It was Good then Not so Good to know ya!

Spike

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 11, 2005
Suburbs of Milwaukee
I have been fighting to just keep the system up and running for the last 2 and a half months with my Charter Television channels. I was missing 29 Channels for the most of that time. It got so bad that I phoned Directv and they will be here Thursday to do the install. I'm really disappointed in Charter though. It started out to be a very good experience, the number of channels was good, the reception was good. But then, one day they must have done something either in updating their software or done something to the line coming into my home, because when it went bad, it really went down hill fast and never recovered. I had charter tech support in my home no less than 5 times. And even at that, I was still fighting with the signal every single day just to try to get those channels I lost back. In the end, I was so fed up that now, I'm glad I'm leaving. Their internet service has been very good. But their television service leaves a lot to be desired, at least in this house anyway. So long Charter, it was good and then not so good to know ya! If you see a flash, it's me running for the door!!!

I'm right there with you brother. Their internet service I've had with them has been nearly flawless for years. Their tv service sucks! The dvr is an antique, picture suddenly started doing a lot of pixelating on many channels 3 months into my tv subscription, and I just don't know what to do now. I like the money savings, but it's no good if recordings cancel themselves due to signal loss...

I agree 100%. I saved the bucks, but.. is it really a savings not to have a picture to watch on many channels. Oh, and... my goodness, pixelization has been terrible. I had to go out and purchase an amplifier. Then the amplifier was contributing to the inability to get the 29 channels. For a time there, I could have bit the head off of a roofing nail. I am so glad that as of Thursday, I will be done with Charter. I have my 29 channels finally working, but... I cringe every time I turn on the tv to try to watch something. I never know if the channels are going to be there or not. Come on! Hurry up Thursday. It's too bad too. For a while there it was working out really well. Oh well, as the ship slowly sinks, maybe I can find someone to play taps in the background.

I have been fighting to just keep the system up and running for the last 2 and a half months with my Charter Television channels. I was missing 29 Channels for the most of that time. It got so bad that I phoned Directv and they will be here Thursday to do the install. I'm really disappointed in Charter though. It started out to be a very good experience, the number of channels was good, the reception was good. But then, one day they must have done something either in updating their software or done something to the line coming into my home, because when it went bad, it really went down hill fast and never recovered. I had charter tech support in my home no less than 5 times. And even at that, I was still fighting with the signal every single day just to try to get those channels I lost back. In the end, I was so fed up that now, I'm glad I'm leaving. Their internet service has been very good. But their television service leaves a lot to be desired, at least in this house anyway. So long Charter, it was good and then not so good to know ya! If you see a flash, it's me running for the door!!!

I find your posts to be interesting to say the least,they sound like a DirecTV commercial.

But cable is not for everyone and the same can be said for satellite also,so I really hope you enjoy DirecTV,but the difference between satellite and cable is with cable you can leave in a flash,but with satellite(DirecTV or Dish) new subscribers

are entering a 24 month contract for service,so if you want to leave in a flash,with satellite be ready to leave some cash(at least for 2 years).

I find your posts to be interesting to say the least,they sound like a DirecTV commercial.

But cable is not for everyone and the same can be said for satellite also,so I really hope you enjoy DirecTV,but the difference between satellite and cable is with cable you can leave in a flash,but with satellite(DirecTV or Dish) new subscribers

are entering a 24 month contract for service,so if you want to leave in a flash,with satellite be ready to leave some cash(at least for 2 years).

Oh, I'm no fanboy. By far, I'd prefer to stay with Charter. I hate two year contracts. But do you want to know what I hate worse? I hate it worse when I go to watch a football game between Alabama and Auburn on the SEC channel and I can't watch it because the signal from charter is so messed up that all I have is a black screen. I am so extremely frustrated with Charter. I have a serious medical disability. I can't hop around on one foot, while in excruciating pain and try to fix their issues any longer. I simply and honestly can't do it. And their tech support department doesn't have a clue!! If it were just a matter of exerting my will over the fact that these channels aren't working in order to get all 29 of them to work, I'd have exerted my will over them a long time ago. So, I'll gladly drop the cash if need be. Money isn't everything to everyone! Some people need to hold tightly to their pocket. What is in it will one day be gone. As for me, I will use my money to serve me. I will not serve it. Thank you for your post.

I just had to reboot my POS Charter dvr yet again, because of no HDMI video output. This happens at least once a week, and the only way to get it back is a power-cord pull reset.

Their internet service is great, their tv service sucks donkey balls...

