched to a HD DVR, but not because of any problems. I had my R-15 for 18 months and I think it missed one or two recordings in that time, but there were no other issues with it.

I didn't like my R15, or my HR20 for that matter. But, as with E*, what they sell is what you use. So, I sent them back.:)
With a nice letter saying, " When you replace the retarded DVR's with TIVO based units, give me a call." I am in the process of paying my contract termination fee, one month at a time. I have the family package for 19.99 a month for a year while the time whittles. :cool: I don't even turn on the receiver anymore.

My R15 isn't a TiVo by any means but it dosen't display your problems either. I would suggest complaining to D* and trying to get a replacement.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)