Is the 722k really this bad?

dsclark

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 13, 2005
We just got this box and it will not let us watch something live while recording something! Is this fixable? Even out 1st gen SD DISH pvr from 2001 let us do this, but this p.o.s box will not! It is like recording with a VCR!
The tech person said that we can watch something live if something else is recording ONLY if we go into the other room and watch it on another set (in SD) no less. WTF? This is our second full day with this $hitty system and they won't let us cancel.

Tiger, you got it backwards.

How is your receiver configured?

If you are in dual mode, you can watch only one satellite channel at a time, but you can watch OTA.

If you are in single mode, you can watch another satellite channel while recording a second satellite channel, plus you can record 2 OTA AND 2 SAT channels at the same time while watching a recorded program on TV1 output AND another TV program on output TV2.

The button to switch is behind the right door to the far right. You may get a warning that TV2 will be interrupted - go ahead -push the button. You may also want to put the receiver in shared view mode so output TV1 and output TV2 both see the same programming. In Single mode without shared view TV2 is blank.

AS you learn to use the 722k you will learn why it is the best/most advanced DVR anywhere.

As you see, true flexibility comes in single mode, dual mode it is more like having two seperate DVR's, one for each output but with a common recording base.

Work with it

We just got this box and it will not let us watch something live while recording something! Is this fixable? Even out 1st gen SD DISH pvr from 2001 let us do this, but this p.o.s box will not! It is like recording with a VCR!
The tech person said that we can watch something live if something else is recording ONLY if we go into the other room and watch it on another set (in SD) no less. WTF? This is our second full day with this $hitty system and they won't let us cancel.

Sounds like you are just having trouble with the new system. What did you have before this? I've had a 722k for a while and it is better than the 622 I had, so I'm not sure what the problem is you are having.

im really curious as to know what first pvr he had in 2001 that could record while watch live tv at the same time. i dont think the 721 or the 522 was out then was it?

721 was out around that time. I had 3 back then. They were dual tuner dvrs with pip and with no tv 2 output for independent tv viewing.

I was going to tell him about Record Plus in dual mode to TV2 but I've done it so many times, I can't do it again.;)

Can you read? This kind of diatribe from someone who doesn't read the manual is out of line.

Can you read? This kind of diatribe from someone who doesn't read the manual is out of line.

Hey, now. Yes, the solution to this problem is in the manual. But can you honestly tell me that you've NEVER been frustrated about a new piece of gear that doesn't do what you expected it to? Cut the poor guy some slack, offer a meaningful suggestion (like enable Record Plus), and then kindly refer to the manual.

Only thing out of line is your attitude. If you don't want to help the poster than don't, but here at SatelliteGuys we don't give people a hard time for asking a question. You should know that as long as you've been around here. If you want to make posts like this then you should head over to the "other" forum.

Single mode will allow you to record one show and watch another.
But you have to use the "Swap" function then, do you not ? Obviously he has a recording in progress and attempts to change channels, thinking it will be automatic .... and it won't be. He has to swap to the 2nd tuner and then change channels.

Being in dual mode and having Record Plus enabled and pointed at TV2 is much more user-friendly though, IMO.

But you have to use the "Swap" function then, do you not ? Obviously he has a recording in progress and attempts to change channels, thinking it will be automatic .... and it won't be. He has to swap to the 2nd tuner and then change channels.

Being in dual mode and having Record Plus enabled and pointed at TV2 is much more user-friendly though, IMO.

No - in single mode, it's all automatic. If you're in Single mode, have a recording in progress, and select a different channel, it will just change to the other tuner & to that channel. No "swap" button involved.

In Single mode, you don't have to be aware of tuners at all....unless, of course, you're already using both of them.

WTF? This is our second full day with this $hitty system and they won't let us cancel.
:eek: You can cancel, just pay an early termination fee if you have a contract.

That way the customer satisfaction levels for Dish will remain high.

Or you could get calm, and learn how to use it first. It's very simple. Read KAB's post. You have to keep in mind what tuner you are trying to access and what that tuner is currently doing. You have two sat tuners, so don't try to change the one that is recording and you'll be fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)