Oh, I'm no fanboy. By far, I'd prefer to stay with Charter. I hate two year contracts. But do you want to know what I hate worse? I hate it worse when I go to watch a football game between Alabama and Auburn on the SEC channel and I can't watch it because the signal from charter is so messed up that all I have is a black screen. I am so extremely frustrated with Charter. I have a serious medical disability. I can't hop around on one foot, while in excruciating pain and try to fix their issues any longer. I simply and honestly can't do it. And their tech support department doesn't have a clue!! If it were just a matter of exerting my will over the fact that these channels aren't working in order to get all 29 of them to work, I'd have exerted my will over them a long time ago. So, I'll gladly drop the cash if need be. Money isn't everything to everyone! Some people need to hold tightly to their pocket. What is in it will one day be gone. As for me, I will use my money to serve me. I will not serve it. Thank you for your post.

It is true a business is only as good as the people they hire to maintain it,and I hear you on the disability as I am also disabled.

You know Charter is merging with Times Warner and Bright house and I am sure they would welcome your complaint,as it seems at least out here they are really starting to care,for an example the Charter installer missed the install time

to install my broadband internet and they gave me a $20. coupon to redeem against my bill,which impressed me.So I will just wish you the best and hope you find a company you can depend on.Good Luck!:oldsmile2

It is true a business is only as good as the people they hire to maintain it,and I hear you on the disability as I am also disabled.

You know Charter is merging with Times Warner and Bright house and I am sure they would welcome your complaint,as it seems at least out here they are really starting to care,for an example the Charter installer missed the install time

to install my broadband internet and they gave me a $20. coupon to redeem against my bill,which impressed me.So I will just wish you the best and hope you find a company you can depend on.Good Luck!:oldsmile2

Thank you. To Charter's credit, they did try to fix the problem. And, I also give Charter credit in that they are attempting to improve on their company's reputation. That is a good thing. BUT... The last tech support person that came to my home informed me that many others in my subdivision are having the exact same issues that I am having. I saw the other day that my neighbor now has a satellite dish on his home too. That is new, yet his having now put a dish there doesn't surprise me. The good thing is, your area is not mine. You, like many other Charter customers, are not currently having the same problems that we (me and my neighbors) are having. I'm thankful for that. And I'm truly hoping and praying that you don't have any issues at all. They do have a long ways to go. But, who knows, maybe in your area they're starting to succeed. Truth be told, They've got some work to do over all though. Good luck to you.

Last edited:
I guests it really does depend on the area. I have had Charter internet forever and TV for almost 2 years now. I haven't had any signal issues in that time. I also can't complain about their DVRs/ set-top boxes because I have never had any in my house. I started from day one with a TiVo Roamio and TiVo Mini and I'm really happy with that setup.

I switched to Charter for the same reason you guys did. It's not only a lot cheaper, I also get more channels. If the service isn't working I can see how that wouldn't be worth the benefits. Luckily I haven't run into that problem yet.

Reactions: old corps and Spike
I guests it really does depend on the area. I have had Charter internet forever and TV for almost 2 years now. I haven't had any signal issues in that time. I also can't complain about their DVRs/ set-top boxes because I have never had any in my house. I started from day one with a TiVo Roamio and TiVo Mini and I'm really happy with that setup.

I switched to Charter for the same reason you guys did. It's not only a lot cheaper, I also get more channels. If the service isn't working I can see how that wouldn't be worth the benefits. Luckily I haven't run into that problem yet.

And that is what it takes, one neighborhood at a time. I do think Charter is attempting to turn it around and gain momentum. I really really did enjoy it, while it lasted and while it was working. I wouldn't have changed if I didn't have to. That is for sure. And thank God for Tivo, without that.. I wouldn't have even considered Charter. Their HD DVR's are very poor IMO.

Charter has a new guide they are testing(sounds like Dish) if they don't get it out in a timely fashion I can see myself looking into the Tivo option.

If I start having signal problems I can see myself going the Sling TV route because of the high speed broadband that Charter provides plus they do have no caps for at least 7 years.

Before the merger Charter and all the other cable owners before they all sucked all they could provide out here was 89 channels in standard definition,no cable internet,or voice.

Now all that has changed and so much if I had this before I would have never been a satellite dish customer.

Charter has a new guide they are testing(sounds like Dish) if they don't get it out in a timely fashion I can see myself looking into the Tivo option.

If I start having signal problems I can see myself going the Sling TV route because of the high speed broadband that Charter provides plus they do have no caps for at least 7 years.

Before the merger Charter and all the other cable owners before they all sucked all they could provide out here was 89 channels in standard definition,no cable internet,or voice.

Now all that has changed and so much if I had this before I would have never been a satellite dish customer.

Charter has been using that sales ploy that they are coming out with that new guide (The World Box) for going on 3 years now. I hope that they get it out soon. Until then, it might just as well be Vaporware! POOF, once it comes out of the salesmen's mouths, it's gone... Now please sign on the dotted line.. and here is your 4 year old DVR 2 tuner box. Enjoy!

