Is Joey really necessary?

I don't believe a joey will work on a system without be activated thus you will still pay the $7 regardless if you own it or not.

Last time I went to swap one out and it downloaded and came up it said not activated so you have to activate it.

If I buy my own Joey (this would be Joey #2 on a 1 leased Hopper and 1 leased Joey system), is there any fee to turn Joey #2 off and on? When I call to have it turned on, does it happen immediately? Like, "hey, there's a game on that I want to watch on Joey #2, I'll call Dish and have it turned on to watch the game". Then, call them after the game is over (or the next day) and tell them to turn it off. Basically, 23 cents per day!

Maybe someone knows for sure, that last part about a one day charge I am not sure about. Could be a $7 charge once turned on? But there is no actual activate - deactivate charge.

If you have a spare PC, Joeys are not necessary. Read up on Dish Anywhere.

Yep, exactly what I'm doing. I actually have a Sling Box connected to my Hopper but it has ALWAYS been flakey! Yesterday, it worked on my work computer then not at home and now it won't work on my work computer. (Error: "There was a problem connecting to your DVR. (Error 2)" I'm considering upgrading to Hopper with Sling thinking that might solve my problem.

It sounds like a connection problem somewhere. I don't have any problems connecting to my Sling Adapter, Hopper w/Sling or my stand alone slingboxes from any device regardless of where I am.

Would you say the Hopper w/Sling will not operate any better than my Sling Adapter connected to my Hopper?

Personally, I don't notice a difference. The video quality to me is the same, the streaming speeds and the reliability. The HWS does have more power and is quicker to respond to commands when viewing. I would recommend the HWS just because its a faster box and is more powerful but in regards to Slinging, I don't think I would say one is better than the other. The built in Sling may last you longer than the Sling Adapter, soley for the fact that its built in and the cable can't be damaged and nothing can really happen to it.

Just found something interesting; I read on another post (from 2011 from a person with a 722k w/ Sling adapter) that he could get his to work by closing and reopening his browser. So, I tried a new window (I'm using Chrome) and it worked! I tend to keep a bunch of tabs open at all times in Chrome and maybe it was just too much! This seems to solve the problem on my work computer. Need to work on my home computer some more.

Official Current Deals Thread

Hopper with 2 joeys - Problems with Joeys after upgrade

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)