Status
Please reply by conversation.

jmc98

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 11, 2005
32.750N 97.488W Fort worth Tx
Is this fixable if so how and is it worth fixing ?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Attachments

• 1410985386904.jpg
    1410985386904.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 270
Yup, looks like you need to call your local welding shop about the repair and make sure you specify that it's THIN GAGE ALUMINUM that needs to be welded. It is aluminum, right?

Take two pieces of flat metal strips, hold it where it needs to be and drill holes through on both sides and run a bolt and nut through.

Unless something is bent more than it looks I would drill a couple 1/16" (or smaller) holes through the ribs and take a little rebar tie wire to hold it together, then just put the mesh sections together. Once everything is all bolted up the unit structure will hold it together.

I've got a 10' dish up with MUCH more damage than that...and it works great.

Reactions: jmc98
Good idea Phlat.
or if wanting more support, I would use something like this, on that corner.
flat angle bracket.jpg

Drill small holes, don't want them too big. Something like 10-32 bolts.

Reactions: Cosmo Blatz
Good idea Phlat.
or if wanting more support, I would use something like this, on that corner.
View attachment 101422
Drill small holes, don't want them too big. Something like 10-32 bolts.

That's perfect ke4est. I'd suggest using two, one on top and another on the bottom (they usually come in 2-packs). For the other break, try making a support bracket out of aluminum stock. It doesn't have to be fancy or exact. Just something you can run bolts through for support. Put the support bracket on the underside of course. But you knew that. As you assemble the sections of the dish, put down a bead of silicone cement between the sections. The silicone will 'weld' everything together for life.

Before installing any support brackets, file down the high spots. Those broken joints look pretty ragged.

2014-09-17_16-47-20_zps22a21a4e.jpg

I'd do like Lone Gunman suggested and bring a panel by a local welding shop and ask them how much to tig weld it. If it's too much, then I'd do like Phlatwound and Ke4est suggested.

I wouldn't trust JB Weld. When you tighten down the panels I'd think that it'll probably just crack away on one side or the other of the break.

The welding shop will hate you if you JB Weld the piece first. It's hard to remove completely for welding, and what's left generates a horrible stench that's probably toxic.

Reactions: . Raine
Any bracket can help this to become stable. - Once the dish is assembled with the other pieces you will never notice the broken weld. It would only be an issue while it is disassembled like it is the the photo.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)