Charter has been using that sales ploy that they are coming out with that new guide (The World Box) for going on 3 years now. I hope that they get it out soon. Until then, it might just as well be Vaporware! POOF, once it comes out of the salesmen's mouths, it's gone... Now please sign on the dotted line.. and here is your 4 year old DVR 2 tuner box. Enjoy!

You know what I do? I am kinda into the technical side of it,so when the Charter installer did not give us a user manual for their HD DVR I google it and download it to my desktop.

Here's what I found out about Charter's HD DVRs,I have a Motorola DCX 3510M and Arris DCX 3520eM:

They have a 1 hour Live Buffer.

They can do 7.1 Dolby Digital.

They can provide a 1080p/24/30/60 picture.

They have 3 Tuners 2 Tuners for regular viewing and recordings,I Tuner for PiP.

They can do MoCA when setup correctly.

They can show a 3D picture.

The Hard Drive is 500GB,but the HDDVR has the ability to accept External Hard Drives if it was setup to do this.

All of these features these boxes can do,if the cable company needs or wants to provide these features for their subscribers.

It's true the guide is dated,but the other features these boxes have to say the least is very impressive to me.

On Charter's website they do show the new guide and say it's being tested in Reno and St. Louis.So we will see.

Reactions: Spike
You know what I do? I am kinda into the technical side of it,so when the Charter installer did not give us a user manual for their HD DVR I google it and download it to my desktop.

Here's what I found out about Charter's HD DVRs,I have a Motorola DCX 3510M and Arris DCX 3520eM:

They have a 1 hour Live Buffer.

They can do 7.1 Dolby Digital.

They can provide a 1080p/24/30/60 picture.

They have 3 Tuners 2 Tuners for regular viewing and recordings,I Tuner for PiP.

They can do MoCA when setup correctly.

They can show a 3D picture.

The Hard Drive is 500GB,but the HDDVR has the ability to accept External Hard Drives if it was setup to do this.

All of these features these boxes can do,if the cable company needs or wants to provide these features for their subscribers.

It's true the guide is dated,but the other features these boxes have to say the least is very impressive to me.

On Charter's website they do show the new guide and say it's being tested in Reno and St. Louis.So we will see.

When they finally release those new cloud based services and guides to everyone, so they can use them (and not just a few), it will be revolutionary. I hope they do this SOON. Testing has been going on for a very long time. Yet, the pay off at the end of the tunnel should be worth it, when all is said and done, beyond a doubt.

When they finally release those new cloud based services and guides to everyone, so they can use them (and not just a few), it will be revolutionary. I hope they do this SOON. Testing has been going on for a very long time. Yet, the pay off at the end of the tunnel should be worth it, when all is said and done, beyond a doubt.

These HDDVR boxes remind me of the Dish 625/ VIP622/VIP722/VIP722k and the DirecTV R-22 which the guides have a similar look.

The new guide they show on the Charter website has a similar look to the new Dish,DirecTV,and Comcast guide.

It gives me something to look forward to and I did this same waiting game for a new guide with DirecTV and Dish.

Reactions: Spike
These HDDVR boxes remind me of the Dish 625/ VIP622/VIP722/VIP722k and the DirecTV R-22 which the guides have a similar look.

The new guide they show on the Charter website has a similar look to the new Dish,DirecTV,and Comcast guide.

It gives me something to look forward to and I did this same waiting game for a new guide with DirecTV and Dish.

Jhon, I'm very curious as to what that new guide looks like. Could you and would you please copy an post the link to the website that shows a picture of what it looks like? i'd love to take a look at that.

EDIT: Ahhhhhh! I found it.... Under search for New Spectrum Guide. That video hasn't been accessible to everyone for very long. I've looked for it many times before. Hopefully that is a good sign as to the approach of the "World Box's" national release, yet.. it has been a long time in coming, so who knows... The integration and UI features look pretty nice. I hope that all goes well for you! Enjoy.

Last edited:
Jhon, I'm very curious as to what that new guide looks like. Could you and would you please copy an post the link to the website that shows a picture of what it looks like? i'd love to take a look at that.

EDIT: Ahhhhhh! I found it.... Under search for New Spectrum Guide. That video hasn't been accessible to everyone for very long. I've looked for it many times before. Hopefully that is a good sign as to the approach of the "World Box's" national release, yet.. it has been a long time in coming, so who knows... The integration and UI features look pretty nice. I hope that all goes well for you! Enjoy.

Spike appreciate the good thoughts,unfortunately I probably will have to get a Tivo Bolt before they bring out the new guide or the "World Box".

The only thing that is holding me back on the Tivo is their 30 Live Buffer which I don't care for,I will probably wait until after Christmas to see if anything shows up.:oldsmile2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)