Is this Sony's Trojan Horse?

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
It is being widely reported that Sony will be introducing a new PS3 sku to the market for sell on October 30. This will be the 40GB PS3 with a new board, more power to the Bluetooth ports and the Wi-Fi port, only 2 USB ports (that is all you really need) and Spiderman3 on BluRay for $399.99. Just in time for the XMAS season. And you still get the 5 free BluRay movies with it!!

This package would sell very well and get folks started off right with 6 free BD movies. There is even some talk of the new Shock contollers being offered with this sku. This would offer a fully functioning BD player at $399 with 6 BD movies total to the end user. How could a new owner not know that the PS3 is also a BD player after this? And there are some very nice games coming out for it.

If I were to guess -- this model would be the Trojan Horse that everyone keeps saying the PS3 is supposed to be.

It is being widely reported that Sony will be introducing a new PS3 sku to the market for sell on October 30. This will be the 40GB PS3 with a new board, more power to the Bluetooth ports and the Wi-Fi port, only 2 USB ports (that is all you really need) and Spiderman3 on BluRay for $399.99. Just in time for the XMAS season. And you still get the 5 free BluRay movies with it!!

This package would sell very well and get folks started off right with 6 free BD movies. There is even some talk of the new Shock contollers being offered with this sku. This would offer a fully functioning BD player at $399 with 6 BD movies total to the end user. How could a new owner not know that the PS3 is also a BD player after this? And there are some very nice games coming out for it.

If I were to guess -- this model would be the Trojan Horse that everyone keeps saying the PS3 is supposed to be.

No - it sounds to me like the the format is dying and the hardware is on clearance as a result. :rolleyes:

To quote an old friend from back in April concerning the price drop for the HD DVD players -

I'm guess this is bad news for Blu-ray in the same sense that the Atari Jaguar selling for $99.99, than $79.99, then $49.99, them $19.99 at EB was bad for Playstation. The format is dying and the hardware in on clearance as a result.

You dont get the 5 free blu-rays, that promotion ended as of Sept 30th, at least according to the form I have on my desk to send it (purchase by 9/30 and send by 10/31)

No - it sounds to me like the the format is dying and the hardware is on clearance as a result. :rolleyes:

To quote an old friend from back in April concerning the price drop for the HD DVD players -

This is a new sku, a new board with only 2 usb ports on it, and new controllers (the new ones now have the vibration everyone likes) and this one will use less current. No, I think Sony is coming in for a landing this XMAS. We shall see if Sony get's cleared to land this baby right!:)

Now all they need is a couple of dozen good games that people will want to buy for the thing.

Halo 3 sold $175 million worth of software on day one..... How much did Warhawk bring in?

The PS3 was supposed to be the Thor's Hammer that would kill HD DVD. Instead it may kill the Playstation brand.

I wonder if there is no IR because of the BlueTooth?

As for Halo 3, it better have been big. M$ does not have many AAA titles crashing the scene before XMAS. Now lets see what Sony will bring to the market?

...If I were to guess -- this model would be the Trojan Horse that everyone keeps saying the PS3 is supposed to be.
No, the next model with no external ports but with a Blu-ray drive certainly, definitely will...

Diogen.

I wonder if there is no IR because of the BlueTooth?

As for Halo 3, it better have been big. M$ does not have many AAA titles crashing the scene before XMAS. Now lets see what Sony will bring to the market?

Halo 3
BioShock
PGR4
Mass Effect
The Orange Box
Ace Combat 6
Blue Dragon
Splinter Cell: Conviction

They would have had GTA4 too, but they had to delay it because the PS3 was taking too long to program.......

The only thing Sony is offering to their customers this holiday is another price drop (which does squat for the people WITH the console. Not sure there are really any system sellers coming before then.

Ooh, today is the 'big bang' announcement isn't it. Will it be more than 'hah, 40gb console with no BC for the US too!'

Some other notable releases for PS3:

Folklore (7.0 on Gamespot)
GH3 (PS2 will sell more copies, multi platform)
Rock Band (multi platform)
COD4 (multi platform)
Conan (multi platform)
Jericho (multi platform)
Assassin's Creed (multi platform)
Haze (exclusive)
Orange Box (2 months after PC/360 gamers have it)
Devil May Cry (multi platform, and the week AFTER Christmas?)

Some good titles there, but for people who already have a system, there really is so much coming out there's no reason for any momentum to swing toward the Playstation brand for Q4.

The only thing Sony is offering to their customers this holiday is another price drop (which does squat for the people WITH the console. Not sure there are really any system sellers coming before then.

Ooh, today is the 'big bang' announcement isn't it. Will it be more than 'hah, 40gb console with no BC for the US too!'

