Isolated Hopper

Yes, they are all terminated.

Just found another issue, I can no longer access Hopper 2 (the isolated one) remotely using Dish Anywhere.
Seems like the isolator is not the solution I was looking for.

So, How can I get my setup to work like I want?
What I would like is for Hopper 1 to be connected to my network wirelessly with it's own IP address and accessible through Dish Anywhere , Hopper 2 connected to my network by cable with it's own IP address and accessible through Dish Anywhere. The two Joeys should connect to Hopper 1 by MOCA for programming access.
Main things I am trying to achieve are separate IP's for the Hoppers to prevent streaming conflicts and remote accessibility for both via Dias Anywhere.
It does not seem like this should be hard to do but we just can't seem to get it to work.

Any suggestions?

That is how it was set up in the beginning. Things got changed when I lost the ability to see both Hoppers via Dish Anywhere. The solution we (Dish Broadband Support and I) came up with was to connect both Hoppers to the network. Unfortunately, that started all the other issues.

Tired of partial solutions, I completely rewired my system last night following the recommended Dish wiring diagram. I removed all connections from the Duo Node including old unused cables from when I had 4 Joeys. I now have each Hopper on a host port (as they were), both Joeys on a client port using a Dish supplied splitter with the second client port terminated. Disabled the wireless on Hopper 1, removed the isolator from Hopper 2 leaving it hardwired to my router, and made sure bridging was enabled on both Hoppers. Powered down all units and powered them up in my preferred networking order (Hopper 2, Hopper 1, Joey 1, and Joey 2). Hopper 2 got a good network connection and good MOCA. Hopper 1 got a good network connection through Hopper 2 and good MOCA. Both Joeys got good network and good MOCA linked to Hopper 2. Both Hoppers are now accessible through Dish Anywhere. Not sure if this will fix the Netflix buffering issue but if it doesn't, I have three other ways to watch it in my den without using Hopper 2.

I am curious about one thing though.
Could I remove the splitter from the setup and connect each Joey to a client node and still have them both link to Hopper 1 or would one try to connect to Hopper 2? Are the client ports tied to a host port or is it all software based?

Thanks to everyone who chipped in and helped me work through this.

That is how it was set up in the beginning. Things got changed when I lost the ability to see both Hoppers via Dish Anywhere. The solution we (Dish Broadband Support and I) came up with was to connect both Hoppers to the network. Unfortunately, that started all the other issues.

Tired of partial solutions, I completely rewired my system last night following the recommended Dish wiring diagram. I removed all connections from the Duo Node including old unused cables from when I had 4 Joeys. I now have each Hopper on a host port (as they were), both Joeys on a client port using a Dish supplied splitter with the second client port terminated. Disabled the wireless on Hopper 1, removed the isolator from Hopper 2 leaving it hardwired to my router, and made sure bridging was enabled on both Hoppers. Powered down all units and powered them up in my preferred networking order (Hopper 2, Hopper 1, Joey 1, and Joey 2). Hopper 2 got a good network connection and good MOCA. Hopper 1 got a good network connection through Hopper 2 and good MOCA. Both Joeys got good network and good MOCA linked to Hopper 2. Both Hoppers are now accessible through Dish Anywhere. Not sure if this will fix the Netflix buffering issue but if it doesn't, I have three other ways to watch it in my den without using Hopper 2.

Could I remove the splitter from the setup and connect each Joey to a client node and still have them both link to Hopper 1 or would one try to connect to Hopper 2? Are the client ports tied to a host port or is it all software based?

I only have one Joey 1 and two Wireless Joeys and they are all linked to one out of my three HWSs and everything works fine. I would think both your Joeys should link up with no issues to your Hopper 1 or Hopper 2. Why not just try it out if possible by removing your splitter and connecting each Joey to the client ports on your Duo Node and see if you can do any linked combination you wish to do?

I will try it at some point but with things now working I am a bit reluctant to switch things out and possible mess things up again. It sounds like a good project ofr a day my wife it out of town so if I do mess things up I have time to fix them before she misses out on any of her shows.

I will try it at some point but with things now working I am a bit reluctant to switch things out and possible mess things up again. It sounds like a good project ofr a day my wife it out of town so if I do mess things up I have time to fix them before she misses out on any of her shows.
OK, I truly understand your situation. :coco I am glad you got everything working now. I bet your issue was caused by your one Hopper connected by Wireless and the other Hopper by Ethernet. Turning off Wireless can be tricky sometimes.

It was but I just put in a false SSID and password. It still tried to connect but when it failed it went over to MOCA like it should. I am hoping that since the originating network connection is hardwired now it might solve some of my buffering issues.

It was but I just put in a false SSID and password. It still tried to connect but when it failed it went over to MOCA like it should. I am hoping that since the originating network connection is hardwired now it might solve some of my buffering issues.
Yep, that is the way to get the wireless cancelled. There has been lots of confusion on how to turn off the wireless connection. Would be nice if there was an off button for wireless. Hope it helps your buffering issues too.

Is there a good reason that the Joeys are connected to a splitter instead of one to each of the client ports and the other unused? I have 2 HWS & 3 Joeys and the HWS are connected to the host ports and the Joeys are connected 1 to one client port and 2 on a splitter off the second client port. I have had it this way for over 2 years with no issues. Only 1 HWS connected to Ethernet and all others bridged with no issues. I am able to see both HWS on Dish Anywhere.

I agree with KAB, doesn't sound right.

The client ports are not tied to either host port.

So yes, you can remove the splitter and connect the cables directly to the 2 client ports.

Had a little time this weekend so I removed the splitter and put each Joey on its own Client Port. Reset the Hopper I want them to connect to and everything is working as it should. Had both Hoppers streaming this weekend also and there was a marked improvement in the quality on both units. I think things are as good as I can expect at this point.
Thanks again to everyone for their input.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)