Is there a Gizmo to fix power suplies without replacing parts?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Cband55

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 14, 2008
I took the Pansat 9200 for repair, with the same Not powering on problem. but before going to the shop I marked all the capacitors and transformer with a black marker, I took it yesterday evening and they called to said it was ready at noon today, I asked what was the problem and they said the replaced several capacitor and other stuff, but when I got home the same marked capacitors where there. So I figure they did not replace anything, and just used some equipment to recalibarte parts.

I would like to know if fixing power supplies is easy and with just buying a couple of electronic repair gizmos and a solder kit I’m set. I have 10 STBs and its getting costly to send them in for repair.

Did you only mark the caps on the PSU or also on the main PCB? Many times the power supply is functioning fine, but a cap on the motherboard prevents the unit from booting.

Did you document the voltages on the ribbon cable connecting the PSU to the main PCB before the repair?

Did you check the fuse on the PSU?

Maybe they replaced them with used caps that had been marked by other people, when they sent in their receivers, lol.

The only important questions are: "Does it now work?"
And "Did they charge you an excessive fee for fixing it?"

There's also such a thing as "cold solder joints" (VERY common), and sometimes it's as simple as removing the old grainy bad solder, and re-soldering some of the connections. Though bad (or "gone bad") capacitors has been a common issue in all devices since capacitors were invented.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

trying to find what satellite this is?

Elusive NBCs on AMC1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)