Some other notable releases for PS3:

Folklore (7.0 on Gamespot)
GH3 (PS2 will sell more copies, multi platform)
COD4 (multi platform)
Conan (multi platform)
Jericho (multi platform)
Assassin's Creed (multi platform)
Haze (exclusive)
Orange Box (2 months after PC/360 gamers have it)
Devil May Cry (multi platform, and the week AFTER Christmas?)

Some good titles there, but for people who already have a system, there really is so much coming out there's no reason for any momentum to swing toward the Playstation brand for Q4.

I think you left out a few exclusives like Ratchet & Clank and Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (maybe on purpose?)...

Here's a good list, although I don't think it's all inclusive - many of these are multi-platform, but not all...

IGN: The PS3 Games of Fall 2007

Any I left out either were omitted from the Gamespot list I was culling or I overlooked them is all. Even adding those, you think it even remotely compares to Bob's list?
Halo 3
BioShock
PGR4
Mass Effect
The Orange Box
Ace Combat 6
Blue Dragon
Splinter Cell: Conviction

Even the Wii with all of it's garbage titles coming out will probably have single titles that sell more than 2-3 of the PS3 exclusives combined (ie SMB Galaxy).

On an island by itself the IGN article is nice for PS3 fans, but in a more objective 'list of things coming out' something like Gamespot's release schedule is a little more sobering IMO. Pulling up the 360 fall 2007 article is like deja vu with few of the PS3 titles being exclusive.

New Video Games - New Game Releases - New Video Game Releases

PS3 fans really shouldn't be throwing stones about AAA titles not coming out for other systems having just lost something like Monster Rancher to the fad console. To their credit, all these multiplatform games are offering more of a consumer choice for a Next Gen console, but until much more work is done on Sony's site to further differentiate the titles on their system it won't get anyone to switch from an Xbox Live enabled title IMO, and sadly, it sounds like Home won't address this problem either.

I think you left out a few exclusives like Ratchet & Clank and Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (maybe on purpose?)...

Here's a good list, although I don't think it's all inclusive - many of these are multi-platform, but not all...

IGN: The PS3 Games of Fall 2007

Ratchet and Clank is like Banjo Kazooie (a 360 exclusive, I believe)... a nice title, but not the title that will get the 20-45 yr. olds excited.....

I never even heard of the other one......

I'm just shocked at how Sony has screwed up the Playstation brand here. 3rd party publishers are bailing (higher programming costs and lower sales are a REAL ominous combination), exclusives seem to go to the MS camp, and Wii will become extremely successful catering to the uber casual gamers...... I'm glad they are selling more as it grows the base, but Cooking Mama won't excite anyone except those who made Barbie: Horse Adventure a hit (and kept it a hot used title at Gamestop .....)

To be fair, I wasn't throwing stones about any other system's lack of titles, only pointing out that the PS3 has some good one's coming out, too. I agree that it still has some room to go, and there isn't enough for someone to dump their 360 for a PS3, but that's not really the argument, is it?

The vast majority of new system sales are not going to be someone switching from one next-gen platform to another. For the most part, if you have one or the other, you've already made your bed, so to speak. I'm simply pointing out that it's no longer as lopsided as it once was - not that long ago, many of the multi-platform games weren't even available on PS3, and I think that it's now more a question of which platform you prefer, because both will have an ample supply of games going forward...

6-8 months ago, if you wanted a lot of good games, you pretty much had to buy a 360.

Ratchet and Clank is like Banjo Kazooie (a 360 exclusive, I believe)... a nice title, but not the title that will get the 20-45 yr. olds excited.....

I never even heard of the other one......

I'm just shocked at how Sony has screwed up the Playstation brand here. 3rd party publishers are bailing (higher programming costs and lower sales are a REAL ominous combination), exclusives seem to go to the MS camp, and Wii will become extremely successful catering to the uber casual gamers...... I'm glad they are selling more as it grows the base, but Cooking Mama won't excite anyone except those who made Barbie: Horse Adventure a hit (and kept it a hot used title at Gamestop .....)

Just because you've never played them or heard of them doesn't mean they're not important. Ratchet (Banjo Kazooie? Are you serious?!?) has got plenty of 20-45 year olds excited, myself included, and Uncharted might be the most anticipated PS3 game of the year, exclusive or not.

At one time there were a lot of complaints about the PS2 being hard/expensive to program for, too...

I switched to a PS3 from my 360... and dont regret it at all... I was sick of hardware issues with my 360, and i have had zero issues in the 3 months since i got it.

I switched to a PS3 from my 360... and dont regret it at all... I was sick of hardware issues with my 360, and i have had zero issues in the 3 months since i got it.

Oh, come on! I thought Microsoft "made it all better" by giving you a warranty! ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts